No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is now wolf country from what I hear haha!

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
      I am about 6 hours from where I went this time.
      I do have pics, but wasn't able to make it home last night.

A wind storm came through while I was out of town, knocked down a tree limb which took out the power at the house. When it did it also shorted one of my flat screen tv's and possibly my dryer. Won't know until they get power to the house restored.
      Haven't had time to get pics downloaded yet.
      Six hours is awesome!!!! I would be the same, but can't ever draw a NM tag.

Comment

Anyone get burned out of their unit with the big fire or one of the smaller ones?

Comment

Figured I would post some pics from last weekend:

Last edited by a3dhunter; 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

GoLite Shangri La 5

Minox MD50 and Velbon Ultra Max tripod

Big Agnes Encampment bag with insulated air core pad

Say Hello to my little friend:

Comment

Cool pix....Sept. can't get here fast enough! What kind of spotting scope set up do you use?

Replied to your email too.
              GoLite Shangri La 5

Minox MD50 and Velbon Ultra Max tripod

Big Agnes Encampment bag with insulated air core pad

Say Hello to my little friend:

Comment

I listed the scope and tripod right above the pics, but the pics are so big it made it hard to see.

Minox MD50

Comment

Great pictures. I can tell from them we couldn't hunt together, no way I could stay at that elevation long.
                  I try to camp around 8,500 feet and seldom hunt above 10,000 feet. I can't function long or sleep well above 9,500 ft.

Comment

Yea you were up there. Nice pics!

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                      Great pictures. I can tell from them we couldn't hunt together, no way I could stay at that elevation long.
                      I try to camp around 8,500 feet and seldom hunt above 10,000 feet. I can't function long or sleep well above 9,500 ft.
                      I'm starting to wonder if I'm the same way.
                      I woke up Sunday morning with some symptoms of altitude sickness, packed up and descended to lower elevation.
                      I will be planning future camps at 10k or below if possible, we'll see.

Comment

I worked a full week at 12,500 ft and after about the second day I was only doing about a quarter of what I started out at. It was a struggle to get trough that.

Comment

3D,

How is the SL5 without the nest or floor? My buddy and I are gonna be using an SL5 in NV for an archery deer hunt and we are debating using the nest or not. I guess my biggest heartburn is bugs but with the nest you also loose some space and for 2 guys it may be more cramped than we want. The SL5 is new and other than backyards sets it'll be it's maiden voyage.

Comment

This was the first trip for mine as well.

I think it depends on where you set up, the first night was set up in a cut aspen grove. Lots of ants and bugs. Only had a problem with one bug getting on me that night that I know of.....lol.
                            Up in the timber, where the picture was taken, no problems at all except for flies.
                            I don't think I would like the nest, unless mosquitos or flies were real bad.

Comment

3D, you may try what I have found works well. I try to camp lower, around 8,500ft, or atleast below 9,000.
                              I find I sleep a lot better and don't spend many consecutive days above 10,000ft.
                              I seem to rest better and recover faster when I sleep at 8,500ft.

Comment

This was the first trip for mine as well.

I think it depends on where you set up, the first night was set up in a cut aspen grove. Lots of ants and bugs. Only had a problem with one bug getting on me that night that I know of.....lol.
                                Up in the timber, where the picture was taken, no problems at all except for flies.
                                I don't think I would like the nest, unless mosquitos or flies were real bad.
                                Thanks...I know you are big guy like me and am interested to know how many guys could sleep comfortably in there without the nest assuming at least one is a guy our size and the additional guys are average. I ask these questions because I am not in possession of the tent my buddy in WV is the owner.

Also, I know Golite makes a floor only(I think you loose space though) and there are companies that will sew in custom floors(loose less space). Is that something you think would be useful help keep the crawlies out?

There is also a good chance I am way over thinking this.

Comment

Working...
                                X