Who hunts out-of-state ALONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who hunts out-of-state ALONE?

I really want to do a deer hunt up in the Oklahoma, the Dakotas, or Nebraska this year but I am a little nervous about it. Of my entire friend group I’m the only one who has any interest in trekking into the unknown with a bow. It’s looking more and more like I might be going by myself.

Who has done it with or without a hunting partner?

I’d like to kinda get opinions or find somebody with a similar situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done it twice. One in Colorado and one in New Mexico. It didnt see it as any big deal. I figure i hunt alone a lot and nothing happens and i hunt a lot in Colorado and NM with friends and nothing happens so odd are in your favor nothing is going to happen. If my truck had not broken a few weeks before i was going to go to Nebraska i would have gone there last year alone
    I say go for it.

Comment

I've done it a few times and wasn't ever really worried about much. Does make for alot more work though!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        I have done it twice. One in Colorado and one in New Mexico. It didnt see it as any big deal. I figure i hunt alone a lot and nothing happens and i hunt a lot in Colorado and NM with friends and nothing happens so odd are in your favor nothing is going to happen. If my truck had not broken a few weeks before i was going to go to Nebraska i would have gone there last year alone
        I say go for it.

Did you ever get an animal down in Colorado?
        Truck camp or backpack into remote area?

Comment

I hunted out of state alone most of the time. Just cover your bases, dont do stupid and use good equipment.

Comment

I enjoy the solo trips out of state. I’ve done New Mexico, Colorado, and Oklahoma solo numerous times. It’s a hoot to share a good hunt with good buddies, but I also love going on a couple trips on my own every year. I’d highly encourage you to get after it.

Disclaimer: be prepared for all your buddies who are not wanting to join you now, to be begging you to take them the second you find success on one of these trips. They’ll be coming out of the wood work.

Comment

I do it and love it. It is more work and can take lots of planning but I love the adventure of it all and hunting new country in different states. More public land and less expensive deer lease in most other states from what i can tell. I havent hunted Nebraska yet or the Dakotas yet but SD is on my list for next year. Over the counter archery tags for non residents. Try it! You will probably get hooked. If not you can chalk it up to experience.
              Last edited by Bowdog; 07-03-2022, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I try and do one solo backpack hunt a year in the mountains. It's been Utah the past 3 years. Montana and CO before that. I love it. My wife does not.
                One of the biggest lessons I've learned is often small, insignificant (at the time) choices can have huge consequences later. I try and be very methodical in planning and I've learned to not just measure success in animals taken.
                Def give it a go! I recommend starting somewhere you can camp at your truck. Logistically it's much easier and in an emergency, it's nice to have your vehicle close.

Comment

I believe that SOLO is just the nature of a bow hunter.

Comment

Will do Missouri and Arkansas this fall…maybe Oklahoma too depending on travel.

I love it because I can just roll at my own speed. I may sleep in the truck or sit all day for many days in a row with not having to account for anyone else.

I tend to rough it alot more when alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                      I try and do one solo backpack hunt a year in the mountains. It's been Utah the past 3 years. Montana and CO before that. I love it. My wife does not.
                      One of the biggest lessons I've learned is often small, insignificant (at the time) choices can have huge consequences later. I try and be very methodical in planning and I've learned to not just measure success in animals taken.
                      Def give it a go! I recommend starting somewhere you can camp at your truck. Logistically it's much easier and in an emergency, it's nice to have your vehicle close.
                      X2. Learned the hard way to think things through and try not to take unnecessary risks when your by yourself. I still do despite telling myself not to on the way there lol but it can come back to bite you.

Comment

Your life is most likely in greater danger driving there, than it is hunting.
                        Been doing it my entire adult life.
                        Go for it!

Comment

I hunt in Iowa - pheasant, squirrel and deer.

Comment

I should have mentioned the end goal is an elk hunt. I’m starting with whitetail or maybe muledeer and once I have been successful packing out a couple of animals I’ll prob step up to a cow elk tag while I continue to build preference points for a bull tag.

Comment

I hunt in Oklahoma and am up there by myself 95% of the time. My youngest son’s work schedule allows us to be up there at the same time on rare occasions.

Comment

Working...
                              X