No announcement yet.

Cement without water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's this stuff at lowes that's like foam. You mix the bags contents and pour in the hole. Weighs a pound.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgWx2y9pj8"]Fence Foam vs Dry Pack vs Wet Set | We compare methods to see which is best for fence posts - YouTube[/ame]

Wet pour is best but dry pour is sufficient for fence posts

Comment

I have set aor of post by pouring in sack-crete and covering up. That stuff seems to draw water to it.

Comment

I've had whole sacks completely harden from the moisture wicked up from a concrete floor. It will set with just the moisture from the ground and rain ... but how quick do you need it solid?

I've used Dale's method many times and never had any issues.

I have never pre-mixed sack crete for a post hole; only if it's going to be a finished slab.

Comment

Isn’t it true the wetter the concrete mix and the longer it takes to cure, the stronger and more uniform it is ?

On my fence post I actually drill two holes and put two bolts that extend out both sides toward the bottom for the concrete to grab, I also hammer a piece of rebar in the bottom of the hole. I then slide the post over the rebar. I tamp the wet concrete in while leveling the post. After it sets up a bit I tamp wet concrete down the center of the post to snug around the rebar.

In Hill Country rock I drill a hole in the bottom to hammer in that piece of rebar.
            Last edited by Johnny44; 11-01-2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
              Isn’t it true the wetter the concrete mix and the longer it takes to cure, the stronger and more uniform it is ?

On my fence post I actually drill two holes and put two bolts that extend out both sides toward the bottom for the concrete to grab, I also hammer a piece of rebar in the bottom of the hole. I then slide the post over the rebar. I tamp the wet concrete in while leveling the post. After it sets up a bit I tamp wet concrete down the center of the post to snug around the rebar.

In Hill Country rock I drill a hole in the bottom to hammer in that piece of rebar.

Dammm couldn’t imagine taking all that time to set 200-300 posts on a fence line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I get it brother, I like doing it once and able to stop a tank.

At the very least it would be done to my corners and brace post
                Last edited by Johnny44; 11-01-2022, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Quickcrete for Fencing requires very little water and they even recommend pouring the contents into the hole with the post and just letting it absorb the moisture from the surrounding soil. If you have very dry soil, they say you can add a little water after dumping the contents.

Comment

I've worried about the concrete "grabbing" the post until I recently pulled up a slick, galvanized post that was holding up a Viasat dish. Even with the slick post, the concrete pulled out in one piece, never coming loose from the post.

Comment

I can't even imagine pre-mixing concrete for a fence post...

Comment

Pretty sure the guy on the video I posted said something about too much water was detrimental to strength but I am not watching it all the way through again to try and catch exactly what he said
                        I'm like Dale, no way I would be mixing concrete for fence posts
                        I have some that have been in the ground for 20yrs that had dry sakrete tamped in around them. Not concerned in the least about them

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                          There's this stuff at lowes that's like foam. You mix the bags contents and pour in the hole. Weighs a pound.
                          That stuff is sexy but I need some arse to my fences. The storm winds will blow those over with picket panels no problem and they wont stand tension.

Comment

Isn’t it true the wetter the concrete mix NO and the longer it takes to cure, the stronger and more uniform it is NO ?

Too wet makes it weak. All depends on mixture really. Whereas sakrete, the wetter… the greater the material separation and subsequently weaker concrete. We want an even distribution of the material grades through the cement for strongest concrete.
                            Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-01-2022, 10:25 PM. Reason: Open[Spake

Comment

I’m Sure mine was too wet
                              Luckily I needed heavy, not strong !

Thanks. I learned a little about concrete.

Comment

I made an anchor for an elevated Krivoman blind about 3 years ago. I took an empty 200# Purina cattle protein tub, 4 bags of 80# Sakrete, and a 3 gallons of water, mixed it together with a shovel, and put a 1/2"x12" eyebolt with some large fender washers in it about 8" into the mix. waited a day and anchored the platform with it. Worked perfectly but it stayed when I left that lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X