Traditional FSC Week 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 22

Happy Memorial Day y'all. This week's target will feature a five-armed star, representing the five branches of our military: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. As a nod to the times, corona viruses will be involved, with one at each star tip.

Target is about 6 inches tip-to-tip, with a nickel-sized virus cell roughly centered at each tip. (So, overall, shape is about 7 inches diameter. ) Also, a nickel-size circle with crosshairs is drawn in the middle of the star.

Challenge is to shoot two arrows from 12 yards (7 for kids), any stance for the lowest measured distance.

Scoring: on the star (touching any line counts as on), measure actual distance from nearest part of arrow shaft to center of crosshairs; hitting a virus cell subtracts an inch from the total measurement; off the star adds an inch to the total. Up to 3 day's tries allowed at this; tie-breaker is lowest, earliest single-day measurement .

Strategic notes: You may try for center crosshairs with one arrow, and try for a virus with a second arrow; or you may shoot both at virus cells (different ones) -- you can only hit a particular virus cell once per day. It's a risk versus reward choice, as missing the virus could mean you missed the star as well and get a 1 inch penalty added to the total. Finally, luck is allowed: we don't care which thing you're shooting at, just the results -- like life.

So, good luck and have fun!

Here's my target; feel free to copy or draw your own:

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tradtiger; 05-24-2020, 09:21 AM.

FYI: Best possible measurement/score would be Negative 2 inches -- if you hit two virus cells. Another example could be: Say you hit 3/4" from center crosshairs with one arrow and you stick a virus cell with the other arrow; that would total Negative 1/4".

Comment

Cool target TT.

Did you know that we have another military branch under the Surgeon General?
      United States Public Health Service...they are uniformed. It started back in 1798...mainly to keep sailors from transmitting diseases from port to port...then has evolved from there.
      The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists.

I never knew about the USPHS until I was looking at Lowes Home Improvement store online and under veteran discounts it listed the USPHS. What rock have these awesome people been hiding under? Kinda more important theyre around...now more than ever.

Comment

Thanks for that info, Briar. I should have prefaced the background statement as based on the five main branches of the military.

Upon further research, I see that in addition to those five, the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps has been added, as you point out correctly; plus, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officers Corps; and the most recent addition: the U.S. Space Force. Live Long and Prosper....

Comment

And the Marines are just a division of the Navy so . . . [emoji6]

Gary

Comment

Okay. So feel free to EITHER use originally posted target OR a version of this target. Same rules. Notice that Navy/Marine combo has larger potential scoring advantage with 2 viruses overlapped.

Comment

Never let it be said that we in the Traditional forum are inflexible!

Comment

Day1: Both shots aiming for center

Comment

My Day 1: first shot low, 2-1/4"+1"=3-1/4"; second shot high, 2-7/8"+1"=3-7/8".
                  Total= 7-1/8"

Comment

Day 2

Comment

Better today. Day 2: 1" + 1-5/16" = 2-5/16"

Comment

Day 1: I'll total it up later. I just wanted to get these pictures loaded today before I forgot.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          And the Marines are just a division of the Navy so . . . [emoji6]

Gary
                          Boooo! Shush vile your mouth. The tip of the spear...aint just anything but worthy of its own department.

I almost got to shoot yesterday...printed and posted on target but I got got. This morning...after chores.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Nice shots, tradtiger.^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^Hoggslayer, looks like that second one hit the virus cell^^^^^^^

A lot of luck on my side this morning.

Day2: 1/8" + 7/8" = 1"

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Boooo! Shush vile your mouth. The tip of the spear...aint just anything but worthy of its own department.

I almost got to shoot yesterday...printed and posted on target but I got got. This morning...after chores.
                              Yeah second son would probably have words for that comment. But he's at camp Lejeune and I doubt he will see this so . . .

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X