No announcement yet.

Death Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sux when you pay $75-80k for a truck and have to deal with this. Last 2 f250s I had did it… that’s the main reason I’m in a Chevrolet now.

Comment

My stock 2012 F250 did it. The left front tire just turned into a basketball and the steering wheel was uncontrollable. As said above the only way to stop it was to slow down to 20mph.

I knew what was happening but the wife was totally freaked out about it. I used the event as an excuse to buy the 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by piley View Post
        I definitely feel the front end shudder when driving on the awesome Houston area roads.
        I heard via the web there was a recall and called, made appointment and "told" them I was experiencing the wobble- only had a mild shimmy once, but it was good enough for me to call it a wobble.

I'm at almost 35k and it still feels tight.

I'll go other routes when the problem reemerges.
        I'd like to think whatever they did was a more permanent fix.
        I know the feel of the steering is way different.
        Something I don't think just a new dampener would provide.

Comment

2016 F-350. Twice. First time at 100k miles. They replaced everything in th front steering assembly. 1800.00
          Then it happened again 20k miles later ��. No warranty on steering parts ��.
          So I took it to a highly recommended custom shop and went the Bilstein route.
          160k now and so far so good. Very frustrating.

Comment

Steering damper is not a forever fix. I had my 2018 F-250 in for DW 3-4 times before 60k miles. They finally replaced most of the front end. I'm not sure how long that lasted because I traded back down to an F-150. I didn't really need an F-250 anymore and was sick of that DW. That's some scary s#!t @ 75-80 mph.

Comment

I may have it tomorrow but I’ve drove super duty’s since 04’ and never had it and know hundreds that own them and not one single person I know of has had it. I know it’s an issue but I guess I just don’t see it. Glad you remained calm and got home safe

Only time I had death wobble was a 84’ Chevy on 35” tires… so I know what it feels like when your truck is trying to throw you out lol

Comment

Death Wobble

I drive a 2021 F250 Lariat. As soon as I ordered it I also ordered a Fox dual steering stabilizer for when it came in. Little did I know that when I received the new truck that it now comes with a dual steering stabilizer. So I sent the fox back. So maybe they are addressing the issue on the new ones? I absolutely love this new truck. I did have that happen on my old 2000 f350. Scared the dog doo out of me. I immediately replaced anything suspect as well as put a steering stabilizer on it. Problem solved. Also worn tires I replaced just to make sure.
                If I were the OP I’d have them put a Fox Dual steering stabilizer on it even if you have to pay the extra to upgrade to that brand. It’s night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Any solid front axle truck can have it, as above, Jeep, Dodge, etc. Not a fun experience but not owned by one brand. Lots of geometry in those front end designs that can go wrong.

Comment

Hard to believe these pass ford's quality program.

Glad you're ok and steered put of it op.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                      I drive a 2021 F250 Lariat. As soon as I ordered it I also ordered a Fox dual steering stabilizer for when it came in. Little did I know that when I received the new truck that it now comes with a dual steering stabilizer. So I sent the fox back. So maybe they are addressing the issue on the new ones? I absolutely love this new truck. I did have that happen on my old 2000 f350. Scared the dog doo out of me. I immediately replaced anything suspect as well as put a steering stabilizer on it. Problem solved. Also worn tires I replaced just to make sure.
                      If I were the OP I’d have them put a Fox Dual steering stabilizer on it even if you have to pay the extra to upgrade to that brand. It’s night and day difference.

I intend on running this thing stock and the Fox 2.0 dual steering stabilizer requires a 2" lift to fit properly, at least that's what Stage 3 motorsports website says. I was looking at the single steering stabilizer and upgraded track bar. I like this truck and want it to last so I want to get it back right.

Comment

Originally posted by piley View Post
                        I intend on running this thing stock and the Fox 2.0 dual steering stabilizer requires a 2" lift to fit properly, at least that's what Stage 3 motorsports website says. I was looking at the single steering stabilizer and upgraded track bar. I like this truck and want it to last so I want to get it back right.

I believe you could probably just level the front 2” for a few hundred dollars if you wanted the fox. That’s the way my 21 is done.

Comment

I had a 2007 Ram Mega Cab that did it all the time.

Comment

My Dodge started doing it about 3 months ago. Scary stuff. It got more and more frequent. I finally took it to my son who fixed it for me. Haven’t had an issue since, but it gets in your head. Every time I hit bumps I grab the wheel tighter

Comment

Definitely a solid front axle problem. Tires and suspension are the culprits.

Comment

I guess I’ve been lucky, because out of 9 Fords (3 F250’s, 4 F350’s, a F450, and a F550), none have had front end issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X