Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #201
12ring
Pope & Young
 
12ring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whitesboro, Texas
Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default Back in the day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
I tried store bought potatoes a few times. Never did very well. Recently I read they are sprayed with a sprout preventative to keep them from growing sprouts on the shelf. Also seems they rot easier because the skin isnít thick like a seed potato.

When i's a kid we used store bought taters. Worked great! But they prob didnt have the sprout killing juice 40 yrs ago!
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #202
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
We have dodged all the major thunder/wind storms so far! Praise God!! Got 2 perfect rains after planting and everything is looking real healthy... Watching for the corn n peas to erupt any day now. Got the Benelli ready by the back door for the dang crows... They always hit the corn, peas n okra soon as it starts coming up... they pull up the plant and get the kernel off of it... If I can catch 'em when they first come in and blast a few of 'em, that usually keeps them away until the corn gets big enough they can't hurt it... They don't like to see their buddies hangin' on the fence...


Real late with taters... couldn't find any "seed taters" so made my own out of a couple sacks of red russetts from HEB... chitting them now. Hope to get them in the ground Saturday... Fingers crossed and asked the Lord as nicely as I know how to hold off on the rain just a bit more...
Slick, where you at? Southwest Fertilizer in Houston had seed potatoes when I was in there last weekend.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #203
sqiggy
Pope & Young
 
sqiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Franklin, Tx
Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co
Default

Hey Slick, my grandma told me years ago, kill a crow and hang it in your garden. Then they will leave it alone. Happened to me and I did just that and worked like a charm.
On the taters, you may be to late. Supposed to plant those on Valentineís Day.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #204
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Anyone use hoss tools wheel hoe or any other tools? I’m considering getting one. I recently installed their drip irrigation system and it’s been good so far.

They seem to have loads of knowledge and post a lot of YouTube videos to watch and learn.

Hope everyone’s garden is doing well. We had .5” of rain overnight.

I had to replant a lot due to very poor germination.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #205
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Didn't know about the anti-eye juice!! Dang it!! And y'all may be right... too late. I have always planted taters on Valentine's day too. I've had these taters sitting in a window in the sun with a damp blanket under them for a week and I don't see any evidence of eye production... Guess we may just have to eat 'em...


I may still give Southwest Feed/Fertilizer a shout and see if they have any seed taters... My bride sure wants to plant some taters... Heck, if she gets one, that'll be good...


Regarding the crows, I did that last time I had corn... Caught them walking down the rows pulling up the sprout to get the corn kernel on the end... Was three of them. None made it out the garden fence. I hung them on the fence and no more crow problems... In my walk around yesterday evening, I noticed quite a few sprouts both corn and purple hull peas, so hoping the dang crows don't clean me out while I'm at work... Will be on crow watch this afternoon tho soon as I can get home... Gonna go to Tractor Supply this weekend and get me a bunch of cattle panels to my trellising and building tomato cages... Maters, squash, cukes, peppers all looking real good... Okra only has a couple sprouts up so far...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #206
Cullbuck
Six Point
 
Cullbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: setx
Hunt In: setx
Default

Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #207
slabnabbin
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Anyone use hoss tools wheel hoe or any other tools? Iím considering getting one. I recently installed their drip irrigation system and itís been good so far.

They seem to have loads of knowledge and post a lot of YouTube videos to watch and learn.

Hope everyoneís garden is doing well. We had .5Ē of rain overnight.

I had to replant a lot due to very poor germination.

I use their double wheel hoe and it works great. My big garden is on drip and fertilizer injection which has helped tremendously in our sandy soil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #208
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Greater DFW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullbuck View Post
Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.

I follow the ďdirt doctorísĒ advice on ants around the garden. It is fully organic, safe to be around edible foods, and will kill a mound in a heartbeat if you do it right.

https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Or...trol_vq376.htm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #209
eradicator
Pope & Young
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullbuck View Post
Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.
Diatomaceous Earth works fairly well as long as it doesn't get wet.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #210
Cullbuck
Six Point
 
Cullbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: setx
Hunt In: setx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I follow the ďdirt doctorísĒ advice on ants around the garden. It is fully organic, safe to be around edible foods, and will kill a mound in a heartbeat if you do it right.

https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Or...trol_vq376.htm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks ill check it out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Diatomaceous Earth works fairly well as long as it doesn't get wet.
Thanks, I saw that when i googled but it rains pretty much everyday where im at. Still may give it a shot.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #211
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Casper,Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Diatomaceous Earth works fairly well as long as it doesn't get wet.
I did a 3 month test with that stuff back when I originally started heading toward the organic route. It did not work for me at all...in fact the ants seemed to begin using the diatomaceous to fortifie and strengthen their mounds after a while.
That was my sole personal experience with it.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #212
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabnabbin View Post
I use their double wheel hoe and it works great. My big garden is on drip and fertilizer injection which has helped tremendously in our sandy soil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím considering getting the double wheel hoe. Iíve got the drip system and also want to get the fertilizer injection kit, Iím also in a sandy type soil.

What attachment do you use the most on the wheel hoe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #213
slabnabbin
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

The plow set to make furrows and cover then sweeps to weed with. I donít have much use for the cultivator teeth with our soil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #214
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullbuck View Post
Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.

Take a pot of boiling water and dump on the nest slowly. Usually gets the point across and doesnít leave any chemicals behind.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #215
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point
 
Lone_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I follow the ďdirt doctorísĒ advice on ants around the garden. It is fully organic, safe to be around edible foods, and will kill a mound in a heartbeat if you do it right.

https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Or...trol_vq376.htm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howard Garrett is a hippie. Check out Neil Sperry. His Lone Star Gardening book is a must have.

https://neilsperry.com/
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #216
Mountaineer
Eight Point
 
Mountaineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney
Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co
Default

All I have time/space for are raised beds and pots. Maters coming along with buds on them. Okra and peas starting to pop up out of the soil.

My first time trying potatoes. I cut up a couple store potatoes from the bag with eyes and planted them in one bed in Feb. I have hilled them 2-3 times already. They keep poking up through the top after a few days. Do I keep covering them regularly or let them go?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:39 PM   #217
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
All I have time/space for are raised beds and pots. Maters coming along with buds on them. Okra and peas starting to pop up out of the soil.

My first time trying potatoes. I cut up a couple store potatoes from the bag with eyes and planted them in one bed in Feb. I have hilled them 2-3 times already. They keep poking up through the top after a few days. Do I keep covering them regularly or let them go?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let the plant grow once itís 10Ē yíall hill it again. You need foliage to grow the potatoes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #218
Mountaineer
Eight Point
 
Mountaineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney
Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Let the plant grow once itís 10Ē yíall hill it again. You need foliage to grow the potatoes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it, Thank you sir


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #219
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Don’t over think taters. They are easy as long as they don’t have to much water and rot.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #220
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: East tx
Default

I have a rather large garden and wondering what folks are using to make rows with behind a tractor. I have looked at the bedder attachment online but have never used one. Any certain brand etc anyone had experience with? Thanks in advance.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #221
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: East tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Johnny, This is what I use for making my garden rows. Once you get it set up, it makes absolutely perfect rows and with the optional furrowing attachment, it opens the top of the row up so all you have to do is drop in seeds and cover them up.


This web site has a lot of good information as well as good YouTube videos on how to set the attachments up. I called and asked questions and they were always helpful... Quick shipments too... first time I called, I told him his attachment wouldn't work for me because it was the wrong color... He said, "what you mean?"... I tole him all my stuff had to be John Deere Green... He chuckled and tole me all his stuff was Case Yeller... Good folks.


https://www.everythingattachments.co...gb50deluxe.htm


I got the 48" bedder because I didn't want to make my rows too far apart, and with the small "plows" set at their widest hole setting, they take out my tire tracks and makes for a nice looking garden...


Attachment 1043759


Attachment 1043758

Attachment 1043757


As you can see from the pic, the bedder now works very well on my tractor... I painted it the RIGHT color!!
Perfect this is what I need to take the prepping work out of gardening.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #222
doublearrow
Ten Point
 
doublearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Midland, Texas
Default

Now hopefully i can plant mine and sell all the others...
Attached Images
 
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #223
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default

Wow, nice setup. Looks very well done.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #224
sqiggy
Pope & Young
 
sqiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Franklin, Tx
Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co
Default

Been working 7-12ís on our outage and being on days, donít have time to work mine. But, we get a rest day every 14th day, so I was able to get the rest of the garden rowed up and got some purple hull peas planted and watermelon. Wife is going to have to get me all my tomatoes and pepper plants. Still have to plant some cream peas and another variety of purple hull peas. I like to stager my peas, that way they all donít come in at the same time. Sweet corn and snap beans are up.
Name:  9007B804-4490-4418-BE3B-8214D572DAD5.jpeg
Views: 469
Size:  171.7 KB
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #225
sqiggy
Pope & Young
 
sqiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Franklin, Tx
Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co
Default

Donít know why pic went sideways!!
Let me try another one.
Name:  0AA81525-14F6-44BA-9D26-9514473451A9.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  210.0 KB
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #226
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Distance gardening?? Anyone ever garden while being away 5 and sometimes 12 days away for work?? I plan to run a smaller garden with automatic watering. Will this even have a chance to work? Ideas and suggestions are highly welcomed...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #227
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Distance gardening?? Anyone ever garden while being away 5 and sometimes 12 days away for work?? I plan to run a smaller garden with automatic watering. Will this even have a chance to work? Ideas and suggestions are highly welcomed...


Drip irrigation is your friend works great for me. Only thing I need to do is fertilizer once a week. Already about to start picking peppers!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #228
LivinADream
Pope & Young
 
LivinADream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnie TX
Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS
Default

I planted about 2 weeks ago. 4 rows of sweet corn (2 different kinds)
1 row okra, 1 row snap beans, 1 row purple hulls, 2 rows of tomatoes, 2 rows of peppers (chilli, banana, jap, hab, bell, Tabasco), 1 row cucumbers/squash/zucchini, 1 row cabbage, 1 row onions, 1 1/2 row taters, 3 strawberries, and several sunflowers (teddy bear, chocolate cherry, and another I forgot) throughout. Rows are 40'. I'm going to be busy this year. And I had plenty of help.


Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #229
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Drip irrigation is your friend works great for me. Only thing I need to do is fertilizer once a week. Already about to start picking peppers!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you have any pics of your drip irrigation set up??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #230
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Do you have any pics of your drip irrigation set up??

Itís all on a cheap timer. 2x a day for 45min 3x a week. I will get a pic of the garden tomorrow. Thriving like crazy.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #231
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Itís all on a cheap timer. 2x a day for 45min 3x a week. I will get a pic of the garden tomorrow. Thriving like crazy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you Sir!
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #232
.243 WSSM
Ten Point
 
.243 WSSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Metromess, TX
Hunt In: Fannin Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
I have a rather large garden and wondering what folks are using to make rows with behind a tractor. I have looked at the bedder attachment online but have never used one. Any certain brand etc anyone had experience with? Thanks in advance.
I don't have one but this looks pretty cool with multiple uses. You put the standard hiller discs on to make your rows. Then later you can swap the discs with spider gang cultivators and weed in between the rows. If I had a large garden I would be doing this and leaving the hoeing to the grumpy old farts on here.

https://www.agrisupply.com/keulavator-frame/p/51946/
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #233
Rubi513
Pope & Young
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Centerville
Hunt In: Walker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
Now hopefully i can plant mine and sell all the others...
Nice setup!
I need to try this. The price of plants is getting ridiculous.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #234
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Johnny, This is what I use for making my garden rows. Once you get it set up, it makes absolutely perfect rows and with the optional furrowing attachment, it opens the top of the row up so all you have to do is drop in seeds and cover them up.


This web site has a lot of good information as well as good YouTube videos on how to set the attachments up. I called and asked questions and they were always helpful... Quick shipments too... first time I called, I told him his attachment wouldn't work for me because it was the wrong color... He said, "what you mean?"... I tole him all my stuff had to be John Deere Green... He chuckled and tole me all his stuff was Case Yeller... Good folks.


https://www.everythingattachments.co...gb50deluxe.htm


I got the 48" bedder because I didn't want to make my rows too far apart, and with the small "plows" set at their widest hole setting, they take out my tire tracks and makes for a nice looking garden...


Attachment 1043759


Attachment 1043758

Attachment 1043757


As you can see from the pic, the bedder now works very well on my tractor... I painted it the RIGHT color!!
Just seeing this. Love that attachment and will more than likely get one for next Spring when I go much bigger with the garden. I ended up getting a single wheel hoe and other than a good arm workout, it does the job pretty darn quick! I planted a week back....36 tomatoes, 3 sweet 100's, a dozen jalapeno, 7 black beauty eggplants, two 50ft rows of bush beans (blue lake n contender), two 10ft rows of radishes, two 10ft rows of beets and half dozen red bell peppers. During lunch today I tilled up another garden area and will put purple and yellow onions in there along with watermelon and cucumber. Now all I gotta do is keep the deer and rabbits out of it.lol
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #235
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

What tractor are y’all using in your gardens getting ready to expand a good bit and need a piece of equipment.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #236
Skipshot
Ten Point
 
Skipshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Lavaca, TX
Default

Other than battling the fire ants, my garden is coming on nicely.








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skipshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #237
Rubi513
Pope & Young
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Centerville
Hunt In: Walker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipshot View Post
Other than battling the fire ants, my garden is coming on nicely.








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like those cages! Did you build them?
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #238
scotty
Pope & Young
 
scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Taylor,Tx
Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas
Default


The garden is coming along nicely now that itís warmed up a bit.

My asparagus has really taken off. This was from today.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #239
JES
Ten Point
 
JES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

My wife got our garden planted, okra, tomatoes, cucumbers for pickling, jalapenos, yellow squash, zucchini and cantaloupe.

I looked and last year we planted at the end of February, this year was end of March, between the freeze and a vacation we were off a month.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #240
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default

Scotty, do you let ferns grow for a while before you harvest? Finally seeing some shoots from ours, but afraid to pick the first ones?....

My corn and okra rows are starting to sprout. Beans and peas are doing well, and tomatoes are about 18Ē tall already.

Have cantaloupe and melons about ready to plant, and this year I have some Dillís Giant and Knucklehead pumpkins. Curious how they handle the heat, but they look good so far.

Peppers are slow to start but should be good this year. Started onions the week before the freeze. Covered them, and they look good so far. Planted 200 starts, will pull/thin some for cooking along the way.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 05:49 AM   #241
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default 2021 Gardening Thread

Photos are not wanting to load.

Last edited by ShoootLow; 04-12-2021 at 06:27 AM.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #242
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default




Vegetable garden is doing good everything is taking of! Peppers and tomatoes are starting to bloom.

Just added another 3/4 acre to the garden plan on putting in 30-40 180í rows of watermelon and cantaloupe to sell and adding some procut sunflowers as well, partnering up with a buddy of mine in the farmer market game.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #243
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Casper,Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default

I am trying so hard to stay as organic as possible but am losing the battle. We lost all our bok choy this weekend to bugs. Litterly ate them over night after me giving them a daily dose of neem oil. Last year we lost half our garden to squash bugs and other plant destroying bugs after trying a 100% organic regimen. Man I hate to break out the 7 dust but its getting to the point that its the only option if we want to garden in our particular area.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #244
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Greater DFW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I am trying so hard to stay as organic as possible but am losing the battle. We lost all our bok choy this weekend to bugs. Litterly ate them over night after me giving them a daily dose of neem oil. Last year we lost half our garden to squash bugs and other plant destroying bugs after trying a 100% organic regimen. Man I hate to break out the 7 dust but its getting to the point that its the only option if we want to garden in our particular area.

Have you tried floating row covers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #245
eradicator
Pope & Young
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I am trying so hard to stay as organic as possible but am losing the battle. We lost all our bok choy this weekend to bugs. Litterly ate them over night after me giving them a daily dose of neem oil. Last year we lost half our garden to squash bugs and other plant destroying bugs after trying a 100% organic regimen. Man I hate to break out the 7 dust but its getting to the point that its the only option if we want to garden in our particular area.
And 7 dust is only '5 dust' these days lol. But still the go to as far as I'm concerned
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #246
RockTippedStick
Ten Point
 
RockTippedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk
Default

Hail storm last week took out a lot of my garden. Then my dog decided to play in there. And a half tailed squirrel thinks it's funny to dig up my plants. Have my sons be gun ready for him. Going tomorrow to buy replacements for what we lost.
We have green beans, greens, cucumbers, jalapeŮos bells and bananas, eggplants, tomatoes purple Cherokee parks whoppers cherrys and celebrity's and trying watermelons and strawberries.
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #247
eradicator
Pope & Young
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTippedStick View Post
Hail storm last week took out a lot of my garden. Then my dog decided to play in there. And a half tailed squirrel thinks it's funny to dig up my plants. Have my sons be gun ready for him. Going tomorrow to buy replacements for what we lost.
We have green beans, greens, cucumbers, jalapeŮos bells and bananas, eggplants, tomatoes purple Cherokee parks whoppers cherrys and celebrity's and trying watermelons and strawberries.
2 problems. You need to control your dog and you need to control the squirrels.

Never ending battle with the squirrels in my backyard garden. But I may or may not have a graveyard out there
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #248
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default





Garden looking good. Tomatoes on all plants. Peppers on everything. Beans have been stunted for a 2 weeks but not dying. Iím expecting them the take off once it heats up. I believe I have some cross pollination on one of my peppers. Have what looks to be a bell pepper growing on my Bulgarian carrot pepper plant. Itís got bells to the left and right of it. Iím interested to see how this pans out. One of my tomatoís is over 48Ē. Using a super easy fertilizer this year. Myco+ fungi and complete crop. Both by element nutrients both fed together once a week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #249
Killer
Ten Point
 
Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Powderly, TX
Hunt In: God's green earth
Default

Is anybody in the frost or freeze area on here? I hate I’m going to need to cover everything here in Paris. There saying 33 to 34 degrees here Wednesday morning
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 11:49 PM   #250
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
2 problems. You need to control your dog and you need to control the squirrels.

Never ending battle with the squirrels in my backyard garden. But I may or may not have a graveyard out there

Squirrels fit just fine, next to the beans and taters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com