Used 1/2 ton 4X4 Trucks Dodge, Chevy or Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used 1/2 ton 4X4 Trucks Dodge, Chevy or Ford

Gentlemen, looking for a late model half ton 4X4.... 2015-2019 model years. Looks like budget will hold me to one with 80-130k miles.

Anyone care to share good or bad on any of the big three? If you had to choose, what would you go with and why?

Mileage expectancy of each?

Chevrolet has the dreaded lifter failure especially in the higher mileage. We have ran into a couple in our work trucks. But then have a buddy with 210K on his and just traded in running like a top.

Ford depending on eco boost vs. 5.0. I have heard alot of good things on both, I just picked up a 5.0. Just alot less can go wrong lol.

I would personally go ecoboost or 5.0 which I just did.

Comment

In that mileage range I'd own a: GM, Tundra, or 5.0 Ford.

Ecoboost seems to need strict maintenance for longevity. I'd own a new one or close to it but probably not one with miles.

My dodge 1/2 ton experience is pretty limited but I've got a guy that has worked with me for the last 9 years that spends most of his life on the road. He always buys dodge and they are always in the shop once they get up there in miles. Head gaskets, lifters, trans (x3), couple rear ends, plus a whole mess of little things. I can't talk him out of one.

Comment

I still have 3 f150s in that range, they are pretty good trucks. I would also recommend the 5.0, but that's all we have ever ran.

Comment

2015 Silverado 5.3 , 16mpg @ 70, 14-15 @ 80
          I just received a notification that OnStar will no longer work because truck isn’t 5G
          Otherwise it’s just book maintenance

My Ford had a 0-100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with zero problems,
          102,000 , lots of stuff was breaking, Ac, trans, electronic stuff
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-27-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
            Chevrolet has the dreaded lifter failure especially in the higher mileage. We have ran into a couple in our work trucks. But then have a buddy with 210K on his and just traded in running like a top.

Ford depending on eco boost vs. 5.0. I have heard alot of good things on both, I just picked up a 5.0. Just alot less can go wrong lol.

This lifter issue will keep me from buying another Chevrolet 5.3, my wife's 2013 tahoe with 88k had to have the engine rebuilt because of this and of course it was past warranty on years. We have had it in several company trucks as well two of them with as little as 5 to 10k miles on them.

Comment

My son has a 07 Tundra, I'm extremely impressed with the build quality, durability, etc... It has just over 200k and you'd think it had 50k on it. Tundra would be at the top of the list if I were looking for a 1/2. Then GM/Chevy, then Ford. I'd leave Dodge out of it, that's coming from someone who owns a 3/4 Cummins, love the engine, not impressed with the Dodge wrapped around it.

Comment

You didn't mention Tundra but I would also recommend it. My son has one with over 250,000 miles that we bought around the 150,000 mark. He drives it like he stole it. Only maintenance items during that time (brakes, plugs, oil and fluids) with the exception of one driver's door lock mechanism. Uses no oil, drives like new. Only downside is it averages 14mpg but the 5.7 is a great engine. They hold their value but they are worth it.

Comment

I have been researching similar trucks.

Tundra, Ford 5.0

Dodge

Chevy/GMC - lifter issues plus trannies going out in the 125K-150K mileage.

Comment

I have a 2018 F150 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.0l. I have about 80k miles on it. It's been a good truck. The transmission acts a little funky sometimes. It's a little jerky in parking lot situations at times. I have had issues with the main "screen", whatever you want to call it. The touch screen that controls AC, handsfree, stereo, etc. The control module went out on me and it freezes up all the time, drops calls on the handsfree over and over, etc. It's gonna cost me $1200 or so to replace that. Other than that the truck runs and drives great and I have really enjoyed it. I get about 16-17 mpg combined town and hwy.

Comment

14 F150, 5.0 used as a ranch truck. It pulls GN, hauls cattle, hay etc. Its used like a work truck. My average over a months time is 13 mpg-thats highway,city, and idling on ranch feeding cows and using AC to cool down when doing work etc. Turned 96k and its been a solid truck

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post

This. Forty years of driving the hell out of Fords in the oil field. 200k is easy, 300k if you want to.

Comment

I wouldn't touch an ecoboost in that mileage range for any price.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            Same.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              Agreed 100%. My wife has a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost. Just rolled 100k a few months back. The thing started leaking coolant all over the place. Ford apparently used some “quick connect” hose connections on those engines and a quick Google search will show you just how awful they are. The turbos had to be completely broken down in order to replace an o ring. $5k later it seems ok. That is until those turbos need replaced. I would look for a 5.0 with that kind of mileage.

Comment

Working...
                              X