Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? Calling Yotes

I know there are past threads on the topic & I’ve scrubbed through them
    I have yotes commonly fire up in the evenings behind my place. I’ve tried here & there calling with not much luck
    Question I have is when is the best “time” to call? Early morning, late evening, etc
    For the record I have no time barriers on visibility as I’m using a thermal scope
    This time of year what’s best time frame window to call from yalls experience or does it really matter?
    Thanks

I like early morning, but they are opportunistic. Catch one hungry, and they will come anytime.

Comment

I have had better luck in the evenings. The last hour of daylight has been very successful for me. I have killed a fair amount at night under spot light but never really paid attention to the time. Hoping to start playing the thermal game very soon!

Comment

If it's cold outside, all day long. The best time is night time so that's what I'd do since you can. That's when predators are on their feet.

Comment

Late evening and night time is when I have had the best luck calling yotes. I used a fox call (sounds like a distressed rabbit of used loud enough) as well as a tape player in a ammo can with a loud speaker hooked up to it and a tape of distressed rabbit screaming.

Comment

We call with a Foxpro late in the evening, early morning and at night with so so results.
            Best results I have on coyotes is to shoot a big ole pig, put it in the middle of the field about 125 yds away from the blind. Kick back in the blind and keep watch with the thermal monocular. When the coyotes show up for dinner let them have a 52 gr HP at a tad over 4,000 fps. DRT Got my thermal earlier this year and have killed 17 yotes from my blind so far. Sure has helped my fawn crop.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have had success calling all times of the day, but it seems better at first and last light. Also at night time hours around 11:30 - 1:30 seem to be peak time from what i have seen. If you know a cold front or storm is coming hunt the evening/night before they will be up looking for food.

Comment

I’ve been out calling with no luck yet. They fire up every evening starting at dark 30
                Trying adult cottontail distress
                I called a red fox in back last spring with juvenile fox distress in 1 minute. Hammered him as he got two of my chickens
                I don’t have pup distress call on my caller but a few bird calls
                What else are good sounds?

Comment

Surefire method is hunting over a dead pig at night where i'm at.

Comment

Cottontail or jackrabbit in distress. I've called them in with bird sounds too though. Mostly I'll just use rabbit if I'm using prey in distress sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                      We call with a Foxpro late in the evening, early morning and at night with so so results.

Best results I have on coyotes is to shoot a big ole pig, put it in the middle of the field about 125 yds away from the blind. Kick back in the blind and keep watch with the thermal monocular. When the coyotes show up for dinner let them have a 52 gr HP at a tad over 4,000 fps. DRT Got my thermal earlier this year and have killed 17 yotes from my blind so far. Sure has helped my fawn crop.
                      This sounds like what I need to do thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of thermal scope are y’all using?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          What kind of thermal scope are y’all using?
                          I use a Thermion XM50 which has a base magnification of 5.5X. It’s great for sitting in a blind hunting over bait but would not be good to use on an AR for running stuff.
                          A good thermal monocular is nice for scanning.

Comment

I’m using ATN Thor-4 on my AR-15

Comment

I know there has to be a ton of coyotes that get overlooked simply because people don't wait long enough. I know guys that won't call over 15 minutes. I call for 25 minutes if I'm in a good area. Some coyotes don't just run in like you see it happen on t.v. I think that's where a lot of people that get in to predator hunting get frustrated and give up. On t.v.it looks easy because they have the power of editing and they only show the stands that produced a coyote. It's not like that in real life. You have to be super quiet and your set up has to be good because any obstruction in the land can hide a coyote from your line of sight. Can't kill what you can't see. I've seen new guys get out of their truck and shut the door like they're in the parking lot at Wal-Mart. I don't even chamber a round outside of my vehicle and if I'm calling with someone we don't talk past that point. Coyotes ain't stupid, they can hear and have a sense of smell better than you can imagine.

Calling them in is a very small part of the process. Everything you do before you get set up will determine whether that happens. And when it does you still have to hit them. And if you don't that coyote just became harder to kill. They learn quickly.

I call with my rifle shouldered and if I see a coyote coming the safety is off when it shows up. I don't make any unnecessary movements or noises. The more steps you have to go through to get that coyote shot, the more chances it has to bust you and become educated to your ways.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 11-24-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X