Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #151
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Yessir they can when it's small... My wife's "girls" are not completely free-range, but we let 'em out when we are home and around. With a garden that's growing good, they do some pretty good bug control, but they will pull emerging plants and scratch in the dirt for bugs and such if you don't keep 'em out... maybe a hot wire for a while?? My grand pa used to do that when he'd start his garden... After a couple weeks, the chickens wouldn't go anywhere near his garden...
Hmmm, well I guess Ill have to get creative. As I plowed and tilled today they were all over it finding bugs and worms.
Thanks for the heads up
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2021, 11:09 PM   #152
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

If we don't watch 'em ours will peck veggies of all sizes and shapes too... We feed 'em the scraps from processing veggies and table leftovers so they have a natural propensity to go for them. Fun to watch 'em fight over a big ol' green tomato worm!! It's pretty violent and green blood everywhere!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2021, 03:55 AM   #153
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Planted thus far:
Boston pickling cukes
Tomatoes
- big boy
- celebrity
- Amelia
- walkers improved

Mint
-spearmint
- sweet mint
- chocolate mint

Lemon Balm

Mini eggplants

Seeds ordered from Willhite:
Corn
Popcorn
Carrots
Sunflowers
Purple hulls
And five other things I can't remember that i ordered.

All fruit trees have buds that have popped
Two pecan trees look dead

I'll plant more Lettuce today as the rain is here

My red onions and garlic that I planted in December look to be doing great

Collard greens and broccoli don't seem to want to give me anything although they seem to be pretty stout

Last edited by texansfan; 03-11-2021 at 04:01 AM.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #154
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

I'm late to the party but got things rolling today. I got my new tractor delivered yesterday along with a 5ft tiller and what a game changer. I've been using a small walk behind tiller for 20 years! I just tilled in about 10 yards of shroom dirt straight from the Monterey Mushroom plant. I'm gonna let that sit for a week or so before planting. Will get pics soon of garden area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #155
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Very nice Johnny!! Congratulations on the new toys!! Will sure make clearing shooting lanes and such easier too!!
Old 03-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #156
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Any of yall use a drip irrigation system to water your gardens? Ill be putting mine in today little late on some stuff but better late than never.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #157
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Just got our garden planted 100x40. 17 40’ rows mixed vegetables
Tomato
Squash/zucchini
Peppers 3 variety
Carrot
Spinach
Cucumbers an pickles
Corn
Okra
Green beans
Watermelon
Cucumber
With a few rows of flowers for the bees
In 2 weeks time I’ll plant dill and cilantro.
Also plan on putting in some huge sunflowers.

First year garden at the new house. Grandpa had a garden here all his life except the last 7-8 years. Picking up where he left off.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #158
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I'm late to the party but got things rolling today. I got my new tractor delivered yesterday along with a 5ft tiller and what a game changer. I've been using a small walk behind tiller for 20 years! I just tilled in about 10 yards of shroom dirt straight from the Monterey Mushroom plant. I'm gonna let that sit for a week or so before planting. Will get pics soon of garden area.

Congrats Johnny! Some tillers give the option to change the direction of tiller rotation, if your does you really wanting so that its pulling back on the tractor vs pushing it if that makes sense.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #159
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Just got our garden planted 100x40. 17 40 rows mixed vegetables
Tomato
Squash/zucchini
Peppers 3 variety
Carrot
Spinach
Cucumbers an pickles
Corn
Okra
Green beans
Watermelon
Cucumber
With a few rows of flowers for the bees
In 2 weeks time Ill plant dill and cilantro.
Also plan on putting in some huge sunflowers.

First year garden at the new house. Grandpa had a garden here all his life except the last 7-8 years. Picking up where he left off.
Cilantro?
What area you in for that? I'm southeast Texas. Love that stuff but never tried to grow it. Guess I'm researching now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #160
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
Cilantro?
What area you in for that? I'm southeast Texas. Love that stuff but never tried to grow it. Guess I'm researching now.

I plant cilantro in the fall and it grows all winter until it finally bolts when it gets hot. It reseeds itself if you let it. I planted one plant about a decade ago and it now comes up every fall on its own all over the garden lol. I always keep some seeds and throw them out in the fall just in case
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2021, 11:38 PM   #161
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I plant cilantro in the fall and it grows all winter until it finally bolts when it gets hot. It reseeds itself if you let it. I planted one plant about a decade ago and it now comes up every fall on its own all over the garden lol. I always keep some seeds and throw them out in the fall just in case
Good to know thanks

BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #162
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Congrats Johnny! Some tillers give the option to change the direction of tiller rotation, if your does you really wanting so that its pulling back on the tractor vs pushing it if that makes sense.

You know Brent, I'm gonna look at my Deere tiller to see if it has that option... My tiller (72 incher) will push my tractor when I push in the clutch. Reverse rotation would stop that... One side of my wife's garden spot is near our back yard picket fence... I've punched it twice because of that!!
Old 03-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #163
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

And so far, so good on the rain over the past few days... Nothing that will stop me from making rows for my bride to start puttin' stuff in the ground... If we don't get a downpour, I'll be making rows Wednesday or Thursday... Got my fingers crossed and said a little prayer to the Good Lord for the opportunity to git-er-dun...
Old 03-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #164
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Same here was wondering if cutting/preventing the bolt will have it continue to produce the good leaves?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #165
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

Quote:
Any of yall use a drip irrigation system to water your gardens? Ill be putting mine in today little late on some stuff but better late than never.

scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #166
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Roger that. I'm going to check it and see if it has that option. Thanks.

So what is everyone using to make your rows?

Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #167
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Johnny, This is what I use for making my garden rows. Once you get it set up, it makes absolutely perfect rows and with the optional furrowing attachment, it opens the top of the row up so all you have to do is drop in seeds and cover them up.

This web site has a lot of good information as well as good YouTube videos on how to set the attachments up. I called and asked questions and they were always helpful... Quick shipments too... first time I called, I told him his attachment wouldn't work for me because it was the wrong color... He said, "what you mean?"... I tole him all my stuff had to be John Deere Green... He chuckled and tole me all his stuff was Case Yeller... Good folks.

https://www.everythingattachments.co...gb50deluxe.htm

I got the 48" bedder because I didn't want to make my rows too far apart, and with the small "plows" set at their widest hole setting, they take out my tire tracks and makes for a nice looking garden...

Name:  IMG_7447.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  253.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7450.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  200.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7451.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  272.0 KB

As you can see from the pic, the bedder now works very well on my tractor... I painted it the RIGHT color!!

Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 03-15-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #168
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
Cilantro?

Cilantro grows stupid in south East San Antonio, when it gets hot it will bolt fast but usually it puts on a nice crop beforehand. Let it seed out and dry you will never have to replant.

The butterflys seem to like the flower too.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #169
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Got everything planted for the most part and of course I do everything back asswards so I just ordered a drip kit from Hoss. 189$ for everything to water my 90x40 garden. We shall see if I can keep the weeds down and get anything to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #170
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Anyone plant pumpkins?
Old 03-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #171
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Anyone plant pumpkins?
I'd like to, but I just don't have room.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #172
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

OK, got a question....
Anyone ever put their purple hull or similar peas on a trellis? Thinking about trying to get mine to grow up a cattle panel trellis to get 'em off the ground and separate the rows a bit... By the time mine are in peak of production, my rows that are almost 6 feet apart are all grown together... Never heard of anybody putting peas on a trellis, but sure seems like it would work AND make pickin' 'em a lot less back-breaking!
Anybody??
Old 03-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #173
Palmetto
Ten Point

Quote:
OK, got a question....
Anyone ever put their purple hull or similar peas on a trellis? Thinking about trying to get mine to grow up a cattle panel trellis to get 'em off the ground and separate the rows a bit... By the time mine are in peak of production, my rows that are almost 6 feet apart are all grown together... Never heard of anybody putting peas on a trellis, but sure seems like it would work AND make pickin' 'em a lot less back-breaking!
Anybody??
I did last year, and it worked pretty good. I had one row of peas. Spaced that row 3' away from my last row of corn, and it got kinda tight once everything was grown out, but not too bad.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #174
Palmetto
Ten Point

Quote:
Anyone plant pumpkins?
I planted some 2 years ago. They were supposed to be giant pumpkins according to the package, but the biggest one was about 10" diameter. To me, giant is a little bigger than that, LOL. The kids had fun with it, but dont think I will waste my time agian. Planted around July 4th for an October ripening/picking.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #175
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Thank you sir! Last year I had 4 rows of peas about 50 yards long and by the time they reached peak production, they were just one big mass of vines and the grass was terrible... I couldn't get in there to weed or anything and wading through them to pick 'em damaged the vines badly. It's gonna cost a small fortune in panels, but I've got to give that a try!
Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #176
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
I planted some 2 years ago. They were supposed to be giant pumpkins according to the package, but the biggest one was about 10" diameter. To me, giant is a little bigger than that, LOL. The kids had fun with it, but dont think I will waste my time agian. Planted around July 4th for an October ripening/picking.

Did you have problems with diseases?

Thinking about doing a little pumpkin patch so the wife dont have to buy all her decorative pumpkins plus I just like to experiment.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #177
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
OK, got a question....
Anybody??
I plant "top of the vine purple hull peas". All pea pods grow at the top of the plant and you don't have to search all through the plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #178
El General
Ten Point

They have bush variety and vine variety of purple hulls I think. If yours are vine variety, then they should run up that trellis good.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #179
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

We gonna find out! I'll be headed to TSC this weekend with my trailer... gonna buy a bunch of panels to trellis my peas, cukes, maters and squash/zucchini... You get a discount at 20 panels...
Old 03-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #180
Palmetto
Ten Point

Quote:

Thinking about doing a little pumpkin patch so the wife dont have to buy all her decorative pumpkins plus I just like to experiment.

No I did not.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #181
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
We gonna find out! I'll be headed to TSC this weekend with my trailer... gonna buy a bunch of panels to trellis my peas, cukes, maters and squash/zucchini... You get a discount at 20 panels...
I didnt know squash would vine on Trellis.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #182
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Got my Hoss drip irrigation system yesterday and got a few rows hooked up after work. Super simple system to hook up seems like its made well. Hope this cuts down on labor of watering the garden and weeds

Old 03-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #183
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
I didnt know squash would vine on Trellis.
Well they don't too well like a cucumber or peas/beans, but if you put a cage trellis like those little wire cages like some folks use on tomataoes, they will keep the plants more erect and upright... I plan on cutting panels into short sections and fabricating small equilateral triangle cages with the panels (like about 3 wire squares each side... Buddy of mine did this last year, and had great success... If you can keep the squash off the ground and erect, it's easier to find and treat pests that get on them, pests like bores and squash (stink) bugs...
Old 03-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #184
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

At what size do yall let your tomato put on fruit. My plants are only about 14-16 and are already producing blooms. Should I pinch them off or let them put on fruit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2021, 10:08 PM   #185
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
At what size do yall let your tomato put on fruit. My plants are only about 14-16 and are already producing blooms. Should I pinch them off or let them put on fruit??

I should mention that me and a fellow TBHer have a dispute regarding this.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #186
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

Ive never pinched em/culled/ skimmed my maters...

But, a reasonable argument could be made to pinch the blooms off until a certain age.

Do you bury have the stalk horizontal in the ground when you plant them?
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #187
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Praise the Lord, we got 'er dun (almost) this weekend!!! Finished with all the soil amendments, turned everything over one more time, made rows on Friday, and commenced to planting Saturday morning!! Now here it is Monday and I'm askin' the Lord for just the right amount of rain so I don't have to drag out water hoses...

Cut way back on size this year so hopefully we can manage it better since we're both still working full time... 10 rows 80 feet long. So far, planted:
4 half rows corn
4 half rows purple hull peas
half row of cukes
half row of squash n zucchini
a dozen tomato plants
3 egg plants,
a few snow peas
13 pepper plants (jalapeno, banana, bell) gonna get some red chili's yet.
1/4 row of cantaloupes... Gonna try to trellis them using a deal I saw on line where you hang the fruits in plastic garbage bags (aka wal-mart sacks) to support their weight...
still have to plant potatoes... chitting them now. Hopefully in a few days, they'll be ready to go in the ground.

Name:  IMG_0814.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0812.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  156.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0811.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0817.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  162.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0816.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  141.0 KB
Old 03-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #188
Jack12
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason, Greenville, Princeton

Putting radishes, tomatoes, okra, squash, and zucchini here in a week or so
Jack12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #189
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Well I have my first big crop of mustard greens that survived the ice and bounced back 20 fold. But looks like with the warmer weather the bugs have already begun to devour them. Starting to look like someone been shooting them with 12 gauge birdshot and the undersides of all the leafs are coated with thousands and thousands of eggs. I even went against tradition and hit them with a chemical that appears to have had no affect after 3 days. I understand now why this is a good winter crop.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #190
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Knew I was forgetting something in my list of plantings above... I also have a row of Okra...
Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #191
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:

Thinking about doing a little pumpkin patch so the wife don’t have to buy all her decorative pumpkins plus I just like to experiment.

Pumpkins are easy to grow. They're heavy feeders, so amend the soil with lots of manure and organic material. If you can get the soil around some old hay rings, it's great, but you'll have alot of weed seed. Or someone cleaning out a chicken coup. Also mix in some 13-13-13. I've grown them several times, and the one's that have always done the best are the Jack-o-Lantern and Connectuct Field.

Two big problems, are that pumpkins need to be planted now to grow best and get biggest, and then you need a cool place to store them the rest of the summer so they make it till fall. I've seen alot of folks try and plant them, so there ready to have a "pumpkin patch" around Fall and it always fails. To hot here. The giant pumpkin varieties are alot harder to grow, and squash bugs tend to get after them. Just my experience. Cow or chicken manure and alot of organic material like straw/old hay, and some 13-13-13.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #192
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Miracle Grow also will boost them, just don't burn them. Pretty amazing how fast they grow if you hit everything just right.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #193
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Pumpkins are easy to grow. They're heavy feeders, so amend the soil with lots of manure and organic material. If you can get the soil around some old hay rings, it's great, but you'll have alot of weed seed. Or someone cleaning out a chicken coup. Also mix in some 13-13-13. I've grown them several times, and the one's that have always done the best are the Jack-o-Lantern and Connectuct Field.

Two big problems, are that pumpkins need to be planted now to grow best and get biggest, and then you need a cool place to store them the rest of the summer so they make it till fall. I've seen alot of folks try and plant them, so there ready to have a "pumpkin patch" around Fall and it always fails. To hot here. The giant pumpkin varieties are alot harder to grow, and squash bugs tend to get after them. Just my experience. Cow or chicken manure and alot of organic material like straw/old hay, and some 13-13-13.
Awesome! I started some seed for a trial run so we will see what happens.

Im going to attempt a pumpkin patch as well.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #194
El General
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

I have never pruned blooms, but I do prune limbs especially when they are small.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #195
Cardinal
Eight Point

Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co.

Anyone have advice or input on trellis netting rather than the cattle panels?

Out of cattle panels at the moment, and have 100 feet of cucumbers and 100 feet of green beans planned. The Trellis netting is a lot cheaper but wasnt sure of a particular brand or material one may suggest.

Any advice on tomatillos? I assumed similar to tomatoes, have about 25 really nice plants I started this winter I'm ready to get in the ground...
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #196
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Anyone have advice or input on trellis netting rather than the cattle panels?

Out of cattle panels at the moment, and have 100 feet of cucumbers and 100 feet of green beans planned. The Trellis netting is a lot cheaper but wasnt sure of a particular brand or material one may suggest.

Any advice on tomatillos? I assumed similar to tomatoes, have about 25 really nice plants I started this winter I'm ready to get in the ground...
https://www.amazon.com/Netting-Bird-...23516462&psc=1

I use this to cover my chicken run, but it last. I think it's UV resistant. Seems like you could reuse it multiple years. To me be more cost effective if you didn't want to spend the $$ on cattle panels.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #197
JFFB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Pointe Coupee
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I have never pruned blooms, but I do prune limbs especially when they are small.
Prune the low limbs and pick all the suckers off till there about 3' foot tall then let them go. I all ways put about a 1/2 cup of fertilizer about 8" below each plant when planting and when they start taking they will shoot up.
JFFB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #198
12ring
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default Tilled.

Tilled up a "square" for squash and zucchini, plus several rows for okra. Grandkids tend it. I do it down in the pasture just to give them an excuse to go play, lol.

Prob throw some melons and lopes out too!
Name:  20210325_125454.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  73.7 KB
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #199
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

We have dodged all the major thunder/wind storms so far! Praise God!! Got 2 perfect rains after planting and everything is looking real healthy... Watching for the corn n peas to erupt any day now. Got the Benelli ready by the back door for the dang crows... They always hit the corn, peas n okra soon as it starts coming up... they pull up the plant and get the kernel off of it... If I can catch 'em when they first come in and blast a few of 'em, that usually keeps them away until the corn gets big enough they can't hurt it... They don't like to see their buddies hangin' on the fence...

Real late with taters... couldn't find any "seed taters" so made my own out of a couple sacks of red russetts from HEB... chitting them now. Hope to get them in the ground Saturday... Fingers crossed and asked the Lord as nicely as I know how to hold off on the rain just a bit more...
Old 03-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #200
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

Quote:
We have dodged all the major thunder/wind storms so far! Praise God!! Got 2 perfect rains after planting and everything is looking real healthy... Watching for the corn n peas to erupt any day now. Got the Benelli ready by the back door for the dang crows... They always hit the corn, peas n okra soon as it starts coming up... they pull up the plant and get the kernel off of it... If I can catch 'em when they first come in and blast a few of 'em, that usually keeps them away until the corn gets big enough they can't hurt it... They don't like to see their buddies hangin' on the fence...

Real late with taters... couldn't find any "seed taters" so made my own out of a couple sacks of red russetts from HEB... chitting them now. Hope to get them in the ground Saturday... Fingers crossed and asked the Lord as nicely as I know how to hold off on the rain just a bit more...

I tried store bought potatoes a few times. Never did very well. Recently I read they are sprayed with a sprout preventative to keep them from growing sprouts on the shelf. Also seems they rot easier because the skin isnt thick like a seed potato.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top