No announcement yet.

Bowhunters only question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your silhouette is much more important than any cover in front of you. Then factor in your dominate winds and a tree that isn't going to sway in the wind and make you sea sick. lol

Comment

Thanx going with the WO

Comment

Sweetgum will lose its leaves before the oak.

Comment

I put the stand in the WO, lot of background and foreground cover. Cut one small hole in the cover to the S so I would have a gap to shoot that way. Lot of sign there. Pretty excited, gonna hunt it in the AM. Any wind out of the E will do for this spot. SE in the AM.

Thanx for yalls responses. Calvin

Comment

Figure out the common wind direction in this area and the projected travel direction of the deer. You always want them coming to you with the wind to their back. As far as cover goes if your up above 15 ft or so and not doing cartwheels when they come in I wouldn't worry.

Comment

Best of luck with the oak setup. If possible place an additional set up favorable to wind that doesn't work well for the oak tree set up.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                  Your silhouette is much more important than any cover in front of you. Then factor in your dominate winds and a tree that isn't going to sway in the wind and make you sea sick. lol
                  This. I like a tree trunk wider than my shoulders that branches out just above me. Hard to do with a climber but easy with a fixed stand.

Wind is very important. I like the prevailing winds not pushing my scent onto the set up.

Comment

Set up with cover. you can minimize your scent but you cant hide in the open. Whitetail see between 250 to 270 degrees.

Comment

Wind out of the S, decided to hunt my ground blind instead. Raining a bit. Thursday, should be NE winds...might be better

Comment

Pending no major difference in wind, the spot with more cover would be my choice. I like hiding in a big old oak.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          Pending no major difference in wind, the spot with more cover would be my choice. I like hiding in a big old oak.
                          I agree. I wanted to hunt it so bad, but the winds are so irratic today. The tree is next to a bedding area. The BA is to the E so I need Easterly winds

Comment

cover every time then stop them where you want them with how you feed your set up

Comment

Working...
                            X