Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default Bare shaft tuning question

I was shooting inside a closed warehouse so wind wasnít an issue, but does it matter what the impact angle is of the arrows? I shot 2 fletched and 2 bare and the angles of the fletched arrows were good and pointed back at me but my bare shafts were flat. My target was waist high as I couldnít get it level shoulder high. The grout was also good and tight.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young
 
muddyfuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: gulf coast
Hunt In: Parts Unknown
Default

Yes entry angle is very critical. The first thing you want to do is tune POI. You may get good entry angle quickly and luck out but usually thatís the finishing touch of bare shaft tuning. Once you get the fletched arrow and bare shaft with the same POI more than likely a final adjustment or two will have to be made to get a good entry. The final result should be a fletched arrow and bare shaft in the same hole with the shafts running parallel to each other the square to the face of the target.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #3
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
Yes entry angle is very critical. The first thing you want to do is tune POI. You may get good entry angle quickly and luck out but usually thatís the finishing touch of bare shaft tuning. Once you get the fletched arrow and bare shaft with the same POI more than likely a final adjustment or two will have to be made to get a good entry. The final result should be a fletched arrow and bare shaft in the same hole with the shafts running parallel to each other the square to the face of the target.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. I was thinking that they should both be at the same angle. The POI are the same between the fletched and bare shafts. The arrows were touching and I almost had a Robin Hood they were so close. The bare shafts were nocks were 1.5" lower compared to the fletched.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #4
Duckologist
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SW Louisiana
Default

Should look like this at 20 yards

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
Should look like this at 20 yards

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
This is at 15 yards.
Attached Images
 
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #6
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Do I chase the nock with the rest and move it down a hair to fix this?
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young
 
muddyfuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: gulf coast
Hunt In: Parts Unknown
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
Do I chase the nock with the rest and move it down a hair to fix this?

Looks pretty close, the vertical adjustment could be a small change in nock point or rest elevation OR cam timing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
Duckologist
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SW Louisiana
Default

Verify that your fletchings are not making rest or cable contact before you do anything.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
Looks pretty close, the vertical adjustment could be a small change in nock point or rest elevation OR cam timing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. Thanks for the input. I got to thinking and a while back I was trying out some heavy arrow setups and I had to move the rest up about 1/32Ē to get the broad heads to hit with the field tips. Iíll move it back down to see what happens.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young
 
muddyfuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: gulf coast
Hunt In: Parts Unknown
Default Bare shaft tuning question

You also want to try to shoot the target level, as in not down hill if possible. You get a better read that way imo. The type of target matters with bare shaft tuning, at least if you are trying to get an accurate read on entry. You need a firm target, something like a blob, block or Reinhardt. The target also needs to not be shot out. To get an accurate read on entry the arrow has to stay exactly like it was when it impacted the target. Settling after impact will make reading the impact angle very difficult and what tell you what you are really trying to figure out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 05-19-2021 at 01:09 PM.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #11
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
You also want to try to shoot the target level, as in not down hill if possible. You get a better read that way imo. The type of target matters with bare shaft tuning, at least if you are trying to get an accurate read on entry. You need a firm target, something like a blob, block or Reinhardt. The target also needs to not be shot out. To get an accurate read on entry the arrow has to stay exactly like it was when it impacted the target. Settling after impact will make reading the impact angle very difficult and what tell you what you are really trying to figure out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just sent you a PM.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 PM   #12
Terran28
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: White Settlement/FTW
Hunt In: Wherever is free and/or cheap
Default

Ranch Fairy on YouTube has some great videos on bare shaft tuning.
Terran28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Pow Pow!
Default

Do you still have to broadhead tune after you bareshaft tune?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #14
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Do you still have to broadhead tune after you bareshaft tune?
If you do then, (and it is the final goal) any adjustment is made... then the bare shaft process really did nothing
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #15
Duckologist
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SW Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Do you still have to broadhead tune after you bareshaft tune?
You should not have to. I've never had broadheads not fly after getting everything tuned. Arrows and bow. After bareshaft tuning and getting bow tuned. I shoot every arrow as a bare shaft and nock tune the ones that won't fly. THEN I fletch and then after that my broadheads have always flown true. Fixed heads.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #16
Matador
Ten Point
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Default

So those of you that bare shaft tune do you paper tune with a fletched arrow first? Then bare shaft tune the target impact angle? One or the Other? Do you bare shaft through paper?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #17
jds247
Ten Point
 
jds247's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bridge city Texas
Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county
Default

I bareshft tune out to 40 yards.. I don't shoot paper . I try to watch the flight of the arrow with a lighted nock.. when it looks like a Lazer and hit with my fletched I can shoot just about any broadhead.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #18
Tom
Ten Point
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa
Default

you may be "porpoising" a bit. Step back a bit and see if it changes.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #19
sandhillhunter
Six Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Taylor County, TX and New Mexico
Default

As mentioned above, if that is a bag target I would try it with a foam (solid broadhead) target and see how it looks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandhillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #20
Duckologist
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SW Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillhunter View Post
As mentioned above, if that is a bag target I would try it with a foam (solid broadhead) target and see how it looks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And make sure the target does not move. I put a cinder block on top of my block target to insure it doesn't move.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #21
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

I finally got around to paper tuning my bow and my rest was like 1/8Ē off. I almost got it tuned but it started raining. Good thing too because these poor ole mosquitoes were getting parched from not having any rain the past 12 hours.
Attached Images
 
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #22
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Nock low and left.
Seems kinda variable degrees of such. Watch your grip...but something else is off. Maybe.

What have done mechanically for tuning so far during paper tuning? What has worked and what hasnt?

Good luck MrHighspeed.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-05-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #23
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Nock low and left.
Seems kinda variable degrees of such. Watch your grip...but something else is off. Maybe.

What have done mechanically for tuning so far during paper tuning? What has worked and what hasnt?

Good luck MrHighspeed.
Iíve moved the rest to the left. I got a little more to move it but it started raining. Iíll adjust the D-loop when I get the rest aligned. So far the rest adjustment has worked great in getting the tear remedied
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 05:10 PM   #24
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Well...looks like I need to take it to a shop. Can’t get the left tear out of it. Got the D-loop centered so it’s just a left tear now.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #25
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Good luck....Chasing tail. For as much as I dont like chasing tail...I do it alot.

You figuring on shimming cams? Buying new shafts? String adjustment?

Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-05-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #26
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Good luck....Chasing tail. For as much as I dont like chasing tail...I do it alot.

You figuring on shimming cams? Buying new shafts? String adjustment?
Iíve got a lighter spine arrow that Iím going to try first. If that doesnít fix it, then Iím going to adjust the yoke.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #27
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Cool. If doing that you might consider changing point weight on existing shafts...up some and down some. See what shakes out in grouping and paper.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-05-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #28
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Tell us what bow, draw length, arrow spine and length, and poundage.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Tell us what bow, draw length, arrow spine and length, and poundage.
Mathews Drenalin, 28” draw length, 62 lb draw weight, Gold Tip Hunter XT 300’s w/ 100 grain weights & 100 grain field tip, 29” carbon to carbon.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #30
Jamesl
Ten Point
 
Jamesl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: League City
Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
I finally got around to paper tuning my bow and my rest was like 1/8Ē off. I almost got it tuned but it started raining. Good thing too because these poor ole mosquitoes were getting parched from not having any rain the past 12 hours.
Glad to see you got some rain. We were in a 6 hour drought and I considered using my sprinkler system, but by luck, it came a downpour.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #31
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
Mathews Drenalin, 28Ē draw length, 62 lb draw weight, Gold Tip Hunter XT 300ís w/ 100 grain weights & 100 grain field tip, 29Ē carbon to carbon.
Look from bottom cam to top idler wheel along the string and see if cam leans out. If not, make sure idler is straight a full draw. May have to twist left split. I donít think arrow is too stiff. A left tear is a horizontal nock travel issue, and weak or stiff is usually a vertical issue with most single cam bows.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #32
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Look from bottom cam to top idler wheel along the string and see if cam leans out. If not, make sure idler is straight a full draw. May have to twist left split. I donít think arrow is too stiff. A left tear is a horizontal nock travel issue, and weak or stiff is usually a vertical issue with most single cam bows.
My cam and idler look good. I think I have to twist my left yoke and untwist my right
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #33
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Found a video on YouTube on how to adjust yoke twist without a press. Twisted my left side and untwisted my right and Iíve just about got it!
Attached Images
 
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 07:10 AM   #34
jds247
Ten Point
 
jds247's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bridge city Texas
Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
Found a video on YouTube on how to adjust yoke twist without a press. Twisted my left side and untwisted my right and Iíve just about got it!
That looks pretty good. My current bow doesn't shoot a clean hole through paper but bareshaft is perfect at 30 yards.. so I wouldn't completely trust a paper tune.

You also need to shoot a foam target before you start adjusting for entry angle. The rags in a bag target can make the arrow angle look bad when it's really hitting square..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #35
highspeed
Ten Point
 
highspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here
Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
That looks pretty good. My current bow doesn't shoot a clean hole through paper but bareshaft is perfect at 30 yards.. so I wouldn't completely trust a paper tune.

You also need to shoot a foam target before you start adjusting for entry angle. The rags in a bag target can make the arrow angle look bad when it's really hitting square..
My target is a foam target. Itís turned sideways so itís hard to tell. I didnít think about a bag target affecting arrow angle but it makes sense.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com