Hagerman Nocona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice?

Hello all, I’m brand new to archery, deer, and public land hunting. Didn’t grow up hunting deer but trying to expand my hunting experience and spend more time outdoors.
    This section of public is one of the closest to me, being in the northwest DFW area (LBJ Grasslands is closest but the volume is a bit overwhelming for a beginner). Would y’all say this is a good place for a newbie to get some experience, maybe run into some deer and/or hogs? Or should I spend my time elsewhere?
    Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you experienced folks, and hopefully getting my first deer sometime soon!

Blessings, Danny_DeerVito

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_DeerVito View Post
      Hello all, I’m brand new to archery, deer, and public land hunting. Didn’t grow up hunting deer but trying to expand my hunting experience and spend more time outdoors.
      This section of public is one of the closest to me, being in the northwest DFW area (LBJ Grasslands is closest but the volume is a bit overwhelming for a beginner). Would y’all say this is a good place for a newbie to get some experience, maybe run into some deer and/or hogs? Or should I spend my time elsewhere?
      Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you experienced folks, and hopefully getting my first deer sometime soon!

Blessings, Danny_DeerVito
      Well, for being a small unit, it is still big enough to be exhausting. We did a 5 mile scouting trip a few weeks ago and it kicked my butt. Its a brand new unit, this is only the second year its been open to my knowledge. That's good, and bad. There aren't many clear trails to follow, so most of the walking is bush whacking it through waist/chest high fields. There is only one legal access point, as its surrounded by private land, that's both good and bad as well. It keeps others from going to some spots, and that may include you if you aren't willing to go there. But, we also didn't find any cameras, tree stands, bait piles, or trail markers. The only other hunter sign we saw was a boot print in the creek bottom, but, several people had signed in on the sing in sheet at the access point recently, so it does get hit. Being archery only now probably helps a lot on the hunting pressure. Fair warning, we did find several cotton mouths, so be careful especially around the creeks. As with any unit, there is sign for both pigs and deer. Wallers, scat. Didn't find any spectacular sign though, not a ton of big rubs or rubs at all, not many scrapes or anything crazy. The first trip is always the hardest, once you figure it out it does get easier, I plan on giving it several more attempts. However, on the scale, I wouldn't say that it was an easy unit, but, what public land unit is easy?

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
        Well, for being a small unit, it is still big enough to be exhausting. We did a 5 mile scouting trip a few weeks ago and it kicked my butt. Its a brand new unit, this is only the second year its been open to my knowledge. That's good, and bad. There aren't many clear trails to follow, so most of the walking is bush whacking it through waist/chest high fields. There is only one legal access point, as its surrounded by private land, that's both good and bad as well. It keeps others from going to some spots, and that may include you if you aren't willing to go there. But, we also didn't find any cameras, tree stands, bait piles, or trail markers. The only other hunter sign we saw was a boot print in the creek bottom, but, several people had signed in on the sing in sheet at the access point recently, so it does get hit. Being archery only now probably helps a lot on the hunting pressure. Fair warning, we did find several cotton mouths, so be careful especially around the creeks. As with any unit, there is sign for both pigs and deer. Wallers, scat. Didn't find any spectacular sign though, not a ton of big rubs or rubs at all, not many scrapes or anything crazy. The first trip is always the hardest, once you figure it out it does get easier, I plan on giving it several more attempts. However, on the scale, I wouldn't say that it was an easy unit, but, what public land unit is easy?
        A lot of helpful information, thank you very much!!
        I have no problem putting a lot of miles on the boots and trying to get to the harder-to-reach spots. Really just looking to expand my knowledge of deer and public land hunting. Any sightings or opportunities are just a bonus.

Does anyone know how strictly enforced the “no camping” rule is? This spot is about 1.5hrs away from me, so it’d be nice to just sleep in the back of my truck for a night or two instead of driving 3 hours for one day.

Comment

A lot of helpful information, thank you very much!!
          I have no problem putting a lot of miles on the boots and trying to get to the harder-to-reach spots. Really just looking to expand my knowledge of deer and public land hunting. Any sightings or opportunities are just a bonus.

Does anyone know how strictly enforced the “no camping” rule is? This spot is about 1.5hrs away from me, so it’d be nice to just sleep in the back of my truck for a night or two instead of driving 3 hours for one day.
          That I do not know. You might be able to pull off sleeping in the truck, I just wouldn't go setting up a tent and starting a camp fire. There isn't really anywhere to park let alone camp. Its literally a one lane dirt road with fence and head high grass on both sides, there isn't anywhere to camp even if you wanted too. I think you can find a hotel or other camp sites/RV parks nearby though.

Comment

That I do not know. You might be able to pull off sleeping in the truck, I just wouldn't go setting up a tent and starting a camp fire. There isn't really anywhere to park let alone camp. Its literally a one lane dirt road with fence and head high grass on both sides, there isn't anywhere to camp even if you wanted too. I think you can find a hotel or other camp sites/RV parks nearby though.
            Much appreciated. Good point, looks like some campsites around Lake Nocona. Not exceptionally close, but I’ll take 30 minutes over an hour and a half.

Comment

Much appreciated. Good point, looks like some campsites around Lake Nocona. Not exceptionally close, but I’ll take 30 minutes over an hour and a half.
              Dont forget to print and sign the tear off waver sheet to keep on your person. They have a book at the front, but it was out of sheets when we went, and I dont know how often they refill the binder.

Comment

I thought they went to a smartphone app to sign in/out

Comment

there was a book to sing in when I went by there 2 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    I thought they went to a smartphone app to sign in/out

Yes, My Texas Hunt Harvest app. You can sign in using the app.

Comment

I used the app and book just to cover my bases.
                      Still need to print and sign the regulations/waiver sheet as they have yet to refill them in the sign in binder.

Comment

Well, I went to check my camera and someone broke the lock and pried it open and stole my SD card out of it.

Comment

Well, I went to check my camera and someone broke the lock and pried it open and stole my SD card out of it.
                          Ah yes, the great joys of public. Well at least they didn't just take the camera. I've had that happen before on some different public land.

Gotten to the point where I never set a camera up unless I know it's way off the beaten path, and even then I check it at least once a week and carry a bunch of extra cards.

Comment

LOL at least they left your cam

Comment

I mean it’s not like I put it on the main trail by the gate. It was a mile and half back in, above head high in a bedding area Cable locked to the tree. They couldn’t cut the cable but managed to pry the plastic open and brake the latch enough to get the SD card out. Pretty disappointed, it was on a good trail with rubs going into the bedding area, someone got some nice pictures...

Comment

Who are these dang people??? Do they not understand that it is not their camera? Karma or whatever truly needs to be REAL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X