AR platform...which caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR platform...which caliber?

Considering building an AR soon...not completely opposed to .223, but looking for something that might offer just a bit more range and punch, but not get crazy.

Primary uses would be for fun/target shooting, hog hunting and varmint hunting...

Affordable rounds is desirable also.

Thoughts?

I’m trying to like my Grendel but I’m having some issues with what seems to be my Ballistic afvantage barrel. Waiting to hear back from them on their response.

I’m thinking of building a 224 Valkyrie next.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
      I’m trying to like my Grendel but I’m having some issues with what seems to be my Ballistic afvantage barrel. Waiting to hear back from them on their response.

I’m thinking of building a 224 Valkyrie next.

I’ve been real interested in the Valkyrie, I guess just looking for first hand info.

I will say that I do prefer a flat round (subjective, yes, but meaning flat compared to range of effectiveness)...not sure how that comes in to play here, but figured I would mention it.

Comment

Yep, the 224 Valkyrie, is one that I want to try out. There three calibers intended for ARs that I want to put a rifle together in those calibers. One, is the 224 Valkyrie, then the 6.5 Grendel, then the last other is the 45 Raptor.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
          Considering building an AR soon...not completely opposed to .223, but looking for something that might offer just a bit more range and punch, but not get crazy.

Primary uses would be for fun/target shooting, hog hunting and varmint hunting...

Affordable rounds is desirable also.

Thoughts?

I went crazy and bought a Falkor Petra in 300 win mag. It’s by far my most favorite gun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll vote Grendel. Love mine out to 600yards. That is as far as our range goes but it is awesome all the way out there. Ammo is easy to find and I reload which makes it fairly cheap to shoot.

Comment

If I wanted 1 AR to do everything... it would have to be Grendel. Out to 500 easy for targets, enough energy to take down any pig in TX, trust it enough to shoot a deer if needed, not as heavy as an AR10 in 308 but more energy than any other AR15 caliber.

If you watch sales you can pick up the Hornady American Gunner 200 Round ammo cans for under $1/shell.

One negative is that the mags can be picky based on shells, but look for E-Lander mags (LaRue ran them on sale a while back). I personally like the 17round mags as they keep the build light weight.

I have since added a 6.5 Grendel to my arsenal and it is the only AR I use now and have thought about selling my others...

Comment

Im currently trying to decide between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.

What will your longest shot be?

Comment

I have both the valkyrie and 6.8 spc.
                  6.8 for pig hunting and the valkyrie for a truck/mule rifle.

Both are accurate and hit way harder than 223.

The valkyrie with 88 gr eldm hornady match ammo is 3/4 moa out to 550 so far. Shot a javelina at 320 last yr and dropped him where he stood.

Have killed lots and lots of pigs with the spc. If you are wanting to stretch it out longer on coyotes and stuff the valkyrie is fun. If you want a dedicated hunting rifle for inside 300 the spc is probably way to go.

Another thing the valkyrie probably needs a 20" barrel to really get everything out of it where the spc will do fine in a 16 as it was designed for carbines

Comment

If you choose a 224 Valkyrie, I just saw Midway USA, has some Faxxon 224 Valkyrie barrels, that from the description, should be some very nice barrels. If I can get my hands on some more billet upper and lowers, I will probably buy one of those barrels.

Comment

I have a 6.8 spc.

Good hunting option with handloaded ammo and a good Barnes bullet at 110gr

Only advice I can offer on .224 Valkyrie is that it prefers longer barrels to achieve peak performance

If you want a 16 inch barrel go 6.8

If you can live with a longer barrel go Valkyrie

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 Grendel would be my vote. I shot 2 javelina this past weekend at 300 yards with Factory Hornady SST ammo. Both dropped in there tracks.
                        I have several other rifles (bolt guns) but always pick up the Grendel.

Comment

.204 would be a good one. Maybe 7.62x39 for the added punch. One of my buddies has a .224 Valkyrie and he likes it. 6.5 Grendel would be another good option.

Comment

Grendel. I own a Grendel and have shot animals from 25 yards to 327. Shot steel out to 500. It does everything you are asking OP.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Good stuff, thanks guys. I dig in a little deeper on ballistics of the grendel and the Valkyrie.

Barrel length doesn’t bother me too much, I kind of prefer a decent length barrel vs 16”.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X