RCBS 10-10 scale issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCBS 10-10 scale issue...

I have an older RCBS 10-10 scale and use a Franklin Arsenal digital scale to verify my charges. I've noticed lately that my 10-10 scale is reading about .4 grains less than the digital scale. I have calibrated the digital scale each time I load and it reads consistently .4 grains lower than what the 10-10 indicates.

Anyone ever have this issue? Send it back to RCBS?

Clean everything on the 1010, and re test. You could have dust throwing the weight off. Pay attention to the pivot point. I believe gravity over an electronic any day. I only use electronics to spot measure anything. All powder on the 1010.

Do you have any test weights?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
      Clean everything on the 1010, and re test. You could have dust throwing the weight off. Pay attention to the pivot point. I believe gravity over an electronic any day. I only use electronics to spot measure anything. All powder on the 1010.

Do you have any test weights?
      Ditto.

Comment

Like mentioned, clean the pivot points. You can also rub a pencil lead on the points of the beam(sparingly) to help lube the points. If this doesn't change anything I'd be suspect of the electronic scale.

Comment

Have you tried to weigh a certified weight or compared it against another beam scale?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Y'all have said the same things that I found elsewhere online.

I don't have any certified check weights and don't know where to find any locally. I haven't been suspect of the electronic scale, but this time I'm skeptical of both. In the past, the 10-10 and the electronic scale have been spot on.

Comment

When I started noticing variance between my RCBS scale and digital scale the issue was with the digital unit. Hard to beat the overall accuracy of a good beam scale when they are functioning properly.

Comment

As said, may just need cleaning. However, there were two differnt locations where the 10-10 was originally made and the quality depends on which location -- see bottom of scale. I believe the ones made in Mexico were the better ones, but I could be wrong. Also, there is a guy (or used to be) that specialized in tuning these things. His name is Scott Parker. Not sure if he is still doing this, but if interested you might google his name to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                  As said, may just need cleaning. However, there were two differnt locations where the 10-10 was originally made and the quality depends on which location -- see bottom of scale. I believe the ones made in Mexico were the better ones, but I could be wrong. Also, there is a guy (or used to be) that specialized in tuning these things. His name is Scott Parker. Not sure if he is still doing this, but if interested you might google his name to find out.
                  Scott Parker could make a beam scale measure one kernel of Varget, unfortunately his business ethics were less than stellar and many folks never got their scales back or waited years. He is a chemical engineer out of California. My understanding was the pivot points were polished to a razor edge and tuned up.

To the OP, if you need a weight I may have an extra I could send you. PM me your address.

There is a way to calibrate the RCBS if its off, on the bottom side of the pan holder is a screw, be careful when taking the screw out as there is lead shot inside there. You will have to add or subtract one lead shot and re assemble. Check with calibration weight and continue this until the beam is displaying the perfect weight. It is not hard to do, I aint too smart and can do it.

Comment

I had to remove a few led shot to calibrate mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      Scott Parker could make a beam scale measure one kernel of Varget, unfortunately his business ethics were less than stellar and many folks never got their scales back or waited years. He is a chemical engineer out of California. My understanding was the pivot points were polished to a razor edge and tuned up.

To the OP, if you need a weight I may have an extra I could send you. PM me your address.

There is a way to calibrate the RCBS if its off, on the bottom side of the pan holder is a screw, be careful when taking the screw out as there is lead shot inside there. You will have to add or subtract one lead shot and re assemble. Check with calibration weight and continue this until the beam is displaying the perfect weight. It is not hard to do, I aint too smart and can do it.

RADAR,

I sent you a PM.

The scale was always spot on with the electronic until just recently. I'm not too sure what happened. I'll clean it real well and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        RADAR,

I sent you a PM.

The scale was always spot on with the electronic until just recently. I'm not too sure what happened. I'll clean it real well and see what happens.
                        I will send out the weight in the morning, you can keep it. May need to use it to check the digital one periodically.

Comment

Mine did the same thing just recently and this is how I fixed it. Put the scale on level surface and with a level on top of it get it level with the adjustment. Then take the pan apart and add of remove the shot to get it calibrated, I am not sure what happened to mine because I had to cut a piece of 7 1/2 shot in half to get mine correct.

Comment

I have had the same problem

Scale would not calibrate and had to remove 1 lead shot and back in business.

I know dang well that there was not that much dust on mine

Now some gremlin may have come in like a ninja and added a lead shot while I was off my guard but I can neither prove or disprove that

Key is to find a calibration weight and go by that.

Comment

Silly me! It came to me yesterday afternoon on my way home that the 10-10 scale comes with its own check weight! Duh! Sure enough I checked and there it was. It's a 250 gr. check weight. I set it on the scale and checked it and it appears to be .1 grain off. Then put it on the electronic scale and it registered 250.0 grains.

I checked for level on the 10-10 and the top of my bench is not quite level, therefore the scale isn't level, but not by much. I always adjust the scale so the pointer is dead on even on an unlevel surface before loading.

I've moved into a new house and the loading bench has changed locations so it's not perfectly level. I guess I need to level the bench and then recheck with the check weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X