Turkey gun recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to purchase a shotgun specifically for turkey hunting. Any recommendations? Thanks

I’ve got an old REM 870 with short barrel, XF choke for turkey, rifled tube for slugs and an old school range finding scope
    Killed a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used an 870 for the last 30 years with zero problems killing birds. My nephew had a new Winchester this weekend and I have to say I was very impressed with it. If I were to buy a dedicated turkey gun this will be it.

When you need to put a shot pattern the width of a softball into the head and neck of a big Tom, you need a shotgun that aims like a rifle. SCHEELS

Comment

That’s a nice shotgun, I prefer the short barrel because I run and gun

Comment

There are some really nice turkey-specific shotguns out there with pistols grips and all. I would get one if I was starting now. I still use my 870 Special Purpose - a model they made for a few years back in the 80’s. My eyes have gotten bad in the last few years which makes focusing on open sights (even fiber optic) really difficult. I have recently added a red dot sight and it has made a huge difference.

Comment

Somewhat shopping myself. Leaning towards Tristar 20ga

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Any shotgun will kill a turkey but I prefer this model

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Somewhat shopping myself. Leaning towards Tristar 20ga

Why 20 gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                  https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...24in/p/1643418

Any shotgun will kill a turkey but I prefer this model
                  Yowza!!!! That's nice....

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                    Why 20 gauge?
                    Mostly cause a good friend who chases turkeys across the nation has gone to 20 and even 28 (did a slam in 2019 using only 20 tss). He and some known call manufacturers out of LA have patterned it to over 75 yards and killed to 63

To add my wife has grown to love chasing them. And what better excuse to buy a new gun[emoji16]

Tristar because I've yet to hear a bad thing about them and don't see the need of spending more for a once a year gun

Last edited by Quackerbox; 04-04-2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

For the money it’s hard to beat this Mossberg

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Mostly cause a good friend who chases turkeys across the nation has gone to 20 and even 28 (did a slam in 2019 using only 20 tss). He and some known call manufacturers out of LA have patterned it to over 75 yards and killed to 63

To add my wife has grown to love chasing them. And what better excuse to buy a new gun[emoji16]

Tristar because I've yet to hear a bad thing about them and don't see the need of spending more for a once a year gun

My nephew introduced me to that TSS this past weekend. Honestly I'd never heard of it but I've done a lot of research on it today. Apparently that stuff is magic. #9 turkey load killing birds at 70 yards. I never would have imagined that. I may get into that next year. Have to save some money, lol. It's bout $13 a shell.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                          My nephew introduced me to that TSS this past weekend. Honestly I'd never heard of it but I've done a lot of research on it today. Apparently that stuff is magic. #9 turkey load killing birds at 70 yards. I never would have imagined that. I may get into that next year. Have to save some money, lol. It's bout $13 a shell.
                          If you can find it!!!

I've spent some time shooting federal buckshot with flight control wads. The first range day it made be a believer. I don't know how they do it but it WORKS

Comment

Tss has deffiantly extended turkey killing range. But to me hunting turkey is about being up close and personal. Tss or not, I want that bird strutting inside 30 yards.

Its kinda like switching to a crossbow so you can shoot further, bowhunting is all about up close and personal.

Comment

Benelli Nova.

Comment

Working...
                              X