Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-02-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County
Default Unpaid sabbatical at 51? Any of yall done it?

I am 50 and am considering taking a year or 2 off (quitting current job so not really sabbatical) to enjoy life and take a few of my dream trips. I am single and no kids. I am good shape financially but not good enough to officially retire just yet. Have any of you guys done this?? After the sabbatical I just need to work enough to have health insurance and make a small income for a few years so finding a job after shouldn't be a problem. I see too many people working their butts off until 60+ and then passing before enjoying much retirement.

Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 06-02-2021 at 07:03 AM.
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Sounds OK..But that H insurance can be a real issue( easy enough to get Just high as Hell) tell med care kicks in..Best of luck on your Quest...We retired a 60 been great decision..been about 15y
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Lucky dog I envy you. Ill be stuck here at work till I keel over at 90
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

You think it's easy to get a good job with benefits after age 50?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Go for it!!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #6
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post

If you have skills, it shouldn't be hard at all.
Especially considering today's climate where no one wants to work, and the kids coming up can barely figure out how to put gas in a car.
Go for it man, it's great for your mental health
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #7
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:

Chicken...... heck yes, go for it

Yes, itís super easy in my trade to get a good job over 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Especially considering today's climate where no one wants to work, and the kids coming up can barely figure out how to put gas in a car.
Yes sir.
I could quit my job today and have another in 5 minutes.

Go for it TX CHICKEN!
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
kingranch
Ten Point

i did this a year ago just before covid.... 10 different vacations in one year all over the place. I hired some temp help to fill in at my current job and just took more time off than I was paid(but that didnt matter to me bc i could afford to do so like you single no kids)
Best decision of my life....
Too many ppl work the daily grind and save save save only to be too broke down and injured to do anything when they get to retire.. Who the heck wants to retire anyways, to me that means be 65 and arthritic legs and prostate problems lol...

I want to do surf trips, hunt/fish, be selfish its ok imo. Too many ppl pass judgement on me bc I travel and take off alot but hey you have one life to live. Theres alot of cheap safe cool places to visit in central america that would keep most anyone entertained
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I think every person wished they could do this. I’ll never be able to but if you can swing it go for it !!
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #11
Pokey
Six Point

Hunt In: Mexico,Caldwell Co.

Go for it while you can enjoy.

Jobs are easy to get if you can relocate and If you have any Skills they will be calling you.
Pokey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
PROD49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

I was going to do this last year and at 6mo mark I was convinced to go back to work, I'm in Technology and at my age and pace of tech advancements my challenged to get back into the market would be more difficult and my command for pay would lessen. So here I am now in Cyber Security.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #13
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Go for it.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
This
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #15
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Quote:

I didn't say anything about a good job. I really just need to make $15-20/hour and health insurance. I have no doubt I can find that at 55. I have a very solid nest egg but health insurance if I am unemployed will be in the $600-800 range so I would like to work part time to cover that and make a little money.
If I don't take this leave and work until 56 or 57 I should be able to retire completely. This last year has worn me out and not sure I can do 5 more without a refresh.

Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 06-02-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #16
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Given you are single with no kids, why not go enjoy life? If you have enough money saved to travel you are in better financial shape than most, I suspect. As long as you can carry insurance while you are not working, I think it is a no-brainer, in your shoes I would do it without a doubt.

I think this way. You have probably been working since 16 or 18, cause that is how it was with our group, I am 7-8 years behind you. So at 50 you have been working 32 years.

Now the common theme is to slack for a while, go to college and not get serious until 25-30. Most have a handful of useless paper and a mountain of debt to pay off.

We had a 10-year head-start and likely no debt, or minimal debt.

The age cutoff for retirement is a freaking joke that only rewards slackers that do not start working until late in life, or never. If you make x amount of dollars and pay in x amount you should be able to retire, it should be merit-based and not solely based on your age. If you work your *** off from 18-on you are paying more taxes than the slacker that starts at 30. However, you would be working 12 more years. *The college crowd will be along shortly to say how much more they make in fewer years. Sure, that is likely the case in some fields but not all, and certainly not mine. Those people should be on board with the meritocratic system as well.

You cannot enjoy life at **** near 70 like you could at 50, just facts. I envy someone that will buck the system and step out of the slow, steady, go to work, go home, go to work, go home, go to work, go home, slow march to death.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #17
Boomboom
Eight Point

Sounds like a great idea Mike!

Hope you and Jerry are doing well...
Boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Go for it! Here is a little story my uncle told me on our last trip to Colorado together. He was already having issues getting around. Me ,my dad & him went to Colorado the year before. Their 1st trip back in 20 years. My 1st trip ever. We made plans to return the next year. My dad passed that summer from a heart attack. Me & my uncle went back. While we were sitting around after one hunt he opened up about how much they had enjoyed getting back up there. He told me ,your dad & me just worked our butts off for 20 years & always found a reason not to make the trip. Now I look at you & see you crawling up & down the mountain like a elk. I can barely walk down the road. He told me enjoy your life. I have more money than I can spend before I die ,but can't enjoy it anymore. He said you have to have some money put back for a rainy day, but if you can do whatever you like before you get too old to fully enjoy it.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #19
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

Lol you have some years on me but i want to do the same thing.....right now!
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #20
MLank
Ten Point

You have THE golden ticket; no kids. (edit: no nagging wife; Platinum)

YES, go. You can look into a variety of travel insurances that cover you just in case something were to happen while away.

Additionally, most of the time, good, quality private healthcare while abroad is inexpensive.

I'm willing to bet, you could find a place or two you'd be willing to live for awhile at a much cheaper annual expense than here in Texas/US. All the while your current retirement accounts grow (hopefully, maybe, probably but never a guarantee). So, maybe this sabbatical could last until you are 59.5 and then you can decide to stay abroad or come home be retired.

Anyways, DO IT! Once you leave, and start, you'll laugh at the thought of not having done it.

I'm sure there are many reasons NOT to do it, however, you have ONE life; ONE; so just go.

The other question, any of y'all done it?

Yes, I have. Hence the above enthusiasm. I also suggest you start a new thread of suggestions on where to go, what to do, and perhaps guys can even tailor trips/areas/activities to your liking.

Last edited by MLank; 06-02-2021 at 09:16 AM.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #21
jmac24
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I tried to do this a few years ago when we sold our company. Sale was final in August and I hunted and fished and did whatever I wanted for about 8 months. Soon realized that I was just falling into a different routine. So I went back to work about 2 1/2 years ago and plan on doing it for another 2-3 years and then be done for good.

Health insurance was definitley a concern at 54, as well as happy hour seemed to start a little earlier each day.
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #22
HOOKNBULLET2
Six Point

Hunt In: Blanco

I retired last year at the ripe old age of 50. I’m six months into it and couldn’t be happier. Do it if you can. You only get a limited number of trips around the sun on this ride.
HOOKNBULLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
Tequilazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings & Polk Co.

Last edited by Tequilazo; 06-02-2021 at 09:33 AM. Reason: mlank said it first
Tequilazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #24
Tequilazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings & Polk Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlank View Post
you have the golden ticket; no kids. (edit: No nagging wife; platinum)

yes, go. You can look into a variety of travel insurances that cover you just in case something were to happen while away.

Additionally, most of the time, good, quality private healthcare while abroad is inexpensive.

I'm willing to bet, you could find a place or two you'd be willing to live for awhile at a much cheaper annual expense than here in texas/us. All the while your current retirement accounts grow (hopefully, maybe, probably but never a guarantee). So, maybe this sabbatical could last until you are 59.5 and then you can decide to stay abroad or come home be retired.

Anyways, do it! Once you leave, and start, you'll laugh at the thought of not having done it.

I'm sure there are many reasons not to do it, however, you have one life; one; so just go.

Yes, i have. Hence the above enthusiasm. I also suggest you start a new thread of suggestions on where to go, what to do, and perhaps guys can even tailor trips/areas/activities to your liking.

^^^^ this ^^^^
Tequilazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #25
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I took one at 34 lol, I took around 8 months off from work. I was able to see my baby boy everyday and it was worth it. Now I’m back to working been over a year already.
STX_Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #26
camoclad
Ten Point

Hunt In: central tx

Look into foreign medical vacations for health insurance needs and adventure.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #27
frios
Six Point

Do it.

life is to short.
frios is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #28
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
I am 50 and am considering taking a year or 2 off (quitting current job so not really sabbatical) to enjoy life and take a few of my dream trips. I am single and no kids. I am good shape financially but not good enough to officially retire just yet. Have any of you guys done this?? After the sabbatical I just need to work enough to have health insurance and make a small income for a few years so finding a job after shouldn't be a problem. I see too many people working their butts off until 60+ and then passing before enjoying much retirement.
Almost identical to you... 2 years older and married but kids are grown. If I work through now I could be done 56 but I'm beyond burned out. More like a husk. I need some time to really disconnect but at my age I'm really concerned about getting a decent job coming back into the workforce a year or two later. I'm actually thinking about job hunting and finding something with a start date a few months out and then pulling the plug. While it wouldn't be much of a sabbatical, a month or two off would be golden...
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #29
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLank View Post
You have THE golden ticket; no kids. (edit: no nagging wife; Platinum)

YES, go. You can look into a variety of travel insurances that cover you just in case something were to happen while away.

I'm willing to bet, you could find a place or two you'd be willing to live for awhile at a much cheaper annual expense than here in Texas/US. All the while your current retirement accounts grow (hopefully, maybe, probably but never a guarantee). So, maybe this sabbatical could last until you are 59.5 and then you can decide to stay abroad or come home be retired.

Anyways, DO IT! Once you leave, and start, you'll laugh at the thought of not having done it.

I'm sure there are many reasons NOT to do it, however, you have ONE life; ONE; so just go.

Yes, I have. Hence the above enthusiasm. I also suggest you start a new thread of suggestions on where to go, what to do, and perhaps guys can even tailor trips/areas/activities to your liking.
I have multiple times.
Never had kids, wife, or any debt.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #30
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

My best friend passed last week at 55. Don't put it off.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
bowtecmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #31
MLank
Ten Point

Quote:
I have multiple times.
Never had kids, wife, or any debt.
Heck yeah! Have any fun stories to share?
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #32
RR 314
Pope & Young

My wife did this at 38 or 39. Took a full year off and did a ton with the kids. She was CMO of a company that was acquired and had a double trigger on her options and cleaned up. She updated her linkedIn from CMO to CSO--chief sabbatical officer. :-). She had a great year and great times with the kids. Go for it!
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #33
Passafist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

I have a friend who’s wife was in a similar position and long story short she found a job for almost the same yearly pay and only works 3 1/2 days a week. She was in medical field and worked with heart doctors so I’m sure that helped
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #34
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Interesting for sure and following...
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #35
Anteloper
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Your life expectancy wound be around 76 so take your nest egg and divide that by 26 to see if your comfortable living off that annually. Might help you decide.
Anteloper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #36
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
I didn't say anything about a good job. I really just need to make $15-20/hour and health insurance. I have no doubt I can find that at 55. I have a very solid nest egg but health insurance if I am unemployed will be in the $600-800 range so I would like to work part time to cover that and make a little money.
If I don't take this leave and work until 56 or 57 I should be able to retire completely. This last year has worn me out and not sure I can do 5 more without a refresh.
I say go for it, but I'd talk to your current employer and see if you can work something out for when you return. Though, I'd be ready to go when you have the talk.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #37
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

I haven’t had a job since I was 17
Go for it!
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #38
tradman
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson

As a funeral director, I respect the heck out of this decision! Do it while you can!
tradman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #39
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Im 51 and highly advise it. Im in a different situation but enjoying the easy life. If you can do it. Life is short and do what you can while physically able to do it. Wife and I both said we can go find a part time job at 70 if we need to
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #40
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
I havenít had a job since I was 17
Go for it!
?????
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #41
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Good luck to you. My wife and I are getting things in order to do the same thing within the next 5 years.
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #42
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Chicken, I say go for it. I would rather be in the ranch than travel, but Iím a homebody.
I had kids in college and realized how fast I was aging physically @ 60
Retired to the country and It has totally rejuvenated me mentally and physically.

Best of luck.

Big pig
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #43
txbowman12
Spike

A dollar today is worth more than the same dollar in 10 years, so is a year of your time.

If you can swing it financially, then it's a no brainer to me.
txbowman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #44
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

After a divorce in 1973 at 25 years of age I discussed taking time away with my boss. Got the green light and took off West. I wound up in Moab, Utah where mother nature cleared my head quite well. I didn't have a lot of money but really didn't need much. I returned to home in Kansas after 2 months. Became more successful at work and haven't looked back.
In retrospect, 50 would be the best age. Go!
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #45
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Chicken...... heck yes, go for it

Yes, itís super easy in my trade to get a good job over 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is your trade? Just curious
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 06:54 AM   #46
Jon Stewart
Six Point

I was a LEO and I had a 25 years service age 50 and out with a full pension and health insurance until medicare kicked in. I left at age 51 years old 22 years ago. Still going strong but sadly as I lost my wife of almost48 years 2 years ago and my fun is gone now.

If you can do it, go for it.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #47
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Do it.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #48
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Thanks for all the advice. I met with my CFP today and I think the plan will be to work another 2 1/2 years and I should be able to retire for good. My original idea of taking a few years off would require me to work another 4-6 years after my break.. I get 4 weeks vacation so I am going to make the most of those to help keep my sanity!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #49
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Great thread and wise choice TX CHICKEN.
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #50
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Great thread. Although TX Chicken seems to have gotten his answer, I thought I would break my self imposed “lurker only” status and make a comment. Some of you guys remember I did a live thread on my 6-month Appalachian Trail hike back in 2016. At the time I was 49 and I turn 50 just 2 months after getting back home. I went into my 50s in amazing shape, had a very clear head and was able to jump right back into my consulting business and despite not killing myself in 2017 had a very good year. The point is if you could financially swing a sabbatical or a hiatus and it doesn’t destroy your career...50 is a perfect time to do some thing! And it does not have to be long, but long enough that you can get away and decompress.

Fast forward a few years and I am ready for another break! The next hiatus is the Pacific Crest Trail and it will probably occur in 2022. Physically, it will be harder as I will be 5 years older! And that’s another point....there are certain experiences that we have on our bucket lists that require accomplishing sooner than later. Don’t let valuable time slip away, it’s one thing you can’t get more of.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top