older bow vs latest/greatest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

older bow vs latest/greatest

may last question got me to thinking...I had planned on buying a new compound bow around jan/feb next year but my brother reminded me he has my old mathews conquest pro tucked away in the back of his closet. Now this bow is at least 30 years old but the last time I had it out it was no problem to hit fist size circle consistently-even had to stop shooting more than one at a time because I was tearing up arrows/fletching 40 yards out.

So having said all that is there really much difference in a 20 year old compound bow and this years newer model? Especially if I am keeping shots 20 yards or less?

Huge difference. The way you shoot aside, technology of today vs. 20 years ago is very different for the better. Let off percentages and choices, materials, cam designs, speed, integrate technology, tuning technology. I could go on and on. Doesn’t mean an old bow cannot be shot well. But your actual question is if there’s much difference. YES!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Huge difference. The way you shoot aside, technology of today vs. 20 years ago is very different for the better. Let off percentages and choices, materials, cam designs, speed, integrate technology, tuning technology. I could go on and on. Doesn’t mean an old bow cannot be shot well. But your actual question is if there’s much difference. YES!
      OK, maybe I should ask is the difference worth the cost? not trying to start an argument but what am I getting today that makes the bow a better hunting tool? keep in mind you are dealing with a relative newbie here...just looking for education

Comment

Originally posted by lubbockdave View Post
        OK, maybe I should ask is the difference worth the cost? not trying to start an argument but what am I getting today that makes the bow a better hunting tool? keep in mind you are dealing with a relative newbie here...just looking for education
        The answer to your second question is in my post above. Your first question is relative and subject to opinion. My opinion is yes.

Comment

My bow is 15 years old and I don’t dare shoot something new. It’d cost me some money if I did

Comment

I made the mistake of buying a new bow last year. Had it a couple of months & went back to my Mathews HeliM that I bought in 2011. Not a 30 year old bow, but I’m much more confident with it than any of the new bows that I’ve shot. It’s still handy and shoots lights out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you kill animals with a 30 year old compound? Absolutely. Is a newer bow more enjoyable to shoot? In my opinion, yes.

You don’t have to go out and get the brand new top of the line flagship bow for $2k. Heck, picking up dang near any of the 1, 2, 3 year old bows for sale on this site regularly would save you a significant chunk of change and jump you light years ahead in technology.

Comment

IMO bows are like drivers, upgrade about every 10-12 years

Comment

Get your hands on your Conquest! You May want to get it tuned, new strings eTc etc, but Whatever you do Do Not stay in the bow shop while they are working on it! Go get some lunch / take in a movie then go back and shoot it a few rounds Then get the heck outta there.

This happened to me 3 weeks ago but I stuck around , started looking at bows and ended up walking out of there with a V3X and BrOke.please listen to me lol

Comment

I started bow hunting this year after a 7 layoff. My old bow worked ok and killed deer. Went to the bow shop this year and wasn’t really looking but got a deal on a last year model Mathews. I bought it as a retirement gift to myself. I never dreamed how much I would enjoy this bow. Faster, quieter, and deadly accurate. It has rekindled my fire for bow hunting. Got 1 doe tag left and can’t wait til next season now.

Comment

Just listen to Fishndude!

Comment

I'd love to have my Martin Cheetah back.

Comment

What FND SAID
                          And I’ll add this to cost factor:

I know not everyone has the same budget for hobbies…. But I was told this long ago and believe it holds value. If you have little to no skin on the game… you don’t have a lot of motivation to get better, to shoot, practice…. And THAT makes you better!

Same as a guitar…. If you want to learn to play, and I give you a $200 guitar for $75. You probably won’t FEEL that you have to play it

Go drop $1500 on an acoustic and in a years time I’ll bet you sound better… not because of the instrument but because of the time spent on it… it’s more enjoyable, it has a better feel, you feel better playing it

Same with a bow…. If you enjoy it more, you shoot it more… you get better because of that

There were some sport changing bows in the past no doubt, but a bow that’s …. 10-12 years or older now is obsolete honestly

Comment

I hate to admit this, but yea. The bows today are so better than 20 years ago.

My first bow was a Darton Excel. Still have it and still like to shoot it from time to time.

In 2012 I got a Quest Hammer. Its shorter, quieter, faster, and has better let off. I'm still shooting it. I did think of upgrading last year, but the water softner in my home bite the big one, and with that so did my bow fund.

If you can afford it, go check out some new bows. Keep in mind the 2023 bows are just starting to come out if you're looking for a flag ship bow.

Comment

It's almost blasphemy, but make an Archery Talk account and buy used there. The classifieds there cycle way more bows than here.

Comment

Working...
                              X