Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marioq View Post
    So how did you do????
    I had a great hunt. I didn't shoot anything but had some good chances. I'm assuming that they close down the East Lake tract for your hunt. They did for mine, it was moved to the Schalaben tract. I did a thread on my hunt

Comment

Hunted there 3 years ago on the shotgun/muzzleloader only, deer hunt. Be careful with the snakes. I almost walked up on a 4 footer on the road. It didn't rattle but I had seen it move about 6 feet in front of me of to the side of the road. We took 2 deer out of there. Lots of walking to get to the back side. There is a road/trail that goes E and W. to the flats way further North of the parking area. That's where we saw two deer, shot one. The parking area has no lights and it gets pretty dark after the sun goes down. I have a CHL so I carried my Glock with me as well. I'll be hunting there in February. Got drawn for the exotic hunt. Good luck, stay safe.

Comment

Uodate

So just got an email that they found fever ticks at east lake. We got moved to a different plot of land del Rey. Near tenniente 1400 acres. Should be. A good hunt. Only a few of us and hasn’t been hunted since 1993.

Comment

Saw some

So just got an email that they found fever ticks at east lake. We got moved to a different plot of land del Rey. Near tenniente 1400 acres. Should be. A good hunt. Only a few of us and hasn’t been hunted since 1993.
          Saw some. Really excited.
          Attached Files

Comment

^^ Awesome!

Kiddo has a youth hunt at East lake coming up next week, but no email or call yet. Are they sending these right before the hunt or how much lead time are they giving people?

Comment

Not sure

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              ^^ Awesome!

Kiddo has a youth hunt at East lake coming up next week, but no email or call yet. Are they sending these right before the hunt or how much lead time are they giving people?
              Not sure but we tagged out. 4 Nilgai bulls. Only found 2. I’m going to tell you from a. West coast mountain elk hunters point of view. If u shoot one of these, like an elk, keep shooting till they are down and watch them. Toughest animals I’ve ever hunted. We had 2 of them down on the ground and 20 seconds later stood up and ran 200 yards. Good hits too 6.5 creedmore with 129 gr interbonds.

Thinking maybe should have used 140 gr.
              But my reloading bench is not set up so I have to use stock ammo. The ELDM/ELDX bullets I thought were to friable. However maybe they would’ve done better for this application.

Like I said, two solid hits and the animal got up after 10 to 20 seconds and ran away no blood trail. We did recover two of them and even the one that was hit in the lungs and heart ran 120 yards without a problem

A great hunt. The kids loved it and I think it will be an enjoyable memory for the rest of their lives. For sure it will be it for me

Comment

You have to shoot them in neck with that small of a gun.

Comment

Kiddo gonna be using my 300 short mag with 200gr ELD-X so hopefully that'll get the job done.
                  I need to call them up and figure out if he's getting moved or not so I can plan accordingly. I've got an RV spot reserved too so if they move us hopefully not too far away.

Comment

Kiddo gonna be using my 300 short mag with 200gr ELD-X so hopefully that'll get the job done.
                    I need to call them up and figure out if he's getting moved or not so I can plan accordingly. I've got an RV spot reserved too so if they move us hopefully not too far away.

Well I know neck shots are what I would have done. But at 11&13, trying to teach them the “right”way and u til the practice enough to clover leaf 3 shots, it’s big target time. What I was amazed at was that they all hit the ground hard and I figured high shoulder good shots. Spinal shock dropped them but aorta and vena cava would make
                    Blood loss fast. Also lungs gone should make them stop. NOPE!!!! Things are tougher than elk by far!! Shoot till the don’t move!!!!

Comment

Here’s one

Comment

Congrats, sounds like an awesome hunt for y’all. Glad y’all are taking home a lot of meat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot the shoulder itself. Take out the running gear and they won’t go far. Vitals are tight behind the shoulder so you’ll get them too. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I know neck shots are what I would have done. But at 11&13, trying to teach them the “right”way and u til the practice enough to clover leaf 3 shots, it’s big target time. What I was amazed at was that they all hit the ground hard and I figured high shoulder good shots. Spinal shock dropped them but aorta and vena cava would make
                            Blood loss fast. Also lungs gone should make them stop. NOPE!!!! Things are tougher than elk by far!! Shoot till the don’t move!!!!
                            I'm with you on the vitals (I think you quoted the wrong post). But I forgot to tell you CONGRATS on the hunt and 2 of those animals are an insane amount of work I'd imagine. Any snakes or other concerns?

Comment

I'm with you on the vitals (I think you quoted the wrong post). But I forgot to tell you CONGRATS on the hunt and 2 of those animals are an insane amount of work I'd imagine. Any snakes or other concerns?
                              Saw one small rattle snake but wasn’t an issue. Had 12 pigs come by us at 10 yards. Too dark to shoot and they didn’t know we were there. That was cool. No other concerns. Cool place.

I was busy giving food away yesterday. That was funny. Taking to process today. I have kept it on ice in the yetty all day and night.

Goid luck to those that hunt this. I think it’s a gem and a great place.

Comment

Thanks for the info. My boys have the Jan 1st hunt. And congrats on your success.

Comment

Working...
                                X