Chicken ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken ID help

My wife and I decided we wanted to start keeping chickens for egg production. We made the now learned mistake of going to Tractor Supply to get 4 chicks. We wanted Orpington’s and when we stopped in to the store they had a bin that said Orpington. So we got 4 pullets and got started.

Well, they have grown into 3 hens and a rooster. We are certain they aren’t Orpington’s but aren’t sure what they are. We suspect they may be white Plymouth rocks or Rhode Island whites. They are 3 months old.

The rooster picture is from today and the hen picture are about a month and old, but they look the same.

Any chicken experts that can tell us what we have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well been a country boy for 65yrs. and I'm going to say they are White leghorn.

God Bless
    Bish

Comment

The hens look like buff Orington to me. They will get darker as the molt. The rooster, I don't know but probably a buff since he came from the same hatch.
      Last edited by Walker; 08-07-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Rooster n dumplings for dinner!

Comment

Looks like an Amber star to me .

Comment

I may be looking too far into it, but I didn’t think the yellow legs were an Orpington characteristic?

We thought leghorn too but they are getting pretty big. We also got 3 Farverolles and the white hens are much bigger than they are and they’re the same age.

Comment

Look like white orpingtons to me with maybe some buff orpington in the bloodline somewhere. Should be good egg layers for ya

Comment

White

Comment

They look like Orpingtons to me. We have 2 lavender and one Buff Orpington.

Comment

That’s good if they turn out to be Orpington’s after all. We are 1 step away from getting rid of the rooster. He’s overly aggressive and I’m about tired of it. We got him a bachelor pad to keep him from the hens and we rotate when they free range. If it were t for my wife he’d be gone already.

He gets after the dogs and the cat. Has charged and bit my 16yo and bit my wife the other day when she was feeding him from her hand. He stopped eating the scratch, stood there looking at her wrist and then bit her.

Comment

Where are you located? We got our pullets from SeaBreeze Hens in San Leon. Have had great luck with both batches that came from there, if you’re looking to add more.

Comment

They would all look the same grilled and on my plate.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                          Where are you located? We got our pullets from SeaBreeze Hens in San Leon. Have had great luck with both batches that came from there, if you’re looking to add more.

We are in Milam County. We found Bird and Bee farm not farm from us. That’s where we got the Faverolles. I don’t think they sell pullets though.

My buddy found a guy in Waco that breed Jubilee Orpington’s that we may go see next time. They bought 6 from him a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                            Well been a country boy for 65yrs. and I'm going to say they are White leghorn.

God Bless
                            Bish
                            You are correct.

Comment

I have buff and lavender orphington chickens that I raised from chicks, I don’t think yours are Orphinton’s.

Comment

Working...
                              X