Outboard rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard rebuild question

Looks like I will be buying an early 2000s center console boat from my FIL. Its a good deal and in good shape except...the motor needs to be rebuilt (250hp Yamaha, freshwater use only).

Do you guys recommend anyone in the Lewisville, Denton area for the rebuild?

Also, have any of you had a 250hp rebuilt and would you make that choice again vs buying a used reconditioned motor? Looks like it will cost about 5k for the rebuild and 7.5k give or take for reconditoned. New is out of the question at 30kish for an older boat.

Thank you

Originally posted by ktex View Post
    Looks like I will be buying an early 2000s center console boat from my FIL. Its a good deal and in good shape except...the motor needs to be rebuilt (250hp Yamaha, freshwater use only).

Do you guys recommend anyone in the Lewisville, Denton area for the rebuild?

Also, have any of you had a 250hp rebuilt and would you make that choice again vs buying a used reconditioned motor? Looks like it will cost about 5k for the rebuild and 7.5k give or take for reconditoned. New is out of the question at 30kish for an older boat.

Thank you
    What’s wrong with the 250?

Comment

I have a buddy that has a 2013 Mercury Pro XS 250 he is just listing for sale. I think he wants about 7 grand. I runs good and he is still using it. He is switching to a 4 stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
        What’s wrong with the 250?
        Top left cylinder rod broke and he found parts of it along with the wrist pin in the exhaust.....and its actually a 225hp my bad.
        Last edited by ktex; 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM. Reason: Corrected HP

Comment

Gonna need to take it apart to see how much damage that rod did. Does he remember how fast he shut it down after it threw? With a lot of damage to cylinder wall it may not be salvageable

Comment

It threw a rod?? Guaranteed toast. A rebuild will require a short block for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
              Gonna need to take it apart to see how much damage that rod did. Does he remember how fast he shut it down after it threw? With a lot of damage to cylinder wall it may not be salvageable
              Probably not. He was going to put in a short block so he never got around to taking it apart to check for damage. If I had to replace the block + probably rebuild what do you think I would be looking at cost wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                It threw a rod?? Guaranteed toast. A rebuild will require a short block for starters.
                If that is the case what do you think I'm looking at $ wise to get it up and running. The $5k # he gave me may have included block + rebuild but I'll have to ask him to clarify tomorrow.

Comment

Anyone know the ballpark cost to replace the small block and install on a 225hp oil injectected 2 stroke outboard?

Comment

Have no idea how many hours a mechanic will bill for. Last long block I bought was 12 years ago and a 4 cylinder Merc. Paid $2700 for it. Short block ,if available will be cheaper to buy but more hours than a long block. I know you said it was out of the question, but if you plan on keeping the boat for a time, I'd bite the bullet on a new 4 stroke. How big is the boat?
                    Last edited by Walker; 08-06-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Have no idea how many hours a mechanic will bill for. Last long block I bought was 12 years ago and a 4 cylinder Merc. Paid $2700 for it. Short block ,if available will be cheaper to buy but more hours than a long block. I know you said it was out of the question, but if you plan on keeping the boat for a time, I'd bite the bullet on a new 4 stroke. How big is the boat?
                      I may do that. It's 24ft. 2001 Bay Stealth. This will only be used on lakes and maybe pull my daughter around on a tube. Do you think a 150 or 175 would be sufficient for what I want to do?

Comment

What is the max horsepower rating on the boat? I wouldn't go more than about 50 hp less than that. You will probably be happy with max hp allowed. You can never have too much power, but you sure can wish you had more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          What is the max horsepower rating on the boat? I wouldn't go more than about 50 hp less than that. You will probably be happy with max hp allowed. You can never have too much power, but you sure can wish you had more power.
                          Thats a good point, I have him check. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
                            I may do that. It's 24ft. 2001 Bay Stealth. This will only be used on lakes and maybe pull my daughter around on a tube. Do you think a 150 or 175 would be sufficient for what I want to do?
                            150 will not be enough. Id say the 175 or 200 would be plenty. I'd also take a good look at Suzuki. It you go 4 stroke all the electronic from the motor will have to be changed out.

Comment

150 will not be enough. Id say the 175 or 200 would be plenty. I'd also take a good look at Suzuki. It you go 4 stroke all the electronic from the motor will have to be changed out.
                              Will do, is changing out the electronics fairly expensive? The deeper I go the more I'm starting to wonder if I just need to buy a new boat instead. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X