X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had a land survey done lately?

Are these hourly rates in line?
    Attached Files

Never seen it done on an hourly rate. I have always paid by the job. Just had 2 surveys done this year on my place. 2 acres surveyed out of 40 was $1950. Had a 5ac section done a a month later at it was $2350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      Never seen it done on an hourly rate. I have always paid by the job. Just had 2 surveys done this year on my place. 2 acres surveyed out of 40 was $1950. Had a 5ac section done a a month later at it was $2350.

^^^ It's usually priced by the job. I've had a bunch of surveys done and never seen it by the hour like that.

Comment

I dont have the hourly rates but we just had a 17 acre survey conducted and it cost $4,500 in the Seguin area.
        Last edited by saintsfan; 07-21-2022, 10:47 AM. Reason: sd

Comment

I dont know what the market is like there, but our rates are significantly above those.

Is there a guaranteed not to exceed final total or only hourly? Sometimes the hourly charges come out better for the client, because we have to account for "unknowns" when giving a flat fee.
          Last edited by Txsurveyor2014; 07-21-2022, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Never heard of hourly but had 5 acres done 3 weeks ago for $2,000.

Comment

I had to have my 10 acres surveyed when we had the house built and all 4 corner pins were still there from when we bought it a year earlier a d it still cost me 1800

Comment

Love to see your survey. That’s a lot of hours.
                My guys used old surveys and field work was done in less than a day recently. Forgot the breakdown costs.

Comment

I just had 8 acres done at around 4000$ total
                  8 separate surveys for each acre site

Comment

OP, yes, I'd those are very fair rates if the timeline is reasonable.

It's popular to hate on the cost of surveys, but no one blinks at paying outrageous amounts on land at the moment, or paying a realtor their cut, or paying $15k a mile for high fence (its a lot more money to move said fence).

Median age for registered land surveyors passed 60 years old this year, its a high demand job presently. Just like anything else, as pointed out in the fence building thread, its not easy to find good help without paying them what they are worth. Plus $4/gallon gas, survey grade GPS units aren't cheap, insurance, overhead, etc. it adds up constantly.

Comment

Typically we bid them on a job/sum basis rather than hourly like others have said. I have been asked for a rate schedule in the past and I'm happy to provide them to my clients when requested to how we came to our bid amount, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cardinal

Median age for registered land surveyors passed 60 years old this year, its a high demand job presently. Just like anything else, as pointed out in the fence building thread, its not easy to find good help without paying them what they are worth. Plus $4/gallon gas, survey grade GPS units aren't cheap, insurance, overhead, etc. it adds up constantly.[/QUOTE]

^^^That.

Add in abstracting, analyzation, possible multiple trips to the site and drafting once all of that is done just to add a few things.

Most people would be surprised to see what it takes to accurately perform a survey, even on a residential lot that resides within a recorded plat. Start talking about acreage, costs are going to increase.

Finding alleged original pins and measuring off fences doesn’t mean a thing to someone that’s taking 6 figure, or more, liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                          Add in abstracting, analyzation, possible multiple trips to the site and drafting once all of that is done just to add a few things.

Most people would be surprised to see what it takes to accurately perform a survey, even on a residential lot that resides within a recorded plat. Start talking about acreage, costs are going to increase.

Finding alleged original pins and measuring off fences doesn’t mean a thing to someone that’s taking 6 figure, or more, liability.
                          Yes, thank you. There is so much that goes on besides finding the iron pins in the ground. Its a profession in the state of Texas for a reason, and with rising costs of real estate its going to become more and more a necessity for good surveys to be made.

Comment

My wife and her brother have to have their parents place done since they have passed and each get a half of the 15 acre estate. They have been quoted around $4500.
                            I thought that was a bit too much just for 15 acres. But what do I know!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                              Are these hourly rates in line?

Yes the rates are good, and honestly low. The hours are hard to say without knowing what they are working on.

Comment

Working...
                              X