School me on SxS Shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have or use SxS Shotguns. Have always wanted one just because i think they are cool. just wanted to get some education on them any likes dislikes fav models brands ya know the normal run down the brain power of the GS can pull together.

The barrels are next to each other instead of one on top of the other....

For the last probably 10 years, my SxS 20ga has been the only shotgun I've used for everything. I just got an O/U to try out though.
    Only thing that messes me up a little is the longer shots. Because the barrels are not parallel and point inwards so the POI is the same at about 20ish yards this makes the left barrel shoot to the right and vice versa. On Longer crossing shots, I have to think about which barrel I'm shooting and adjust my lead accordingly. Takes a second to think and adjust that you dont have with an O/U or Semi auto
    Last edited by DirtyDave; 10-04-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Love my Charles Daly!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post

For the last probably 10 years, my SxS 20ga has been the only shotgun I've used for everything. I just got an O/U to try out though.
        Only thing that messes me up a little is the longer shots. Because the barrels are not parallel and point inwards so the POI is the same at about 20ish yards this makes the left barrel shoot to the right and vice versa. On Longer crossing shots, I have to think about which barrel I'm shooting and adjust my lead accordingly. Takes a second to think and adjust that you dont have with an O/U or Semi auto

That makes a lot of sense about the leading. What brand is your 20?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          Love my Charles Daly!
          Thanks for the tip! will do some research into them!

Comment

Fox 12ga. 2x Full & full here. I use it during dove season with fast loads (1300fps+). Single trigger. Just put the bird between the ends of the barrels and shoot.

Comment

Fox 530a 410. Made in 1947 is all I have in sxs.

Comment

School me on Shotguns:

I think The Winchester Model 21 was the only SxS shotgun in the company's lineup for all those pre-64 years they ever made. Wish I had snagged one back in the day when they were easier to obtain without draining the wallet. Amazing how their value continue to sky rocket. If you got lucky enough to find one at the right price, you could shoot & enjoy it & then likely sell it for mare than you paid down the road. This is a SxS I would like to own.

I've transferred a few of the recent Beretta's but really never got that too deep into many of the current offerings of SxS's in general.

What you want to look for in a shooter especially of looking at used / older.

Extractors vs Ejectors: Do you want the shells to be popped out after breaking open or pull them empties out yourself??

Splinter vs Beavertail forearm: You will not want a splinter for any high volume shooting or you will be touching hot barrels.

single vs double triggers:

Anyway, your thread got me thinking and here are two examples of the differences I recently consigned:

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post

Most sxs shotguns are regulated to hit point of aim at 30 to 40 yards. I shot a relatively cheap Spanish double for several years (with a 26” barrel) and it was the best dove gun I owned until I bought my Citori. It was IC and Mod but European guns are choked a tad tighter than American guns.

Comment

I have 2 and like them both. I have one in classified as trying to get different now like a horizontal bow [emoji41]. SxS have small following but are fun to shoot. I much prefer a double over a semi. SxS and O/U work close to the same depending on brand and manufacture. Also love that I don’t have to chase hulls all over the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by bmac; 10-04-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      School me on Shotguns:

I think The Winchester Model 21 was the only SxS shotgun in the company's lineup for all those pre-64 years they ever made. Wish I had snagged one back in the day when they were easier to obtain without draining the wallet. Amazing how their value continue to sky rocket. If you got lucky enough to find one at the right price, you could shoot & enjoy it & then likely sell it for mare than you paid down the road. This is a SxS I would like to own.
                      You just made me realize my grandpa's old shotgun is worth a hell of a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        School me on Shotguns:

I've transferred a few of the recent Beretta's but really never got that too deep into many of the current offerings of SxS's in general.

What you want to look for in a shooter especially of looking at used / older.

Extractors vs Ejectors: Do you want the shells to be popped out after breaking open or pull them empties out yourself??

Splinter vs Beavertail forearm: You will not want a splinter for any high volume shooting or you will be touching hot barrels.

single vs double triggers:

Anyway, your thread got me thinking and here are two examples of the differences I recently consigned:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/823774878
                        The Winchester Model 24 side-by-side shotgun went into production in 1939 and stayed in the line until 1958. The Model 24 was intended to compete with the likes of the Stevens 311 and Savage/Fox Model B as an affordable, utility side-by-side.

Comment

Working...
                        X