Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any correctional officers on the green screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDCJ job search. It list all job openings, requirements, location and pay for all jobs with the prison system in the state. Some require ged or diploma, others some certification and some a degree. Look for the job he thinks he would like and it will tell him what unit it is on and what the requirements are. I will add that although each unit has the same rules throughout the state there is a huge difference in how each individual unit is ran. Each time a unit gets a new warden the feel of the unit is changed.

Comment

He has been looking at the website.

The schooling question was mine.

Comment

I worked for TDCJ after I got out of the military and now with the Feds as a Rec Spec. If he could go the federal route I would highly suggest it. Here is the link for the requirements for a federal correctional officer. Hope it can help.

Comment

Retired from the Feds, so glad that I did. Wolfpack, I am assuming that you work at Three Rivers. When did you go to work there?

Comment

9yrs ago started when I was 25yrs old , 33 now, moved up pretty fast picked up my gs-8 in three years , then my nine a year after that for rec

Comment

It's a dangerous job, just as dangerous as officers on the street , the inmates can hurt you comes with the territory but if you treat them with respect they respect you and that goes a long way just do your job and dont cut corners!!

Comment

I did it for a short time. Got a medical discharge from the military and my wife was about 4 months pregnant so I needed to find something to do. I saw some odd things while there; some funny, some gross, some strange, etc. The inmates for the most part know the drill and go about their business. The workforce is a rainbow coalition of people. In my training class there was a retired homicide detective (who I learned a lot from), a recently divorced grandma, a lady who seemed book smart but was slow as can be on everything else (shot my target three times during firearms qualification). I worked the 6pm to 6am shift and it was a grind. Day shift would fly by with everything happening, opposite at night.

Comment

I have worked with 4 or 5 ex CO's over the years. State and fed. They sure didnt paint a rosy picture. They were much happier working for major oil companies, not dealing with inmates, making more money and better retirement.

Comment

Thought I might know you, I retired from Three Rivers July 2009.

Comment

Missed me by a year barnes but I'm pretty sure you know alot of staff that are still their , I was hired on in 2010 first got picked up by Beaumont human resources some how messed up my paperwork and three rivers picked me a month or two later good thing though close to home , Everyone has different career paths some like it some dont it's what you make of it , I'm not rich by no means but my career let's me live a comfortable life and enjoy my hobbies I love what I do and as long as I get to walk out the front door and go home to my family that's all that matters!!!

Comment

Hey cur dog I hope any information we gave you will help your son with his decision and help with a new career choice if I can help somebody out better themselves then my day is complete, have a nice day yall have to make breakfast just got out of the blind!!

Comment

Yes sir, had some rough spots, but wouldn’t trade it for anything now. And can honestly say that my time at Three Rivers was the highlight of my career. Retired from UNICOR as a GS-12 Factory Manager. Miss all of my friends from there. Be safe!

Comment

I agree with these guys. I started with the state back in the early 80's, then went the Federal route. A lot of opportunities once you get in. The state CO is a young mans game. I have since moved on to Federal law enforcement, but it all started with the military and transitioning out as a state CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrisler View Post
                              Rec Spec myself. 6-2 Mon-Fri. Hunt any evening in the winter and golf any evening is the summer!! LOL 7 more years and I can retire at 49!
                              Where you at baw? Oakdale! Eleck?

Comment

Yes sir will !! Sweet Rivers

Comment

Working...
                                X