No announcement yet.

F250 gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to make the swap to a ford gas . When I got my diesel I couldn’t find a gas truck . I ended up with. Ford diesel. Been running a duramax since early 2000’s .

Comment

7.3L 1 ton LWB 4x4 gasser with the 3.73 rear end.

14-15 mpg at 75-80mph

9.x mpg pulling just about anything from a two horse bumper pull to hauling our skidsteer.

No lack of power, has been great for us. Have put 24k on it since July 1. Smooth comfortable, easiest driving truck I’ve ever owned.

I did some math yesterday over a friends diesel getting 19 mpg at $4.50/gallon.. he’s paying 23.6 cents per mile In fuel. 14 mpg at $2.95 I’m only paying 20.8 cent per mile in fuel. And no def.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Anybody have a 7.3 gasser with a 3.55 rear end. Will it do a good job of pulling a 14,000 pound trailer?

I have a 2022 with the 7.3 and 3:55. It pulls my 7500lb travel trailer with us loaded down just fine. The 10 speed is shifty in the mountains and hills, but you can lock out gears you know you won’t need. I have no regrets going from my 2019 6.7 diesel to this truck, for the amount of driving and pulling I do with it. I would do the 4:30 if I had it to do all over again. It might prevent some of the shifting while pulling. The truck is a beast. I get about 13-14 on the highway and about 9 pulling with 35s.

Ford has a new 6.8 gasser on the 2023 to replace the 6.2 which they are no longer making.
        Last edited by captainsling; 11-14-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          I have a 2022 with the 7.3 and 3:55. It pulls my 7500lb travel trailer with us loaded down just fine. The 10 speed is shifty in the mountains and hills, but you can lock out gears you know you won’t need. I have no regrets going from my 2019 6.7 diesel to this truck, for the amount of driving and pulling I do with it. I would do the 4:30 if I had it to do all over again. It might prevent some of the shifting while pulling. The truck is a beast. I get about 13-14 on the highway and about 9 pulling with 35s.

Ford has a new 6.8 gasser on the 2023 to replace the 6.2 which they are no longer making.

I will also do the 4.30’s on my next one

Comment

Spend 60-100k on a truck and worried about 2 cents a mile. Doesn’t make any sense. You guys ought to do a useage comparison of your travel trailer cost per use and then just sell that thing off and stay at a hotel because it’ll be cheaper. And then you could buy a Yaris or whatever and get really great mileage. I’m saying this to be funny not be a jerk fyi. It’s just that doesn’t make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
              I have 63,000 miles on my 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. My life to date mileage is 12.3 mpg. Over that mileage I have hauled my truck camper quite a bit and pulled my ATV trailer.

When empty running on the highway I get between 14 and 15 mpg. Sometimes a little higher and if bucking the wind a little less.

I am not unhappy at all with my mileage on this truck. After all, it is a 1 ton crew cab 4x4.

I have not had any problems but did replace my battery about 4 months ago. Nice thing about the gas engine is that they just run meaning they are very reliable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Mine is a 2019 with a 6.2, almost 100K on it. I replaced an F150 that got 20 mpg on the road AND an F350 6.4 flatbed. I only put 3500 to 5000 miles a year on that F350 and couldn’t justify it sitting there all year for that.

My F250 gets about 14.5 mpg on the road and less than 10 moving my tractor. Fortunately, I only move my tractor a few times a year to my lease or my son’s place, neither which is very far. I drove V10s for years so I’m quite familiar with poor mileage but it is what it is. It’s still much cheaper to operate than a diesel. I fully expect this to be the truck I’m driving when I give up the ghost. My only gripe with it…….it’s too **** far from the ground, hard for an old fat man to get in and out of !

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                Spend 60-100k on a truck and worried about 2 cents a mile. Doesn’t make any sense. You guys ought to do a useage comparison of your travel trailer cost per use and then just sell that thing off and stay at a hotel because it’ll be cheaper. And then you could buy a Yaris or whatever and get really great mileage. I’m saying this to be funny not be a jerk fyi. It’s just that doesn’t make any sense.
                You think that doesn’t make any sense yet you think driving a diesel does when not needed does? Glad I don’t subscribe to that “sense” of thinking.

Comment

I have a 2018 6.2 and really like it. Only one issue occured and that was a spark plug and distributor issue. It was covered in warranty. I will say that it pulls my tractor better at 80 mph than it does at 70 mph. I mostly run up I45 (NW to Fairfield) and at 70 it constantly hits 4 rpms shifting gears going up hill. If you run 80, you build enough momentum that it doesnt drop shift as much saving you some mpg.

Comment

F250 gassers

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post

.03 a mile on 60-70k miles a year is a pretty big saving for me, without the extra spend of 10k for a diesel motor plus def and cost to do oil changes.. it’s adds up when the truck does the same job with no shortcomings. [emoji6]

Can’t compare it to a Honda because Hondas can’t haul my oilfield tools on a daily basis. And I do sleep in my truck more than I sleep in a hotel [emoji1787] we did however sell off the RV for exactly what you mentioned.

OP I think your on the right track with a ford gasser, we have run a lot of them at various companies I’ve been at, and this new 7.3 is a good one for someone who will do some intermittent heavy towing [emoji1689]

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Anybody have a 7.3 gasser with a 3.55 rear end. Will it do a good job of pulling a 14,000 pound trailer?
                      NO!

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        You think that doesn’t make any sense yet you think driving a diesel does when not needed does? Glad I don’t subscribe to that “sense” of thinking.
                        No, he's saying the difference in owning a gas vs diesel is negligible, but people act like it's $50 bucks a day. Then the same people buy a $60,000 travel trailer to vacation in, when it would be 10X cheaper to stay in a hotel.

I'd hate to live my life by a calculator...

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                          My dad has a 2018. Think it’s the 6.2. Believe he averages 13ish MPG. Zero issues with the truck so far though.
                          Same experience for me on the 2018 F250 gasser.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

No I’m saying for $2000 a year at 60,000 miles the difference in gas cost is negligible. Especially when you’re spending that much on a truck already. I mean I get different strokes for different folks.

That being said a way better argument would be the extra $12,000 for the diesel or whatever it is. The mileage thing just doesn’t make sense.

I could give a rats rear end how other people spend their money. Just saying that mileage argument doesn’t make sense.

Comment

i get 13.9mpg on my 2016 6.7 so it's about the same but diesel is a lot more expensive + Def

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                                My 2011 F250 (bought new in April 2011) with a 6.2 has 207k on it, and it’s never given me any problems. Mileage is around 14 highway and 12 around town which I don’t think is horrible, because my 2011 Chevy 1500 with a v6 only gets 16.

If I was buying a F250 or 350 today, I would go with the 7.3 gas motor. From the experience of some friends that RV full time, it’s got a lot more power than the 6.2 with about the same mileage.

Edit to add. I’ve owned 8 diesel trucks over the last 30 years, and I seriously doubt I will ever own another.
                                If you tow a lot you will regret it! There just isn’t any close comparison ! The diesels are built to pull.

Comment

Working...
                                X