Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora
Default Does your kid mow the grass????

Like the title says.....Do your kids mow your grass? If so do you pay them and if so how much do you pay for how big of yard?

We have 3 acres and I'd say about half is mowable so around 1.5 acres of grass to cut. My son started helping to mow around 8 and is 11 now and can do it on his own including airing up low tires and checking oil before he starts. Its a zero turn and he does a good job, very rarely do I have to point out any missed spots. He also blows off the drive, porches, and sidewalk. I've been giving him $20 for his work. Just curious what others are paying for similar job.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Wife pays the kiddo (and previously his older brothers) to mow our regular neighborhood yard $20. When I have/had them do it I don't pay and I reference room and board and lack of them paying me rent. In both cases they'd usually half-*** the first mow of the year and I make them go back out and fix it, then future attempts are much better. They learned to jump real quick when the wife offers to pay them because if they don't I'm just gonna make them do it for free when it hits my radar.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
ATX Tyler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central, TX

Me as a kid...
Attached Images

ATX Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
BRust
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

Yes both of my daughters 14 & 17 help mow the yard. No we don’t pay them. I figure all that we buy/do for them thy is the least they can do is my philosophy.
BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

I run the weed eater the boy pushes the mower. We have him set up with a Greenlight card and I'll throw him 15 bucks for helping out.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I never got paid and didn’t expect to. When my boy starts mowing it he won’t get paid either.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Our kids do a variety of chores for their allowance, which is $5/wk. clean/brush the pool, mow, dust, vacuum, bathrooms, their laundry, etc. Each of my boys has taken a shift at mowing the front yard (backyard is landscaped and unmowable). If we were to break down their chores, each mow would come out to about $1.50-$2.00. Both first mowed at the age of 10 with close parent supervision, but now at 13/14, it’s more of a “get your butt out there and mow the grass” kind of thing.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Tyler View Post
Me as a kid...

My thoughts exactly lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

My girls are still too young. As a kid I mowed for free, but not all the time because my mom really enjoyed doing it.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #10
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Son did until he went to college. Never moved back home He did it reluctantly cause we didn't pay him. Cited the old room board, it's family stuff, we gotta help each other out. Daughter got a free pass due to she's a girl. So Momma helped with yard stuff (still does) but Jess would still volunteer on occasion.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #11
AndyMane
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora Tx

A simple chore like mowing, no. Going above and beyond like pressure washing, cleaning gutters or painting the fence sure. Teaches them that if they want more than everybody else they have to do more than everybody else.
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #12
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

my Son started when he was old enough to reach the pedals on the riding mower, we had 2 acres then. i would weed eat and he would mow
never paid him, as my thought was/is danged if i am going to be outside sweating my b, butt off while he is inside playing games.... place to live, cell phone and the rest... the strong work ethics start at home IMO!!
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
12ring
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.

6 acres. Mow bout 1ac w z-turn, rest w tractor.
35 yo son at home. He** no I don't pay him! Well.... actually I do.
Rent, food, kids keep, etc....

So..... bout $1k / hr !!!
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
DKirk
Ten Point

My boy started mowing our front yard a year or so ago and I’d mow the back. Neighbor saw him and now he gets $20 to mow there’s. This was with a push mower I’ve since upgraded to a zero turn so the deal is for him to use it he has to mow our whole yard. I still do the edging and weed eating but about to learn him on that.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
I run the weed eater the boy pushes the mower. We have him set up with a Greenlight card and I'll throw him 15 bucks for helping out.

Same here. He mows and I weedeat. We take turns on the blower. We do not pay directly but when we head to the lease or fishing I may buy him something he wanted.

What is a green light card.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #16
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

My kids mowed and did other work around the house and my office when they were growing up. I paid them. I also made sure that they gave at least 10% of what they earned to the church and that they saved at least 10% of what they earned. I would match everything that they saved. They could save more than 10% if they chose to, or they could spend all 80% remaining as soon as I paid them. It was their choice. My goal was to help them learn how to earn money and how to manage it responsibly.

They're both financial advisors today, so maybe it worked.

Also, when they were teenagers, they NEVER came and asked me for money. If they ever needed more money, they'd come and ask my wife or I if we had any work that they could do to earn some more money. That worked out pretty well. If we ever had stuff we didn't want to do, we'd pay them to do it. Win/win.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

My dadís response when I asked for an allowance to mow when I was a kid.......ĒGet out there and mow the mother ****ing yard before I put both my boots up your ***.Ē.

I donít pay my kids directly for mowing the yard, but they receive plenty for as little as they actually have to do.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

My kids played so much baseball it was hard for them to have jobs to make spending money so I let them mow the yard each week around their baseball schedule. I paid them a little less than what I would pay someone else to mow it. I explained that other guy was providing his own equipment so he to recover some of that in the price for each yard he mowed. They started understanding about revenue and income at and early age, lol.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #19
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

No, cause he cant mow for sheet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so he weed eats and I run the Ztr
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #20
tradman
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson

I pay my son $20 to mow our yard, but he very loosely runs a "lawn service" for people in the neighborhood. It has picked up over the years and I like the work ethic that he is picking up. I also make him do his own negotiations with potential customers which I also believe is an excellent thing to learn.

My proudest moment as his parent though was when a nearly 80 year old man asked him about mowing. He went down and checked out the yard, went into negotiations and charged the man half his usual rate. When I asked him why he told me that he didn't feel right charging the elderly man that much money, and he was afraid that if he priced the yard too high he wouldn't use him and continue to mow the yard himself. He said he wouldn't feel right watching that man mow his own yard at that age.
tradman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #21
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I did most of the mowing by the time I was 8 or so, dad usually ran the weedeater. He had 2 acres, 1/2 of which he insisted on fertilizing/watering incessantly....and required that it be push mowed and bagged. The rest we mowed with the tractor or riding mower. I got an allowance when I wasn't in trouble, it was like $20 a week for mowing, picking the garden, taking care of the dog, cleaning my room, and whatever other mindless bull**** my mom could dream up to occupy my time. Dad would pay me for helping plant shrubs, did up dead shrubs, clearing out the fenceline, or cleaning up behind the barn....sometimes an agreed upon amount, and sometimes whatever he wanted.

I went to work at the family business when I was 11 and got a little too independent about my home chores, so then the boat didn't leave the barn until the yard was done, so the yard got done!

My son is going to get his first electric weedeater today or tomorrow!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Me as a kid...
AMEN!! Biggest problem with kids nowdays no ***** whoopings and lack of work ethic.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #23
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Me as a kid...
Yes sir!
I never got a red dime for a single chore in my life.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #24
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

push mower and a walk behind weed eater on 2 acres, then i let him drive the ranch truck on the county roads. he's 13
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #25
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Me as a kid...
This made me LOL because I love that movie!!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #26
Anythinghunter8
Eight Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

i mowed my mom and dads yard for free always and id mow my grand parents yard for free but they would always give me $5 dollars i mowed all 3 yards tell i was 22 then i moved away and it was not always easy getting down there to mow.
My parents did not pay but they looked out for me, i would never spend that money papa gave me i saved everything. When my kids get older i might give them $5 dollars or so to help out.
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #27
be12hunt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I will pay my kids $400 to mow our 3 acres with the zero turn.

I also charge them $395 each time they rent my zero turn.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #28
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Mine do, payment is good to eat, clean clothes and a comfy house to live in
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #29
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

He helped me. No pay.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #30
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Also, when they were teenagers, they NEVER came and asked me for money. If they ever needed more money, they'd come and ask my wife or I if we had any work that they could do to earn some more money. That worked out pretty well. If we ever had stuff we didn't want to do, we'd pay them to do it. Win/win.
Well he's only 11 but he already doesn't ask for me to buy him stuff other than birthday and Christmas. Just like your kid he will come ask for chores to do to earn money. To me, paying him for "work" and then him using his own earned money teaches way more than me not pay him but him always coming and asking me to buy him something. I know for me growing up it was the same. Every single thing I had growing up past the age of 12 was either a birthday or Christmas gift or something I bought with my own earnings. I feel like it taught me way more than just my parents making me do chores for "free" but then them buying me what I wanted.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #31
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
danged if i am going to be outside sweating my b, butt off while he is inside playing games.... the strong work ethics start at home IMO!!
This for sure. So many times I drive by houses of people I know have boys that are well old enough to mow (teenagers) and the mom or dad is outside mowing. Hell to the naw!!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #32
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Well he's only 11 but he already doesn't ask for me to buy him stuff other than birthday and Christmas. Just like your kid he will come ask for chores to do to earn money. To me, paying him for "work" and then him using his own earned money teaches way more than me not pay him but him always coming and asking me to buy him something. I know for me growing up it was the same. Every single thing I had growing up past the age of 12 was either a birthday or Christmas gift or something I bought with my own earnings. I feel like it taught me way more than just my parents making me do chores for "free" but then them buying me what I wanted.
This is how it is with my granddaughter. She gets birthday and Christmas gifts, the rest she earns. She is really good about saving for things. We do help with clothes though.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #33
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
This is how it is with my granddaughter. She gets birthday and Christmas gifts, the rest she earns. She is really good about saving for things. We do help with clothes though.
Yep, clothes, school supplies, the essentials we pay for. Games, toys, junk, its on him. I can't remember what it is he is currently saving for but he has saved all of his mowing money so far this year and has a pretty good little stash. I'm really proud of him.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #34
ColinR
Pope & Young

For those that don't pay anything how do you handle when they want a toy or game or want to go do stuff with there friends or something like that? Do you just buy it for them or ??????
Old 06-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #35
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Yep, clothes, school supplies, the essentials we pay for. Games, toys, junk, its on him. I can't remember what it is he is currently saving for but he has saved all of his mowing money so far this year and has a pretty good little stash. I'm really proud of him.
She has paid for her own gaming station, laptop and other things.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #36
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Yes they mow and all other yard chores as needed

Payment is all the crap they get on a daily basis...
DamonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #37
Collier
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I did most of the mowing by the time I was 8 or so, dad usually ran the weedeater. He had 2 acres, 1/2 of which he insisted on fertilizing/watering incessantly....and required that it be push mowed and bagged. The rest we mowed with the tractor or riding mower. I got an allowance when I wasn't in trouble, it was like $20 a week for mowing, picking the garden, taking care of the dog, cleaning my room, and whatever other mindless bull**** my mom could dream up to occupy my time. Dad would pay me for helping plant shrubs, did up dead shrubs, clearing out the fenceline, or cleaning up behind the barn....sometimes an agreed upon amount, and sometimes whatever he wanted.

I went to work at the family business when I was 11 and got a little too independent about my home chores, so then the boat didn't leave the barn until the yard was done, so the yard got done!

My son is going to get his first electric weedeater today or tomorrow!
Dale,
What brand are you going to get?
Collier is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #38
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Mine is 17 now so yes, he will help when he's around. I seem to find myself doing it more than I should since he's become more independent and has more going on. He actually mows several lawns on his own for money since he's playing high school club baseball all summer all over the freaking state and can't really work a normal job. As far a paying my kids, absolutely not. I have told both of them the food they eat, the clothes on their back, and the roof over their heads is their payment for what little they do around the house to help out. I'm not knocking them and they are great kids. If they want to earn money, they can go make it on their own, don't expect me to pay you for earning a tiny fraction of your keep.

*** All of this big talk from someone who bought them both nice vehicle's, pays the insurance, cell phones, pays for college, club baseball, and everything else they could want in life, lol. Mine are self admitted extremely spoiled/fortunate so I don't pay them to help around the house a little.

Last edited by rockyraider; 06-11-2021 at 02:02 PM.
rockyraider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #39
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default yard

I mowed 1.5 acres with a push mower that was a 22" cut and I never got paid nor did I expect to get paid!!!!!!!! I think working hard like this as a kid made me into the man I am today!!!!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! Kids need to learn to work and help out around the house, Parents do way to much nowadays IMO!!!!!!!!
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #40
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

I pay my 10 yr old son $20 to mow my yard. However, he has to do other chores around the house without payment.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #41
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
I mowed 1.5 acres with a push mower that was a 22" cut and I never got paid nor did I expect to get paid!!!!!!!! I think working hard like this as a kid made me into the man I am today!!!!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! Kids need to learn to work and help out around the house, Parents do way to much nowadays IMO!!!!!!!!
Snowflakes......
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #42
duke-86
Six Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Mine absolutely lives to mow!! JK
Attached Images

duke-86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #43
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
My kids played so much baseball it was hard for them to have jobs to make spending money so I let them mow the yard each week around their baseball schedule. I paid them a little less than what I would pay someone else to mow it. I explained that other guy was providing his own equipment so he to recover some of that in the price for each yard he mowed. They started understanding about revenue and income at and early age, lol.
I paid mine the same as other guys charged, but I told them it was their business and they had to buy their own gas and oil. I did let them use my mower for free. I wasn't that much of a hard ***. But I tried to teach them about running a small business. Either way works, I'm sure. Makes them think about where stuff comes from and how it's paid for.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #44
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke-86 View Post
Mine absolutely lives to mow!! JK
That's a good lesson..... Procrastination makes life harder. Should have got out there and mowed last week before it got so tall.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #45
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

[

What is a green light card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Green light is a debit card and app that I control and put money money on and can also shut down, review purchases etc. Made for kids.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #46
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collier View Post
Dale,
What brand are you going to get?
Just a basic little Ryobi to get him going.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #47
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
And just think!!!!!! About all the **** exclamation points you saved up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #48
c3products20
Six Point

He sure does!!!
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #49
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

My 2 princesses may break a nail or something...so it's just dad out there. But my woman will weed eat so that helps.
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #50
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Not yet

And they wonít get paid
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top