Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    Or a big safe bolted to the floor/wall. I hate it when I hear that criminals get free guns to be used in future crimes. SMH

You can weld it to the floor if you’d like…4” grinder with a cutoff disc will make quick work of the side panels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since they got away with it this time, they may be back for a second helping at a latter date.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
        You can weld it to the floor if you’d like…4” grinder with a cutoff disc will make quick work of the side panels

Are you talking about those cheap Wal-Mart safes or a good safe?

Comment

Thieves

Yep these “safes” that most folks buy are far from it. 12-14 gauge sheet metal at best.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yep! Being a metal fabricator and welder, I started looking at building gun safes back in the 1990s. Most are built out of 10-12ga steel on the sides and back. The rest of the inner sides are for reducing fire damage/insolation from heat. Reduced fire damage is the primary purpose in most of todays safes. Simple theft deterrent is secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              Are you talking about those cheap Wal-Mart safes or a good safe?

Cannon, Liberty, Browning, ect. Most of the ones less than $2k.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Cannon, Liberty, Browning, ect. Most of the ones less than $2k.
                Really? I didn't have any idea that my safes were so easily defeated. I have two cannons. One is about 1000 lbs and the other is 600 lbs. A 4" disc can open them up like a can opener?
                I guess I'm only good for the casual break in.

Comment

A lot of the weight in a safe is in the fire retardant insolation. Most mfgs use a mineral called gypsum. Gypsum is a very dense, heavy material. And sometimes used in dry wall products. And we know how heavy drywall is, right?

I also managed and built products for industrial factories at one job, that filtered the air in the factory (among many other types of industrial equipment I've built). They are known as bag houses. Most of the gypsum plants are required to have them by the EPA. The EPA engineers would design them. And the owner of the business I worked for got the contracts. Then gave the stacks upon stacks of blueprints to me, to break down, develop BOMs for ordering materials/steel, and distribute jobs within the shop. I, too, did a lot of the fab and welding work. The largest one I ever built was 52' long, 12 feet wide, and 3 stories tall. Held 250 bags that were 7 foot long. Pneumatic shots of air piped into the bag house over the 7 foot bags, would empty the bags into a hopper on the bottom, where a screw drive conveyor would carry it out. It was built in three sections so it could be transported and assembled on site. That was back in the mid 1990s.

I've worked in a lot, and I mean a lot, of heavy steel industries when I was younger. I generally don't think of steel as heavy till it starts getting into the 1" plate or more, with 1" being on the light side. And I've welded various steels in many different Rockwell hardness cats. Some bevels/metals being over 18" deep. Been in the Military aircraft industries for the last 25+ years, welding all kinds of exotic metals for various mfgs of aerospace/aircraft producers. Some of my past experience has been welding stainless as thin as .016" thick. Aluminum was the first metal I learned to weld when I was 18yoa back in 1976.
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-03-2022, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Hard to believe it but Meth has been rampant in West Texas going 40 years now. It has probably been in a lot of other rural areas that long also I am just not as familiar with other areas. You never used to have to lock up anything now even locks will not stop them there.

Comment

I hate hearing this.
                      I hate they hit you.
                      I hate a POS theif.
                      I have a place in Coleman county.

Comment

Working...
                      X