Skunk got the dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skunk got the dog

Found out that my dog got sprayed by a skunk.

Anybody have any good ways to get rid of the smell? Is there a home remedy that works or should we just go get a dog shampoo made for this purpose?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went through this.

Baking soda
    Hydrogen peroxide
    Dawn dish soap

Mix them into a runny paste and scrub dog leave on for 5 mins. Wash and repeat. Then wash is a shampoo.

The dog will still have an odor for 2 weeks but it will be tolerable.

Comment

Tomato sauce works pretty good

Comment

Skunk Mix

1 Qt 3% peroxide
        1/4 Cup baking soda
        1 teaspoon dishsoap

Soak him and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then wash him with dish soap.

Comment

Originally posted by JJtomball View Post
          Just went through this.

Baking soda
          Hydrogen peroxide
          Dawn dish soap

Mix them into a runny paste and scrub dog leave on for 5 mins. Wash and repeat. Then wash is a shampoo.
          This right here. Larger the dog, the more of each ingredient you'll need.

Comment

Shave him up first and then the bath with the mentioned ingredients.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Will give that a shot

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                Shave him up first and then the bath with the mentioned ingredients.

No shaving required. My lacy has been into a skunk 5-6 times and with that bath he can sleep inside once he is dry

Comment

To add to this, the water will basically reactivate the skunk smell for a while. My lab was sprayed a few years ago and after a couple weeks we got the smell to go away but on the days we would train in the pond the water seemed to do something to where you could smell a hint of that skunk still until she dried.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    Skunk Mix

1 Qt 3% peroxide
                    1/4 Cup baking soda
                    1 teaspoon dishsoap

This. My Doberman loves skunks and this is the only way she's coming back in the house after she plays with one. Completely neutralizes the smell in most cases

Comment

A bath in white vinegar. Dilute it 50% with warm water. My two hell raisers get sprayed monthly it seems, and this is what I’ve found works best. You’d think they’d learn to leave skunks alone, but not yet

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                        A bath in white vinegar. Dilute it 50% with warm water. My two hell raisers get sprayed monthly it seems, and this is what I’ve found works best. You’d think they’d learn to leave skunks alone, but not yet

Man, I’d be taking those suckers to the pound! [emoji12]

The formulas above work well. You will still smell it on their breath and when they get wet for a week or so.

Fortunately the 2 I have now learned from their first run ins with Pepè Le Pue.

Comment

my dogs got sprayed good a few months ago. it goes away pretty fast on its own. they pent the first night out in the barn and were back in the house the second night. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are fixin to put them in the car of the wife says thay gotta sleep inside.

Comment

Natures Miracle is what we use 5 or 6 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Skunk Mix

1 Qt 3% peroxide
                              1/4 Cup baking soda
                              1 teaspoon dishsoap

I usually throw in some tomato paste. Ive even used a fresh mater in a blender.

Comment

Working...
                              X