Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #51
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties

We planted 3 small plots Tuesday with “Spring Quail & Turkey Mix” from Turner Seed in Breckinridge. 3.5” of rain last week so it was plenty moist. It should germinate and then we’ll see what happens with rain. The planting is a part of our wildlife exemption. Got to make the effort whether we are successful or not. Lol
We disked, packed, spread seed and packed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #52
Low Fence
Pope & Young

And we’re off!
Attached Images

Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #53
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Good idea! I like that.

What does it cost, where do you get it and how do you spread it?

I am always looking to learn. I have VERY fertile soil and have grown whatever I want as we have a sandyish soil
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #54
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
We planted 3 small plots Tuesday with “Spring Quail & Turkey Mix” from Turner Seed in Breckinridge. 3.5” of rain last week so it was plenty moist. It should germinate and then we’ll see what happens with rain. The planting is a part of our wildlife exemption. Got to make the effort whether we are successful or not. Lol
We disked, packed, spread seed and packed again.

Lawnmowers lol .I love it
Old 05-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #55
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Lawnmowers lol .I love it
Use what ya got!

Old 05-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #56
txbowman12
Spike

Quote:
Use what ya got!

I have field envy. My plot is so pockmarked with hog rooting that a lawnmower would get highsided in about 5 seconds haha. great looking spot!
txbowman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #57
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Default 2021 Summer Food Plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbowman12 View Post
I have field envy. My plot is so pockmarked with hog rooting that a lawnmower would get highsided in about 5 seconds haha. great looking spot!
I hate to jinx myself, but we’ve never really had trouble with the hogs rooting up our food plots. They’ll do it a little but not too bad. For as much as they tear up other areas on the property we feel pretty lucky.

That little tractor my uncle is on is a 25hp “sub-compact” tractor, whatever that means lol. We have to keep the disc angle pretty shallow and make multiple passes but it handles that disc a lot better than I thought it would.

Last edited by Roscoe; 05-07-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #58
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
I hate to jinx myself, but we’ve never really had trouble with the hogs rooting up our food plots. They’ll do it a little but not too bad. For as much as they tear up other areas on the property we feel pretty lucky.

That little tractor my uncle is on is a 25hp “sub-compact” tractor, whatever that means lol. We have to keep the disc angle pretty shallow and make multiple passes but it handles that disc a lot better than I thought it would.

I would call it a SUPPED up lawn mower before I call it a tractor haha
Old 05-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #59
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would call it a SUPPED up lawn mower before I call it a tractor haha

Old 05-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #60
txbowman12
Spike

Getting pretty good germination out of my buckwheat (planted the area with the least thatch and highest ground all in buckwheat) so far. Hoping the rains come through as forecast this week
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #61
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Finally got a rain, out of last 10 days worth of “take shelter it’s gonna be bad... and nada”. Got 3/4”.

I had great soil moisture anyway. I’ll go check Thursday. That will be 1 week. I expect a high percentage of germination
Old 05-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #62
Roscoe
Pope & Young

We got .6” out at camp today. With as wet as it was when we plowed/planted we should have some seed really start to pop.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #63
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Day 6. We are up and going

Few hog tracks but no rooting. Turds the size of cord wood, so probably a worthy opponent
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #64
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Mix of sunflowers, buckwheat, millets, milo, and soybeans. Something for every critter. Got 5.8” of rain on it so looking for good things.

Name:  BC1C4AED-82C3-47B4-81B8-53975B880AD9.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  267.3 KB
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #65
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

I just got my lease plots in the ground today. No pic of them after dragging, I was too busy I guess. Iron clay peas in this plot and two others. Buckwheat in two other plots. The bottom pic is the wheat I had before mowing.
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #66
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

2 weeks growth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2021, 11:19 PM   #67
Roscoe
Pope & Young

10 days in this plot is looking pretty darn good. Hit with a heavy dose of 13-13-13 on Friday. Weather forecast looks really good to get it watered in.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #68
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Storms been dodging us pretty hard out north of Bangs but managed to pick up .5” overnight/this morning. Good start on fertilizer. Want more!

Old 05-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #69
gingib
Pope & Young

VERY VERY disappointed in my plot! Frustrated

Looks like 50-60% germination rate and mostly WGS it looks like. Very little lablab, soybeans or leafy growth.

I grain drilled, got no rain or germination for 7-10 days then got 7 inches on it
Old 05-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #70
Roscoe
Pope & Young

We had another .5” over night, so I think the fertilizer should’ve got watered in pretty good before the deluge came. Up to 2.75” now.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #71
txbowman12
Spike

Quote:

Looks like 50-60% germination rate and mostly WGS it looks like. Very little lablab, soybeans or leafy growth.

I grain drilled, got no rain or germination for 7-10 days then got 7 inches on it
Odd that you drilled and didn't get good germination. Assuming you used inoculant?
Old 05-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #72
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:

I'd give it a little more time. I planted straight soybeans and had 8 ft of water over them 10 days later. Thought they were done but went back a week later and pretty decent germination.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #73
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I want to plant a dove plot and it looks like now is the time for millet. As sure as I do it's likely to not rain again all year.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #74
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:

The ground may be a little too cold. Peas and beans like warm ground and warmish night temps to really get going. Innoculant has nothing to do with germination or even getting a good crop. Innoculant makes sure your peas or beans capture nitrogen out of the air. Your stuff may make it yet.

I haven’t looked at my plots that we planted Friday. Too soon. I got my home plots planted Saturday. The two small ones to buckwheat, the large one with a soybean/IC peas mix.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #75
elgato
Ten Point

Its May 18th and I have only planted 16 acres of about 100 acres total I intend to plant. And I just took a chance and planted that Sunday. RAIN. Then more RAIN. Then more RAIN. ground is soggy. I'm not planting till conditions are right and that is a wait and see game for now. RAIN tomorrow and Thursday forecasted. 2" yesterday. Normally I plant the last week of April thru the first week of May. Obviously not this year.

The elbon rye I normally roller crimp has gone to seed and is dead. Wheat is in hard seed and the deer are hammering the seed heads. The crimson is long gone.I drilled straight into the standing small grains and it worked fairly well....assuming seeds don't rot from more rain.

I'm gonna do a video next week all things considered . Every year is a new year with growing things.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #76
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post

The elbon rye I normally roller crimp has gone to seed and is dead. Wheat is in hard seed and the deer are hammering the seed heads. The crimson is long gone.I drilled straight into the standing small grains and it worked fairly well....assuming seeds don't rot from more rain.

I'm gonna do a video next week all things considered . Every year is a new year with growing things.
So when it dries out will you just drill and not bother with crimping since the grains are beyond maturity and just let the drill push over the stalks? At what point would you consider not planting all plots if it stays too wet, June? Looking forward to another video.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:44 PM   #77
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Got my peas/beans/sunflower in on May 1st just in time before the rain hit that evening. Looks like everything is taking off just fine. I may or may not have missed a strip when spraying the fall plot LOL

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #78
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:

3 big factors probably got ya here. 1 was planting too early. Soil temp is just as big a factor as anything. And this year is definitely cooler than normal... which you would in my opinion have been very early anyway

2. Days without rain in no moisture. Seed just sitting out dries out and birds eat way more than people think. Even drilled

3. Extremely heavy rain- can’t be controlled but can float seed out of rows. I had a hay meadow down hill one year with a great pea crop.... and I didn’t ev n plant it!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #79
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
So when it dries out will you just drill and not bother with crimping since the grains are beyond maturity and just let the drill push over the stalks? At what point would you consider not planting all plots if it stays too wet, June? Looking forward to another video.
Yes I will drill without crimping. That is what I did with the 2 fields I already planted and it worked well. So far there is minimal weed encroachment in the fields so I am not planning to spray. I'm going to plant whenever conditions are right irrespective of time as I want living roots in the soil at all time.Also I plan to mob graze my fields with cows in fall so I have adjusted my mix accordingly.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #80
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I’d say germination % would be.... SOLID. All this rain, plowed dirt would have been catastrophic
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #81
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Odd that you drilled and didn't get good germination. Assuming you used inoculant?
Yes but only on the soybeans. I shouldn't have needed to as I have had it planted the last 2-3 years and should have plenty of Nitrogen

We got 5 more inches on it so we will see.

Sad and frustrated lol
Old 05-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #82
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
3 big factors probably got ya here. 1 was planting too early. Soil temp is just as big a factor as anything. And this year is definitely cooler than normal... which you would in my opinion have been very early anyway

2. Days without rain in no moisture. Seed just sitting out dries out and birds eat way more than people think. Even drilled

3. Extremely heavy rain- can’t be controlled but can float seed out of rows. I had a hay meadow down hill one year with a great pea crop.... and I didn’t ev n plant it!
I think you are right on 1/2. A combo of bad things.

Soil temp has not been super hot yet and 7-10 days with no rain and likely birds and seeds drying out.

Nothing I can do now. We got alot of rain. On camera it has taken off and is very green with deer in the plot. BUT in person, its mostly looks like Sorghum(corn looking).
Old 05-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #83
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I’d say germination % would be.... SOLID. All this rain, plowed dirt would have been catastrophic
Plowed dirt would have been catastrophic !!!

The more that is learned about soil health, soil microbiology, the plant microbiological relationship along with the deleterious effects tillage has on soil the better it is understood how important no till is.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #84
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Plowed dirt would have been catastrophic !!!

The more that is learned about soil health, soil microbiology, the plant microbiological relationship along with the deleterious effects tillage has on soil the better it is understood how important no till is.

Very true. In addition to increasingly better plot growth every season, I’ve found soil drainage is better also. Areas that used to just constantly hold water after a rain have limited or no standing water since using no till due to roots opening up compaction to allow the water to drain. This is in blackland clay.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #85
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

First 2 pics are of plots I am trying to do some soil building with sorghum Sudan and forage sorghum plants with a little millet thrown in and third pic is a bird plot that the buckwheat has gone crazy with the rain but the sorghum, millets and sunflower have been slow to show.

Name:  2E23FDFD-9D0F-4DA8-808E-56B026EAFB07.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  183.0 KB

Name:  CD0CF920-B530-476A-BE62-66919814ABC5.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  217.5 KB

Name:  9F1CE5E4-8BCD-4952-A42C-6C7A0913306A.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  266.3 KB
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #86
gingib
Pope & Young

We got 5 more inches this week haha!

On my camera it looks like a golf course. Will go look at it this week sometime, but I suppose its about the same.

I will take some pics
Old 05-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #87
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Lovin the thread.

Lot of plot planters underestimate or do not understand what you are doing. Killing the present crop, regardless what it is, with a crimper or spraying, is far more beneficial than plowing. Leaving the thatch covering the ground, deters weed growth, retains moisture, keeps the ground cooler and provides nutrients for the soil and that's just a few of the benefits.

My only knock on your method is spraying. Being a beekeeper, I cringe at the thought of spraying.

Great thread.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #88
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I wish I could skip that too, but it’s just not realistic in this area to just roll for a spring plot. I can for fall plots or shred
Old 05-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #89
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wish I could skip that too, but it’s just not realistic in this area to just roll for a spring plot. I can for fall plots or shred
You won't spray in the fall before you plant your winter plot?

Shredding a standing(not dead) plot creates so much thatch.

This will be first time planting into a summer plot, so just trying to learn. My winter plots have been nothing short of amazing.

We got 7 inches this week, can wait to see the plot. Been 2 weeks
Old 05-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #90
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I will and have. Nothing is ever set in stone. Last year at fall planting I had peas waist high solid. I cut and planted into pea thatch no sprays

Spring I’ll have too many weeds and Forbes in competition. I want it dead!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #91
txbowman12
Spike

Got 12” of rain in the last two weeks. Had some flooding and cows get in after my fence shorted out, but everything is looking good this morning!

Name:  73003D00-8439-4A17-9493-34ADDDF04CC7.jpeg
Views: 210
Size:  61.4 KB
Old 05-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #92
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got 12” of rain in the last two weeks. Had some flooding and cows get in after my fence shorted out, but everything is looking good this morning!

Attachment 1050957
Dang, that looks like my clover plot. Once Spring green up occurred, the deer left the clover plot and it took off! Bees loved it though.
Im sure the clover is dying or dead by now, it is at our house.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #93
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Finally got a chance to head up and check out soybean plot. Looking good

armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #94
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Yeah, that looks good.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #95
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Took a quick look at one of our turkey plots this evening. Growing like crazy.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #96
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

My neighbor plants some type of hay grazer on our place for bailing. The deer are in it every afternoon.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #97
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:

Looks similar to that, without the broadleaf.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #98
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I’m planting Hancock Seed’s Summer Buckshot

Soybean
Iron Clay Cow Peas
WGF Sorghum
Brown Top Millet
Trucker's Favorite White Dent Corn
Sunflowers

I mowed down the fall plot 2 weeks ago and will be planting with minimum tillage later this week. Spray down, spread seed, lightly disk with coulters almost completely straight.

Here was the fall plot when I mowed it down

That fall plot looks really good. I’ll bet it was super attractive through the winter.

I haven’t looked at mine lately,been indisposed for close to a week but I’m gonna look at them tomorrow. Last time I saw the beans were peeking through and looked sick from all the rain we’ve been getting.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 PM   #99
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Default 2021 Summer Food Plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
Looks similar to that, without the broadleaf.
This is what’s in the plot.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:49 PM   #100
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

If I had to guess, it is probably sorghum almum or hegari that my neighbor plants.
Or as they say around here, "high-gear-ah".