No announcement yet.

How to pick a scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In choosing a scope I look for a L on the box.

I have 2 sets of bino's. Leupold Mojave and Swarovski something or other. The Leupold were 400.00 and the Swarovski, 1400.00. I can't tell the difference.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Budget. Whatever you’re comfortable with.

Reliability. It can have the best glass in the world but worthless if it won’t hold zero.

Turret and reticle combo. I’m a mil fan. Switched over 100% from moa. These 2 are important to me.

Tube size. I hate the view of most 1” scopes. Narrow eye box. Some 30mm optics I’m ok with. But I prefer 34mm on nearly everything. Bigger FOV. More comfy to get behind quickly and better relief.

The better the budget the better the glass. I’m not arguing if a $3k scope isn’t worth it with someone that uses a scope at 60 yards. You don’t need a scope to shoot that far. People do it all the time with a bow. But to the OP, yes it’s worth it. You’ll see better. Clearer. And way past legal shooting light (hogs, varmints etc).

I don’t care so much about the brand. I’ve used most of them. I do notice that very very few are recommending vortex now LOL.

One more thing. Don’t ignore the used market. Very few of my scopes are purchased new. You can save a fortune on optics buying used but it limits you to what’s available. I looked for a long time for a Kahles with the SKMR reticle. All I ever saw were skmr3 reticles. I gave up. Finally stumbled on one a few months ago at a steal.

I will say this. If you can bump that budget up a few hundred, the VX6 leupold line is very very hard beat. Used. The 2-12 and 3-18 are great optics. I do plan to use the new optika 6 at some point on a gas gun. I’ve heard good things. Just don’t know anyone that has one that can compare it to what I’m used to. Hard to say an optic in that range is good when you’re used to much nicer ones. Doesn’t mean it’s junk.

I used to think swaro ELs weren’t worth $2500+. Because I couldn’t spend it and my $300 binos worked. Until I used some. Game changers. You can spot game with them in places you wouldn’t think you could.

Not everyone needs or can afford a $3000 scope. That certainly doesn’t mean a $500 scope is trash. It just simply means you can’t compare the two. Go down the list and check what options suit you and your needs. Give yourself the best budget you can afford. And start shopping. I don’t mind helping you find something if needed. Just shoot me a PM.

Comment

Too me the high dollar glass is more important in binos than a scope. Binos I can tell the difference during long glassing sessions. Scope I am looking for the brand that gathers the most light and holds the same zero though out the different magnifications (I understand this might be called tracking but I am no expert). I have lately been considering a switching to a fixed 6X scope on one of my rifles.

Comment

When helping people pick a scope i always reccomend getting the best one your budget will allow.

Then i ask the application.

Are you dialing or holding longer range shots?
            Are you shooting under a feeder at 200 yds and under?
            Are you shooting with a spotlight (varmint hunting)

If you are shooting at deer under a feeder in the daylight under 200 yds, a 3-9x40 will work great. Especially if you get one with decent glass. You can get away with scopes of good name brand in the $200-$300 range.

Are you planning on dialing longer distances. If so you budget needs to go up significantly. Even here you don't have to have a $3k scope. I've shot lots in the $1000 range that will work and work well.

Maybe they don't have all the features and bells and whistles. Or maybe the glass isn't quite as clear or the turrets are a little mushy. But for the casual shooter they can and will work.

Comment

I'm partial to Leupold optics and they have quality in any price range, US optics, Nightforse and Trijicon are USA plus some Zeiss and Redfield. There may be others I'm not familiar with. I just put a new Mark 5 HD on my LaRue and dying to try it out.

Comment

Working...
              X