Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 11-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
on-a-mission
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, Real County
Default Wing Archery Presentation ll

My SIL gave me this bow when her husband passed away a year and a half ago.
I put it in the closet and really didn't think much of it. I was cleaning the closet last weekend and came across it again and got to looking at it and wondering if it is of any value? What do you guys think.
It's a Wing Archery Presentation ll 70", 36# matching limbs SN H-2-397
Any comments, as to finding out if it can be restrung and shot. How can I tell if the limbs are still good, etc.

Thanks
Greg
Attached Images

on-a-mission is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
on-a-mission
Ten Point

More pics
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Night Wing
Ten Point

It's a classic target archery bow. A wonderful find.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Draco
Pope & Young

I would think it would be fine to shoot. I have a friend that hunts with a Wing that is older than that.
Draco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

That's a good lookin' bow.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
CaptJack
Ten Point

Hunt In: public

around $200 - I have a bunch of them around here

CaptJack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
CaptJack
Ten Point

brightened up you pics

Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
CaptJack
Ten Point

BTW- that would make a GREAT 3-D target bow
Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
on-a-mission
Ten Point

Good info CaptJack !!!!

I see there are hunter limbs, are these limbs still available? It would be interesting trying to hunt with one of these. I would really like to find someone in my area (Kingwood,Humble, Porter) that has knowledge about these and try my skills (or lack thereof) at one of these. I think they are really neat.

Greg
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
CaptJack
Ten Point

Wing Archery was owned by Bob Lee - Bob Lee bows now, up in Jacksonville. Bob is still alive, in his 80s - shop is run by his son Rob.

Bob sold Wing in 1968 and it eventually closed in the early 80s. The P-IIs went out of production around 1970.

The only hunter P-II limbs around are used on the trad archery classified boards and sometimes on eBay.

The short black handle with the target limbs in the pics above is what the bow that Mike Palmer won the National Championship with - looked like in 1968.

I grew up a few blocks from Wing Archery, in Bellaire in the 60s. I was a kid on a bicycle riding up to Wing to watch Bob build bows - great days !!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
bubinga
Ten Point

Do not listen to these guys, those bows are very dangerous and can take out your entire family. For the safety of you and your family send the bow to me immediately and I will dispose of it!
bubinga is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

Sooooooooo CaptJack, you obviously have a thing for Wing bows, so do I!!!! That Pro Slim Line hunter is a nice bow!! Wish I still had one.
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
CaptJack
Ten Point

Doc - growing up in archery in Houston and at Buffalo Field Archery Club - Bob Lee was GOD !!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

I know that's right!!! You have some beautiful bows!! I'm jealous!!!
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
Texas5o
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I have an old Wing Thunderbird; all black micarda (sp.). I was told it was made in '62 but I have no way to confirm or deny that.
I bowhunted with that bow for a year or two before I started shooting Sarrels' bows. Killed a few deer with it, but it's very heavy and not very quiet to shoot.
Texas5o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Hoof
Six Point

Beautiful bow! It should be a sweet shooter, good luck with it!
Hoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
CaptJack
Ten Point

Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
kestimator
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where the fun and adventure is :)

CaptJack,

What type of string do you prefer on your Wing Bows? I've been shooting a little Red Wing Hunter for a while with the linen strings that came with it. Are there better choices for these old bows?

BTW, I shoot FF on my "modern" longbows.

Thanks,
Kevin
kestimator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
CaptJack
Ten Point

Bob always made us use B-50 Dacron, continuous loop strings - all I would shoot on an old Wing.
It wasn't until just a few years ago that his son Rob made him change his mind and set his bows up for Flemish fast-flight strings.

This was one of the issues between Palmer and Bob when they had Partners bows. Palmer's point is that fast flight strings increase fps and when you are building cutting edge recurves to maximize performance you can't live in the 50s. - also why Palmer has double carbon laminates in his limbs and the Lees don't.

If you take a 64" 50# Palmer and a 64" 50# Bob Lee (almost identical in appearance) and shoot them through a chronograph, Palmer's bow will be at least 15~20 fps faster than the Lee.

When we were growing up the only limbs on the market that were as smooth as Wing were the Hoyt (a little snappy) and the BlackWidow (WilsonBros) (all Bear bows STACK!)

I have a quandary - Mike built my handle and Bob built my limbs - it is super smooth but a lot slower than Mike's new limbs (it does have a Flemish fast-flight string)

also to add - Palmer was all over carbon arrows when they came out - as Mike says - "it's either straight or it's broken" - and was adding home-made tube weights to them long before anyone else had even heard of it - and as soon as he had set up his new shop in
Sabinal was experimenting with carbon laminates in his limbs.

Since Bob Lee bows, Palmer bows and Quinn bows (we were all in the same archery club together, and close friends with Earle Bateman) are all cut past center and have full sight windows, they are very easy to tune many different weight arrows. And especially the Quinn Stallion since it is designed to be shot off of an elevated rest with a plunger button, as well as off of it's radiused shelf.

The other thing to note is that both Lee's & Palmer's bows are two bolts per limb (I wish David had done that on the Quinns) There is no harmonic vibration because the limbs are locked down. All single bolt limbs have harmonic vibration and on the Stallion with the metal handle, makes it louder and harder to get quiet. Palmer and Lee bows a dead in your hand and really quiet !!

Last edited by CaptJack; 12-06-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
kestimator
Eight Point

Thanks CaptJack! I think I'll order some strings from 3R tonight. What's the deal with the linen strings? Was that older technology? The ones that I have came in a Wing package along with the bow.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
CaptJack
Ten Point

I don't think they're linen - probably Dacron
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
kestimator
Eight Point

CaptJack,

Went in the garage and found the last string, still in the package. It is in fact Double Looped Dacron. The Brand is K&B Company, out of San Angelo. It has green serving and the white string looks just like the one on my bow, except its serving on that one is red. I wish that I'd saved the package for the "red" one, as I'm pretty sure (was real sure before this morning ) that it was labeled "Wing" and said "linen" in the description. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your wealth of Wing knowledge

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Unk Bond
Four Point

Hello All
The first Wing I own was a P II. a friend of mine won it in a bow raffle. And sold it to me for $150.

All my composition was shot and won with that bow. It served me well.Tried the Hoyt's. But the bow grip was small .And led me to far into the bow grip.

I also have several PII bows. And the last one I acquired had a short riser.Like the ones you show in your picture. Its also black.

Now to my long a waited question, for you. Since I have search quiet awhile on this riser. Are all of your short riser bows . Are all wood.

Reason I ask mine doesn't seem to be wood. So to my next question . Did they sand cast a riser the same shape as the short riser you show pictures of. Or a fiberglass version.
Thanks [ Later
Unk Bond is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #24
Draco
Pope & Young

Your bow may be a CII and not a PII. It had a metal riser and the limbs slide into the handle on dove tail rails into the dove tail grooves in the metal handle.I owned a CII and hunted with it for years. I traded it for a pair of Zeiss binoculars. Even though the binos were worth way more than the Wing, I still wish I hadn't done it. It was 59# and the smoothest bow I've evrowned.
Draco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Unk Bond
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Your bow may be a CII and not a PII. It had a metal riser and the limbs slide into the handle on dove tail rails into the dove tail grooves in the metal handle.I owned a CII and hunted with it for years. I traded it for a pair of Zeiss binoculars. Even though the binos were worth way more than the Wing, I still wish I hadn't done it. It was 59# and the smoothest bow I've evrowned.

Hello
Thanks for your reply.
The limbs bolt on, as the other 4 PII's I have. The limb cut out is the same also. Will try to get a pic posted.[ Later
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
Unk Bond
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post

Hello
Thanks for your reply.
The limbs bolt on, as the other 4 PII's I have. The limb cut out is the same also. [ Later
Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #27
CaptJack
Ten Point

to know: the sold black on some of the Wing bows is a 'phenolic' plastic material
it is heavier than wood and adds mass to the weight of the bow
the short riser P-II in the pic above is sold phenolic
Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
Unk Bond
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJack View Post
to know: the sold black on some of the Wing bows is a 'phenolic' plastic material
=====================

Hello CaptJack and All
Sorry for the double post above. My young timers must have kicked in. .

And now I know. Appreciate your input here to Clair-fly the product used. Been trying to chase the ends and outs of this short end P II riser for a spell.

Now in my search, and talking to a well know-ed bow builder. My question to him. Why have the one end of the riser shorter.
He stated, it had to do with the bow grip location. And by having one end shorter .
It now made the bottom bow limb weaker. And intern allowed for the bow to be in a more vertical position. At aim and casting of the arrow. Again thanks. Later
Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #29
pipcount
Nubbin' Buck

Default Looking for Wing Preso II

Fellows, I know this is an old thread getting resurrected, appreciate your patience with me on it.

I have been a member here a while, but dont post much. Live in NW Houston, shoot at the range nearby.

I am in search of a wing preso II riser handle like at start of this thread. Anyone has one, please let me know.

I tried a private message to thread owner, but have too few posts to enable I think... could not get it working.

Thank you, Greg (different Greg than original poster..)
pipcount is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #30
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

He hasn't posted anything since 2019.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJack View Post

Maybe this fellas would have more of a lead.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #32
pipcount
Nubbin' Buck

Default Too few posts to Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Maybe this fellas would have more of a lead.

Yes, you are sure right.. but I have too few posts to message and hate to be a "troll"..
Old 05-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #33
AJ the TP Guru
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lexington/Elgin

I bought a 1967 Wing Presentation II last month on ebay for $225. Well, with tax, shipping, and warranty, $300 (yes, square2 did warranty this 54 yr old bow for two years!).

I'm loving shooting it in the backyard, and I don't shoot tournaments anymore. I only wish I could figure out what to use to polish the scratches on the riser.

Btw, I was only a teenager when Wing first introduced the Presentation, and I was lucky enough to draw their prototype. Smoothest bow I ever pulled to this day!

I think your bow is a 1966 model. You can find it here.
AJ the TP Guru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #34
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Used to have a Wing compound. ****ed I’m old!
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #35
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipcount View Post
Yes, you are sure right.. but I have too few posts to message and hate to be a "troll"..
I sent him a private message.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #36
pipcount
Nubbin' Buck

Default ISO Wing Presentation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I sent him a private message.

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #37
pipcount
Nubbin' Buck

@AJ- thanks for note. I have two of these fine bows now, one phenolic, one all rosewood. Looking to get a combo phenolic and rosewood handle to round out the set.

While not the fastest bows in my portfolio, they shoot exceptionally well. And, with all the mass in handle and good limbs, dead in hand. Quite fun! I plan to take to a 3D shoot at the houston club someday. That aught to provoke some interest.

I picked up an old Wing Presentation I recently, in mail to me know. I love Wing bows.

I am mainly shooting at Spring Creek Park as so close and so nice. We are starting to get a nice group of trad shooters out there now, noone is a great shooter (including myself,) but all nice folks. Good days on Saturday mornings. Come by if in area and shoot longbows or recurves! We sometimes BBQ, bring some food and join us.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #38
AJ the TP Guru
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lexington/Elgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipcount View Post

I am mainly shooting at Spring Creek Park as so close and so nice. We are starting to get a nice group of trad shooters out there now, noone is a great shooter (including myself,) but all nice folks. Good days on Saturday mornings. Come by if in area and shoot longbows or recurves! We sometimes BBQ, bring some food and join us.
Tell me where in the park you shoot, and I may well show up some Sat morning. What time do you guys typically get started?
AJ the TP Guru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #39
pipcount
Nubbin' Buck

AJ- If you enter park from the East side on Brown road, turn right (N) at first stop sign, go on down about 1/2 mile and range is on the East side of road. Basically range is in North part of park. If you go to far you will simply go around a small loop and head on back.. keep looking.

Out this weekend, will have some spare sausage if you wish to join our BBQ. One of boys is graduating from high school so we will also have a brief "party."

If anyone has contact information for Captain Jack in this thread, and would kindly let him know of my interest in a Wing Presentation takedown, it would be appreciated.
Greg
Old 05-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #40
pipcount
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone reading this- Capt Jack reached me, but no longer had the Wing Presentation II bows.. so if you come across a nice wood and micarta riser or the two tone wood version, please keep me in mind.

Thanks to all the vets, and particularly the families of our fallen soldiers on this Memorial Day.