Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #51
Joe H
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1187 View Post
Glad to see this! The wife and I are gonna put our first garden in this year. Our kiddos love all kinds of vegetables so itíll be fun to watch them help grow and then enjoy them...beats them being inside!! My questions...looking at a 12íx12í area, water access is easy and donít have to worry about deer as we donít have many where Iím located. Realistically, how many different vegetables can we grow? Do we start with seedlings or direct? Seems like less variety on seedlings. Looking to do the some of the most common (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, maybe some cantaloupe, etc) but donít want to plant too much and over crowd.

Getting the soil tested and plan to get things turned over once we dry up a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to getting the kids involved
Plant only items you will eat. Forget most vining plants like cucumbers and melons. I wouldn't plant things that are really cheap at the store.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #52
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Glad to see this! The wife and I are gonna put our first garden in this year. Our kiddos love all kinds of vegetables so it’ll be fun to watch them help grow and then enjoy them...beats them being inside!! My questions...looking at a 12’x12’ area, water access is easy and don’t have to worry about deer as we don’t have many where I’m located. Realistically, how many different vegetables can we grow? Do we start with seedlings or direct? Seems like less variety on seedlings. Looking to do the some of the most common (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, maybe some cantaloupe, etc) but don’t want to plant too much and over crowd.

Getting the soil tested and plan to get things turned over once we dry up a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to getting the kids involved
Buy seedlings for tomatoes and peppers. The rest of what you have on that list can be planted from seed. You will need to trellis peas and beans. All the seed packets will tell you how far apart to plant. Tomatoes will need cages. Check your average last frost date for your area to plant.

Also, consider how you are going to get into your garden to weed and pick. You don't want to be stepping on your plants. I'd make it a raised bed so your soil will drain. You can raise it with cinder blocks or with stakes and 2x6 or 2x12. We have a 5'x20' garden with cinder blocks at a community garden, so I didn't get to choose height or how to put it in. If I had to do it now, I would do a 2x12 all the way around with a 2x4 on top to sit on.

Last edited by El General; 01-11-2021 at 05:06 PM.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #53
Mike1187
Eight Point

Thanks fellas...definitely only planning to plant what we eat and what we normally buy weekly at the store. The ‘last frost’ date for my area seems to be around mid-March from what I’ve read so that looks to be the plan.

Not looking to have raised beds, got plenty of room to put it in the ground. Got a some clay so I was planning to mix a little sand in when I first start breaking the ground.
Mike1187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #54
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Glad to see this! The wife and I are gonna put our first garden in this year. Our kiddos love all kinds of vegetables so itíll be fun to watch them help grow and then enjoy them...beats them being inside!! My questions...looking at a 12íx12í area, water access is easy and donít have to worry about deer as we donít have many where Iím located. Realistically, how many different vegetables can we grow? Do we start with seedlings or direct? Seems like less variety on seedlings. Looking to do the some of the most common (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, maybe some cantaloupe, etc) but donít want to plant too much and over crowd.

Look up "Square Foot Gardening" and it will tell you EXACTLY how many of each of those you can cram into 12x12 to get the most yield.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #55
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

To those that plant potatoes,
How do you do it?
Planting one potato will yield how many potatoes?

I read chew or smart did barrell cucumbers so ill try that and barrel watermelons just for giggles.
As you can see we plant a little bit of everything around our place.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #56
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Thanks, sheíll be 3 this spring and wasnít impressed with my garden this year. Every day we had to go down to the corner and watch the bees. Iím also looking at Columbine, bridal wreath spirea and fragrant mimosa

If you have a septic system, keep that mimosa FAR away from it. Those suckers have roots like fine hair and will completely destroy your septic system, conventional or aerobic...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #57
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
To those that plant potatoes,
How do you do it?
Planting one potato will yield how many potatoes?

I read chew or smart did barrell cucumbers so ill try that and barrel watermelons just for giggles.
As you can see we plant a little bit of everything around our place.
I take my seed potatoes and cut them up making sure each piece has at least one eye. I then let them dry several days to avoid rot, plant them 4-5Ē deep, about a foot apart. When plants sprout, I hill them. Sometimes I hill them 2-3 times, covering plant. The more you pile dirt on the plant, the more potatoes it makes. Potatoes and onions love nitrogen. As far as cucumbers, I always trellis. My rows are app. 70í long.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #58
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I take my seed potatoes and cut them up making sure each piece has at least one eye. I then let them dry several days to avoid rot, plant them 4-5Ē deep, about a foot apart. When plants sprout, I hill them. Sometimes I hill them 2-3 times, covering plant. The more you pile dirt on the plant, the more potatoes it makes. Potatoes and onions love nitrogen. As far as cucumbers, I always trellis. My rows are app. 70í long.
I have no problems growing onions or garlic.
Have tons of wild onions on my place.
Cukes I did pickling and salad varieties last year.
Boy oh boy were they prolific
I also trellises the cukes.
I'm only doing the barrel style to try this hydro method.

Just left home depot and they have a few lettuces out so I guess thats what will go in the garden this weekend.
A tray of romaine.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #59
Mike1187
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Look up "Square Foot Gardening" and it will tell you EXACTLY how many of each of those you can cram into 12x12 to get the most yield.
Thank you sir!! This definitely helps.

Got some work done this weekend, couldnít ask for better weather. My 12x12í footprint grew a little. Come on planting season.
Attached Images

Mike1187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #60
rocky
Pope & Young

Put 700 onions in the ground today. Will have to get two more bunches to finish out a row tomorrow. 800 onions. My ground is very wet, and forecast for this week is rain, as in everyday.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #61
Bowdark
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas swamps to Teton County

Bkmk.
Bowdark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #62
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

A little late to the party this year!
I started my Tomatoes a few days ago.
San Marzano's, Cherokee Purple and Brandywine.
Serrano peppers got started too.
I'll direct sow my cucumbers and squash in March. Okra after that.
As far as still growing, only the asparagus in the raised beds, as it's time to rebuild the boxes.
I bought kits from Sam's that use composite boards for a lot cheaper than wooden boards. Those should last a lot longer than me!
I still have couple of Carolina Reapers in buckets that I move into the shop to protect them from freezing temps.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #63
doublearrow
Ten Point

Planted 600 pepper plants 2 weeks ago. Will be planting 900 tomato plants on saturday.
Attached Images

doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #64
Etxnoodler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
Planted 600 pepper plants 2 weeks ago. Will be planting 900 tomato plants on saturday.
What light setup are you using?
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #65
East6101
Four Point

Love these threads always tons of info! After reading looks like we need to get started!
East6101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #66
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
What light setup are you using?
They are antelux 4 foot lights off Amazon. I didnt know what all I needed last year but have not had any issues out of them. They keep the seedlings going and kept hydroponic garden alive all winter indoors with no other light.

Last edited by doublearrow; 01-26-2021 at 08:49 PM.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 01:26 PM   #67
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Good afternoon. I have a couple of questions. The last three years we have been gardening raised beds and a couple of small plots directly behind the house. This year is I am wanting to expand it quite a bit. I am getting a 5’ rotary tiller for my tractor next week. I have the room across the pasture and was curious if anyone plants their rows far enough apart to get their tractor between the rows to keep it tilled and the weeds out? Any pics would be appreciated. Yes I know it will be wasted space.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 01:31 PM   #68
Man
Pope & Young

I sure wish there was something that grew just as easy as radish's that tasted better and offered more cooking options.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:11 PM   #69
Man
Pope & Young

Has anyone tried Jerusalem Artichokes before? Been reading a lot about them over the past couple years. Both ease of growing and great taste. Thinking about adding that to the new experiment list for this season.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:16 PM   #70
BiggsWife
Six Point

Hunt In: Bell, Milam, Maverick

I started some carrots, cilantro and peppers yesterday. Plan on starting some snap peas and tomatoes soon. This is our first year to really try at gardening, and because we plan on moving in a few months(), Iím doing stuff in containers so it wonít be that much. I wouldnít dare leave my tomatoes behind!

Peppers: jalapeŮo, big Jim chiliís, banana peppers, sweet red Marconi

Tomatoes: thorburnís terra-cotta, big daddy, and blue berry cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BiggsWife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #71
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default 2021 Gardening Thread

I got destroyed by deer last year so I built this!

One question. I thought I was being smart and put two flakes of coastal hay across the whole bottom. 3 bales worth. The idea was to save me money on dirt and the hay would break down over time and provide nutrients and organic matter into the soil. Everyone online is growing in ďstraw balesĒ. Supposedly the use of herbicides arenít allowed in the production of wheat.

Research has led me to believe that I need to dig the hay out. There is a chance that the hay was treated with herbicides that are still present and will leech into my soil and end up killing my vegetables.

Have you guys ever dealt with this? Supposedly itís the main reason youíre not supposed to use horse manure.

I was gonna top the bed off with the last yard of soil mix today but was considering digging the hay out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by FLASH_OUTDOORS; 02-06-2021 at 08:47 AM.
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #72
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

One question. I thought I was being smart and put two flakes of coastal hay across the whole bottom. 3 bales worth. The idea was to save me money on dirt and the hay would break down over time and provide nutrients and organic matter into the soil. Everyone online is growing in ďstraw balesĒ. Supposedly the use of herbicides arenít allowed in the production of wheat.

Research has led me to believe that I need to dig the hay out. There is a chance that the hay was treated with herbicides that are still present and will leech into my soil and end up killing my vegetables.

Have you guys ever dealt with this? Supposedly itís the main reason youíre not supposed to use horse manure.

I was gonna top the bed off with the last yard of soil mix today but was considering digging the hay out first.

I couldnt imagine there would still be enough active herbicide in dried hay to continue to kill this upcoming growing season. But if worried, pull out and replace with wood chips or forest floor material if your looking for "filler"
Old 02-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #73
Joe H
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

If the hay was treated with grazon p+d it will have residual. I have tons of hay around my hayrings that would be excellent but I won't use it. I buy alfalfa and use that.

Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #74
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
If the hay was treated with grazon p+d it will have residual. I have tons of hay around my hayrings that would be excellent but I won't use it. I buy alfalfa and use that.

He said cimmeron

Old 02-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #75
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Online says itís effective for 4-6weeks after application

Old 02-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #76
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Well I got all the hay dug out. Got the new soil in and cow and chicken manure worked into the top 3Ē of soil. Gonna water this and let it marinade until after this cold crap this week and then plant......screw it.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #77
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Ordered my chile seeds last week and get them this week.
Spring is May up here and planting for most is in June so seeds get started in a month or so.
Raised beds for me at home and a small garden plot up at the ranch, deer love it too.
Garlic and shallots will go in when I can get into the thawed ground in my beds.

I use some cooleroo fabric for a wind break on my beds, nice looking set up Flash. I also put chicken wire on top to help with hail and squirrels.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #78
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
A cloning/seedling station is my next project. I have been looking at lighting. Probably gonna go with LEDs.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #79
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Quote:
I sure wish there was something that grew just as easy as radish's that tasted better and offered more cooking options.
What about rutabaga? I like them a lot better that radish. They are a similar plant that taste completely different.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #80
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
What about rutabaga? I like them a lot better that radish. They are a similar plant that taste completely different.

That or even regular old purple top turnip greens... you can eat the tops and the bottoms of those... The turnips can have a bit of bite to them like a radish too!
Old 02-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #81
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well we have our fingers crossed this year that we may actually have a garden... been 2 years since we were able to produce anything really... Last 2 years were pretty much wash-outs because of rain...
Last Thursday, when I got home from work, I jumped on the tractor and turned my wife's garden plot (much reduced from previous years) over again (for the second time in the last few weeks). The ground was wet but it looked and smelled wonderful... before I got the tractor back in the barn, danged if it wasn't raining again!! It will get turned again this week before the weekend polar blast. That fresh dirt freezing a bit will also help with grass/weed control, Then hopefully the weekend after that, maybe we'll get some taters n early stuff in the ground...

Y'all join us in praying for rain this year in the proper amounts at the proper times for all our gardens (and food plots)!!

Name:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0640.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  178.2 KB
Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #82
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Regular old purple top turnip greens... you can eat the tops and the bottoms of those.
Thanks will give them a shot.. probably more so for the tops than the bottoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Never had one. Will have to swing to Krogers and purchase and see what it taste like. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #83
El General
Ten Point

Quote:
We grew these Japanese Mikado Turnips this year. They are milder and a little sweeter than standard purple tops. The greens are just as good.

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...20in%20minutes.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #84
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Ordered my chile seeds last week and get them this week.
Spring is May up here and planting for most is in June so seeds get started in a month or so.
Raised beds for me at home and a small garden plot up at the ranch, deer love it too.
Garlic and shallots will go in when I can get into the thawed ground in my beds.

I use some cooleroo fabric for a wind break on my beds, nice looking set up Flash. I also put chicken wire on top to help with hail and squirrels.

Thank you sir!

Old 02-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #85
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Anyone ever plant and grow Bok Choy successfully in southeast Texas? Been getting it fresh from the grocery store for various recipes... I like it better than regular cabbage, but never grew any... Would appreciate any experiences/feedback anyone may have.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #86
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

First batch of seeds just arrived.
Going to try these new Rattlesnake Hatch chiles this year along with my jalapenos, Numex R Naky, cajohns jumbo serrano and some Numex 6-4s.

Got my rattlesnake seeds cheaper than this site though.
https://www.superhotchiles.com/produ...-pepper-seeds/
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #87
El General
Ten Point

Quote:
Anyone ever plant and grow Bok Choy successfully in southeast Texas? Been getting it fresh from the grocery store for various recipes... I like it better than regular cabbage, but never grew any... Would appreciate any experiences/feedback anyone may have.
I have never grown it, but my neighbor at the community garden grows it. It should do fine anywhere in SE Texas.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #88
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
I grow it every year with zero issues here in the southeast. I always just get the starters at Home Depot (Bonnies). Very little care needed.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #89
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
I grow it every year with zero issues here in the southeast. I always just get the starters at Home Depot (Bonnies). Very little care needed.

WOW!! You could make a whole pot of soup with one stalk of that stuff!! Is it still tender when it gets that big?

I gotta do this!
Old 02-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #90
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
WOW!! Is it still tender when it gets that big?
Yup...just cook it tad bit longer
Old 02-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #91
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
I think Bobby had some going last year. Im going to try a couple plants this year if I can find them.
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 09:38 PM   #92
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
I think Bobby had some going last year. Im going to try a couple plants this year if I can find them.
Bobby?
Old 02-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #93
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Bobby?
Chew.
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #94
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Got drip irrigation installed. Waiting in timer to come in!

Old 02-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #95
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
We grew these Japanese Mikado Turnips this year. They are milder and a little sweeter than standard purple tops. The greens are just as good.

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...20in%20minutes.
Thanks just ordered some!
Old 02-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #96
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

We bought this property dec 2019, put round 1 of fruit trees in feb 2020. Round 2 of Fruit trees and berries arrived last week, they are now all in the ground or in pots. Full list below.

Garden veggies started indoors and looks like it's going to be a big production year.

Laid out the garden perimeter this year, appx 100 foot by 70 foot. Not a true rectangle but close enough for planning purposes. 10 rows, ranging from 30-60 foot long each.
2021 additions
Lady Williams Apple
Pink Pearl Apple
Sweet Pomegranate
Snow Queen Nectarine
Sugarcane Jujube
Lakemont Grape
Reka Blueberry
Jersey Blueberry
Chandler Blueberry
Primus White Currant
Black Velvet Gooseberry
Poorman Gooseberry
Issai Hardy Kiwi
Goji Berry
Brown Turkey

Governor Wood Sweet Cherry
Jonathan Apple
Redhaven Peach
Santa Rosa Plum
Seckel Pear
and White Pearmain Apple
Attached Images

topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #97
eradicator
Pope & Young

I planted a Redhaven peach tree last year as well. Very good fruit!
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #98
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks just ordered some!
"Due to high volume it will take 4 weeks to process order"
I just ordered a $3 packet of seeds? Can't they just send little Jimmy to the turnip packet bin and grab a pack? Ok thats my old man rant for the week. Setting high expectations for these turnips now
Old 02-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #99
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
"Due to high volume it will take 4 weeks to process order"
I just ordered a $3 packet of seeds? Can't they just send little Jimmy to the turnip packet bin and grab a pack? Ok thats my old man rant for the week. Setting high expectations for these turnips now
Go to your local feed store, or Lowe's... They'll have those Asian seeds and the purple tops... I like the purple tops the best myself, and second the rutabagas... Purple tops are a lot like giant radishes and the rutabagas are real sweet... both can get BIG!
Old 02-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #100
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Go to your local feed store, or Lowe's... They'll have those Asian seeds and the purple tops... I like the purple tops the best myself, and second the rutabagas... Purple tops are a lot like giant radishes and the rutabagas are real sweet... both can get BIG!
Will do, that was my plan to try both those per your previous comments....just gonna wait for this weekends nipple perker to push on through.