Marlin XS-7 Bolt action Vs. Hornady American Whitetail ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marlin XS-7 Bolt action Vs. Hornady American Whitetail ammo

There was a multi-page thread a while back about people having fail to fire issues with the Hornady American Whitetail Ammo, this might be another case or just a weak firing spring...

This week at the range we had several failures to fire out of a Marlin XS-7 bolt action in 7mm-08 using the American Whitetail ammo.

I recently replaced the stock on this rifle with a Boyds Laminate but doubt that is the issue as this happened before the stock swap as well.

I figured I was in for a firing spring swap but some quick googling mentions a possible head space issue with some of these rifles.

I also use the American Whitetail in .308 & 6.5cm and they all go bang- different rifles obviously.

This iMarlin is my son's rifle, I was wanting to upgrade it last year but he protested since he's killed so many animals with it through the years so I opted to slap a new stock on it instead.

My first though is to buy other branded ammo and hopefully I can find something this 7-08 likes that goes bang every time.

I've got an email in to Marlin to see what they say.

Looking at these primers- do you see lack of a decent strike on the non fired rounds? (bottom 3 on left and upper= right lower row and left upper row)

All of these rounds are from the same gun- the non bangers on the upper box were hit multiple times.

Last edited by DaveC; 04-22-2020, 05:53 AM.

Could be a headspace issue with the rifle or the brass is undersized. Or the primer pocket is too deep. Or the firing pin is short or dirty bolt/spring

Comment

Rifle was 100% till you tried ammo that others have had issue with, I would suspect ammo. I have not had any issues with Hornady ammo myself, but have had problems like this with Remington ammo and components, to the point I will not use Remington ammo or components anymore.

Buy some federal blue box and see how it works

Comment

That’s crappy ammo. I had 5 failures out of a box in 243. Never had a problem with that gun until I shot that ammo, and I’ve never had a problem after I stopped shooting it.

Comment

I know of 2 XS7's that have had that issue. One had been rebarreled to .35 Remington, the headspace was correct. Since handloads were being used in that rifle, and the .35 is a relatively low pressure round, I suggested using pistol primers. It worked, and there were no more issues. I have read that often the problem with the XS 7 is from a light firing pin spring. I have also read that the fix for it is to fit a Remington 700 spring to it. However, if that is the ONLY ammunition that has given a problem, I think I'd look at other ammunition. There are lots of options available in that caliber.

Comment

Great info fellas.

Would the Federal Fusion be just as good a barometer as the Blue box stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Great info fellas.

Would the Federal Fusion be just as good a barometer as the Blue box stuff?
              Yep

Comment

Working...
              X