Hunting Cabin Burglarized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Cabin Burglarized

Dad and I showed up early on Saturday morning in hopes of hunting the rut....instead we found our cabin in Cherokee County burglarized.

Not much to take, but they took some tools, a trolling motor and my new 12v sprayer and busted up the doors pretty good.

We can only figure a side-by-side coming in on some down fence areas towards the back of the property or someone boldly coming down the main road via a shared gate access.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a camera on the house, but have a cellular cam now...was using it to scout rather than watch the house.

Not fun at all and we did no hunting this weekend.

Plan is to pull fence across back of property where down areas are large enough for vehicle...change shared locks (been around longer than we owned the place, add an additional gate (ours only) to the shared one and add cell cams. Any other advice?

Curious what part of Cherokee county
    I live in the county in the northern part around Mixon between Troup & Jacksonville

I think you’ve done what you can
    You might file a report to police department there may be a string of these events happening in your area they may be aware of

Comment

Man I hate reading stuff like this. Meth heads are out of control all over East Texas. They’re very bold and no how to pattern us like we pattern deer. As you’ve already mentioned cameras are gonna be your best friend but hide them well.

Comment

That sucks, I lived in MN for 16 years and had some friends that had cabins up north. The Indians that live up there would kick in the front door and party in the cabin. After a few times they just left the front door unlocked. Karma will get them.

Comment

@HogHunter. Place isn't far from Jacksonville...just got some pretty good news...

We reported to police and they just called and they recovered most of our things.

Neighbor (where down fence is) called police when they found items stashed around the property...apparently thief was on foot, crossed down fence and tuckered out and dumped most of the items.

We will be putting up a mesh wire fence back there to prevent walk-in...calling someone tomorrow, but what is a good price per foot?

Comment

Glad you got your stuff back. Hope the thief steps on a rusty nail.

Comment

East Texas

Comment

Glad you got some of your things back!!! Property crimes are not victimless!!!

Sounds like you've got a good plan to up the security down there. I'd grab another couple cameras for sure and make em well hidden.

Best of luck to yall and sorry you spent the opener dealing with that BS!

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                  East Texas
                  Because there’s no crime in North, South, or West Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    Because there’s no crime in North, South, or West Texas.
                    I'm just glad you left out central Texas. Hope we are safe. :-).

Comment

Leave the doors unlocked and nothing there that you don’t want stolen.

Comment

Received this from our club president recently. Angelina County.

Members

I was just notified by the land owner that some deer leases in the area have been hit by thieves. They have been stolen trailer, cameras, four wheelers and side by sides. Please make sure all of your stuff is secure. Also be on the lookout for anything or anyone suspicious. Thieves are supposed to be in a white Chevy truck. All of our vehicles should have a Renfro decal on them. If you do not have one on your vehicle let me know and I’ll leave one for you in the #1 box.
                        Last edited by Bayouboy; 11-06-2022, 04:47 PM.

Comment

On aS. Tx lease about 10 yrs ago and we just left the trailer door wired shut and also left several cans of beans on the table with a heap can opener. Never had any damage and often we’d find the remains of a campfire and empty cans in the brush away from the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
                            @HogHunter. Place isn't far from Jacksonville...just got some pretty good news...

We reported to police and they just called and they recovered most of our things.

Neighbor (where down fence is) called police when they found items stashed around the property...apparently thief was on foot, crossed down fence and tuckered out and dumped most of the items.

We will be putting up a mesh wire fence back there to prevent walk-in...calling someone tomorrow, but what is a good price per foot?
                            Good to hear
                            You ever need me to check on things give me a holler I ain’t far away at all

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              On aS. Tx lease about 10 yrs ago and we just left the trailer door wired shut and also left several cans of beans on the table with a heap can opener. Never had any damage and often we’d find the remains of a campfire and empty cans in the brush away from the trailer.
                              sometimes helping someone help themselves works out

Comment

Working...
                              X