Home demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home demolition

I bought some property in Friendswood/League City area and need the house torn down. It's a traditional 1 story on a slab and a long driveway. Anybody on here do this type of work, or have any recommendations on who to use? The city said the demo company will need to pull a permit, cap the gas lines, turn off electricity ect ect.

Before you can demo you need to "kill" the utilities, where they come out and pull the lines. That is where I would start.

Comment

If it has lead paint or asbestos I would get a track loader out there and take it down on a Saturday.

Mitigation is expensive.

Not that I would ever condone breaking the law or do that myself.

edit: I missed "the city said" part. To late to save money. Maybe the city doesn't enforce the lead and asbestos mitigation deal.

Comment

Accidental fire... Darn teenagers!

Comment

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
          I bought some property in Friendswood/League City area and need the house torn down. It's a traditional 1 story on a slab and a long driveway. Anybody on here do this type of work, or have any recommendations on who to use? The city said the demo company will need to pull a permit, cap the gas lines, turn off electricity ect ect.
          Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
          Before you can demo you need to "kill" the utilities, where they come out and pull the lines. That is where I would start.
          lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Accidental fire... Darn teenagers!
            The local Fire department may actually want to burn it for training.

Not much left to clean up when they are through.

Comment

I disconnected everything before I demoed the house, took a while to coordinate with the power company. Water was from our well and propane from a tank so both were easy. I sent you a PM.

Comment

Call the PD and FD, offer it to them for training. Clean up the ashes.

Comment

Yes, I realize that I will need to turn off all utilities.

Burning it, even for FD training isn't an option. I've already asked. This is in the city and will require a permit. I'd love to save some money, but bootlegging it on a weekend isn't an option either. I need a demo company that is familiar with this process.

Thanks to the 2 members who have PM'ed. I plan to get a handful of quotes. Keep em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
                    Yes, I realize that I will need to turn off all utilities.
                    You arent just turning them off. You need the companies to come disconnect their meters, remove their lines and completely kill their utility services to the residence. It can take a few weeks and is much easier for an owner to do versus a hired contractor. Most experience of my is in Harris County but on residential demo you dont have to test for lead or asbestos.

Comment

Working...
                    X