Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone spent much time around Tempe, AZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone spent much time around Tempe, AZ?

Just curious what the area is like. I don't know that I could leave Texas, especially with my proximity to saltwater etc, but if offered an opportunity to go there, itd include a significantly higher bump in compensation.

Any thoughts on moving there in general? I havent been offered anything yet, but I like to have an idea/standing ahead of time. I have a good job, I like the people I work with (rare in itself), we're in a good spot in life where I'm pretty well set barring extreme circumstance. I'm paid well, can pretty much do the things i want. Of course money is like points in football, the goal is more but I'm not sure more money would be enough to have me go. I've only ever looked into their elk hunting as a NR. I would miss the beach. Having it on my resume would pretty much mean I can work anywhere afterwards.

The only thing I dont care for currently is the absurd liberals in Houston. Such comes with my job though, generally being in liberal big cities.

No help here besides you’ll be next to a university that’s rated #1 or #2 year in and year out for the most attractive women

Best of luck sir!

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
      No help here besides you’ll be next to a university that’s rated #1 or #2 year in and year out for the most attractive women

Best of luck sir!
      Well don't tell my wife that... lol

Comment

Arizona has a ton of public land hunting. For about every animal literally. Theres loads of dove out there and quail especially. Arizona is hot, a dry heat. It can be 100 and feel like its just hot, not like Houston, where u feel the humidity. You would be close to driving to California to fish. Youd get into crazier salt water fish there, then fishing around the houston salt water areas. Arizona is pretty. Has mountains and desert. It might be worth a shot if its financially good for you. You ve done texas at this point, why not try it? You can always come back.

Comment

I spent a long weekend at a conference in Scottsdale a few years ago (same area). I kind of liked it in April. Think that would change in the summer months. Grocery store parking lots covered, huge aquaduct systems throughout to catch what little rain they get. I kind of like the southwest feel and your not too many hours from good hunting. The wife was not impressed at all.

Comment

Live i chandler or scottsdale..10 to 15 minute drive to Tempe. You and your wife will love downtown chandler and old town scottsdale. The outdoors and hiking is a 5 minute to an hour drive (if you want to be in the mountains. There is also areas in the city limits you can hunt mule deer with a bow. You will see a steady flow of californians, that is the one down side. If you want to go to the salt water go to san diego, its a 5.5 hour drive, yall will love it. Plenty of public land to hunt. Take your wife to sadona, payson, prescott and tubac. Stay out of tucson (aka tuscum or northern nogales). PM me for any specific info. You wont want to move back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have lived in many places, but not Arizona. But I feel all places have something to offer, I love new experiences and trying new things. I settled back close to where I grew up, but I loved living in and experiencing different places. If it is an upgrade and the company takes care of moving expenses, I would go for it in a heartbeat

Comment

I've been told that area is like Wisconsin. 3 seasons are great to be there, 1 is absolutely awful to be there.

We are considering that same area too actually. Don't let anyone fool you, heat is heat. If you want to know what dry heat feels like, turn your wifes hair dryer to high and blow it in your face. And Houston is cooler than that area, usually by about 10-15 degrees. but the humidity will help make up for it.

The natural features of AZ are awesome, and the monster elk they grow there on public land would be worth it to me. Not to mention all the desert and bighorn sheep projects, coues deer and mule deer, and bird hunting, its a sportsmans paradise. And there is tons of camping and national parks.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  I've been told that area is like Wisconsin. 3 seasons are great to be there, 1 is absolutely awful to be there.

We are considering that same area too actually. Don't let anyone fool you, heat is heat. If you want to know what dry heat feels like, turn your wifes hair dryer to high and blow it in your face. And Houston is cooler than that area, usually by about 10-15 degrees. but the humidity will help make up for it.

The natural features of AZ are awesome, and the monster elk they grow there on public land would be worth it to me. Not to mention all the desert and bighorn sheep projects, coues deer and mule deer, and bird hunting, its a sportsmans paradise. And there is tons of camping and national parks.
                  From houston, lived in phoenix for 3.5 years, i will take that august heat over houston any day of the week. I use to play TPC scottsdale at 1pm every week, 20 bucks for 18 with a cart [emoji106]. Beer water and sunscreen, i had the course to myself!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I lived in Tucson for two years. Drove to Tempe/Phoenix area on a regular basis. I really enjoyed it. Plenty of outdoor activities. I also found the cost of living to be very reasonable. Lots of snowbirds. And, no humidity was a big plus.

Not sure what beach you would miss near Houston? Unless you consider dirty bay in Galveston a nice beach.
                    Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

My daughter lived in Chandler and worked in Tempe a couple years ago. We visited a few times. It's a nice area. Downsides are traffic, summer heat, and cost. But Houston has all the same downsides plus humidity. I'd rather live in AZ than Houston, personally. If being close to the ocean is important to you, then you might prefer Houston. Lots of really cool stuff to do in AZ too though.

Comment

I lived in Mesa for 6 months and then moved to Tempe for over a year to be closer to my job. Stayed right beside Papago Amphitheater area, was real nice and did alot of trail running there. Crime is HIGH, but if you live in Houston it would equal out, Temp-wise SUMMER its HOT, HOT and DRY.. great for ppl who suffer with allergies because you'll never have issues there. but mostly you wont come out until after the sunsets anyways. WINTER is nice, warm days and cold nights. BUt if I were to move back to AZ, I would look into the mountain range area.. just past Apache Junction like Payson city, went Trout fishing up there one yr and had Elk bugling all around us.. thats if you dont mind the drive to work..

Good Luck

Comment

You'll be a moments drive from public hiking, offroading, hunting, saltwater via Mexico 4ish hrs or Cali. 6ish hours, summers are not horrible. You will love it. Live in Chandler and commute to Tempe.

Comment

And you can drive your SXS and ATV on public roadways on your way to hunting, hiking, etc. The state really supports the offroad and hunting community.

Comment

I did a few years there. Maricopa county I believe is the most populous county in the country that voted for Trump. Tempe is a bit liberal compared to Scottsdale. I think the PD in Scottsdale drops the bums off in Tempe.

I used to go to Puerto Penasco, MX for the beach. I think it was under 4 hours. San Diego is 6 hours away. You can be skiing in 2 hours and have great hiking and biking everywhere. In the summer when it is brutally hot during the day you can drive 1 hour to the mountains to beat the heat.

Cost of living is similar to Texas but outdoor activities and public land are everywhere. Even when it is 115 in July the nights and mornings are still nice. The monsoon season was my favorite time of year. The lightning storms in the desert are incredible.

Comment

Working...
                              X