Looking at buying a Class A RV-advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at buying a Class A RV-advice needed

My wife and I are back in the Class A RV market. Ideally, I would like to stay in the $25k range and under unless we find one that knocks us off our feet.. It will be a weekend get away vehicle and occasional long trip/vacation rig. I need one with the capability of towing a cargo trailer with my mustang in it for weekend trips to the track in SA. I have found several older high end Class A's pushers in our price range. There are many newer class A gassers in budget also. I have never owned a Motorhome and have no real world experience with them. There are so many different things to check on these vs a used truck. Are there inspection services I can hire to check one out? Where would I find a company that offers inspections? Any suggestions on dealers or places to try and find a RV? Is it better to try and find a clean older high end pusher vs a newer gas unit? Are there any must haves I need to look for? I do want one with slide outs. My kids are grown and moved out so it will mainly be my wife and I along with the grandkids on various trips. How many AC units are needed vs length? I have no problem traveling for the right deal. Open to Class C's with the right floor plan
    Last edited by brushtrooper; 05-24-2020, 03:22 PM.

I prefer the Class "C".... but that's just me...…
    Some class A's are really beautiful...…..
    But, I think most all, are 50 amp..
    So a lot of the mom and pop places, are not set up, for their
    length or amp service.....
    I always preferred to stay in the smaller, off the beaten path kinda places....
    That's all I got...….

Comment

I grew up rodeoing out of class C’s and have an A now and they are 2 different animals. I feel the A has more open space in the living area but it looses the bed above to driving compartment.

I have a really good RV tech that does mobile work on the side, if I were looking used I would pay him to go over one prior to purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        I grew up rodeoing out of class C’s and have an A now and they are 2 different animals. I feel the A has more open space in the living area but it looses the bed above to driving compartment.

I have a really good RV tech that does mobile work on the side, if I were looking used I would pay him to go over one prior to purchase.
        Are there any good dealers in your area? Any idea on the going rate for him to go over one if I found it in your area?

Comment

I’d go with an older diesel if it was me.

Comment

Buy an extended warranty

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
              Are there any good dealers in your area? Any idea on the going rate for him to go over one if I found it in your area?

No experience with local dealers.

I will text him for an estimate in a given area.

Also, Careybirdwell on here does RV repairs as well, not sure if he is mainly trailers or if he has coach experience as well but he would be good to contact.

Comment

I just sold a 41ft Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher 2 months ago. Never used it like we envisioned. Find one that has been under covered storage all of it's life if possible. Also find one where the owner was meticulous about keeping records of maintenance. If you can take it to a reputable RV repair shop for an inspection. Check for water leaks in every corner and out of the way places. Don't worry about high miles as that shows the owner usually kept their coaches road worthy. PM me with any questions you might have and I will be glad to give you my take.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post

I messaged, a lot depends on the RV, some could take most of a day to thoroughly go over, some a couple hours. He said budget $500-$600 within 50 miles of Spring. Other than that more details are needed.

This would be money well spent in my opinion, the guys that fix them everyday know exactly what to look for from electrical gremlins to water damage.

Comment

Working...
                  X