Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
    Get rid of the phone
    This. Unless he has some kind of debilitating medical issues, no nine year old " needs " a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by hornet527 View Post
      Nice try, putting it back on me. Grow a set and be a parent, not his buddy

Now you can't say he's not being a parent. That's just asinine on your part. You're not there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I feel for ya. Mine is grown but we had our times.
        From now on , one pair of shoes( old ones at that )
        Two pair of underwear and socks
        One pair of jeans and one shirt.
        Let him be embarrassed at school.
        And NO phone or electronics.
        Take his bedroom door off its hinges.
        Chores lots of chores.

Comment

Originally posted by hornet527 View Post
          Nice try, putting it back on me. Grow a set and be a parent, not his buddy
          You failed to answer the question. Do you have kids?

You may or may not have noticed but, with the exception of you, everyone who has responded seemed to have some level of difficulty reigning their kids in at some point during adolescence. So either we are all terrible parents, or you are parent of the millennium. I'd venture neither is the case and seriously question if you are actually a parent at all. I've yet to meet a parent that hasn't encountered discipline issues.

Furthermore I resent the accusation that we don't parent. I've described all the measures we have taken including corporal punishment, which was the 1st measure and wasn't effective.

Comment

Picking weeds. Here's a walmart bag, fill it by picking weeds. When they come back in, "you did such a good job, here's a kitchen trash bag. Now go fill it with weeds." If it was really bad I have contractor bags...

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              I love my son with everything thing in me, but in the words of Hank Hill "that boy ain't right!". I will also admit his flaws are straight from me. That kid has no motor, he " forgets" to turn in homework, lies about it, and has no drive to achieve goals. He is bright, but lazy and tries to skate by on as little effort as possible. Basically if it doesent involve going outside and playing with his friends his "want to" is broken.

We are in the middle of a week long grounding for lying. Last night instead of going to bed he snuck his phone off the charger and watched a movie, then tried to lie about it. I whip his butt with a paddle and it does not seem to change. Ground him same results. His mom and I are at our wits ends.

What are some creative punishments you have used to get the message across?
              How many corners do you have inside your house. Assign a different corner for ea day of the week until he sees things your way. Oh and that cell phone...lots of folks on ebay will be glad to take it off your hands.

I have a small lawn service, all 3 of my boys took their
              turn working in it. At the end of everyday, 100 degrees, soaked in sweat, hands hurting, filthy, tired of hearing my lip. I told them this is what was in store for them if they didn't get a good education. I started them at 10 years old by the way.

My oldest is an I&E Tech, my middle boy teaches music to elementary students, my baby boy is in the Marines after 3 years in college. I guess it worked.
              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 04-04-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

They still make flip phones and they are cheaper too. No internet and other garbage, just phone calls.

Comment

I raised 3 boys and they came out pretty durn good if I say so myself. I always made my boys write sentences. It drives the message home over and over and they HATED it. I never used work as a punishment though. I wanted them to equate work with reward. I only used spanking as an absolute last resort for very serious issues.

Comment

I'm not sure you can punish a child enough that they'll turn into a good student all of a sudden. I'd consider an alternative approach. Maybe positive reinforcement. He won't be a good student unless he wants to become one himself.

Comment

All a matter of voltage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Pain and hunger will get the attention of anyone. I suggest finding his tolerance level of pain first.

Comment

When I was about 12 or so I was constantly smarting off and back talking. Dad got fed up with it and took everything out of my room except a bed and a few changes of clothes. He also gave me 10 dollars worth of monopoly money. And I had to pay to wash my clothes and i had to buy back all the things he took from my room. I made money by doing EXTRA chores around the house. This thought me several things. It taught me that not everything is handed to me and it thought me work ethics. And I am grateful he did this BC now I'm 17 and I work full time. And I do school before work. In homeschooled. And I get to work at 730 with a 30 minute drive. I also have a 2015 f250 that I'm paying off myself. Hope this helps!

Comment

He's choosing to trade taking care of his responsibilities for the fun stuff that he'd rather do. Just make sure that he doesn't have access to the fun stuff until his responsibilities are taken care of. If he chooses not to take care of his responsibilities, then make sure he gets to do something else of YOUR choosing, not his. Make sure that he understands that when he chooses not to take care of his responsibilities, he WILL be choosing to do whatever YOU have in mind for him to do (pull weeds, wash your car, write a book report, mop the floor, etc....). Just don't give him access to the internet or his friends or his toys/games and all of that until he has his responsibilities taken care of. If he lies, even if he did all his homework and everything, then he loses access to all the fun stuff too. Laziness wasn't always a butt whooping crime for my kids, but willful defiance, being disrespectful, and/or lying definitely meant a butt whooping at those young ages - in addition to all the other consequences.

He wants to make his own choices. That's great. But it's your job to take control of what his options are before he starts making choices.

It ain't easy, especially with a smart and strong-willed kid. But it sounds like you're a great parent. Just keep looking for the right way to get the point across. They're all different. Stay vigilant and pray a lot.
                            Last edited by Shane; 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

9 isnt too early.. its too late good luck. You sound like a good parent to me

Comment

Manual labor around the house is a good one. Make him do it on a weekend without phone, friends, TV, anything. All I remember is my dad putting my arse to work digging post holes and he repeatedly drilling in my head that if I didn't do good in school, that's what I would be doing for a living one day.

Or as stated by Shane above, make him do his homework, chores or other responsibilities before giving him access to what he considers "fun stuff".

I can't imagine how it is to be a parent nowadays. I mean, when I was a kid and my old man said no TV, my response was, fine, TV sucks today anyway. That never went over well either though.

Comment

Working...
                                X