Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #1201
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

That is a TOAD! Very shocked he been in there 2 years and no signs of him on camera or camera pics prior to when you did.

Did he have nuts?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #1202
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default Spraying Around Trees

I sprayed around the trees this past weekend and was able to see that the grass is starting to show some signs of dying. I only used around 4oz per gallon so I was worried if I didn't use enough Round-Up but it appears that it should get the job done especially after it gets a little hotter.
Name:  Round Up (Large).jpg
Views: 301
Size:  326.1 KB
Now that we have seen 100% success rate so far, I think I'm going to purchase more of the Mexican Plum trees and do some testing. I was thinking about planting a handful in areas without tree tubes but protect them with cedar skeletons. I figured the cedar skeletons would prevent the deer from browsing and allow it to get established. We'll see how it works.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #1203
hog_down
Ten Point

My mexican plums that I planted in the Hill Country are doing well too. I went and trimmed them so its one single main stem, and hopefully that encourages them to grow straight up. Just be aware that coons, squirrels, etc will be hammering the trees when they mature. I would keep using your tree tubes, and put a wire fence around them to prevent deer from getting to them when they are young.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 09:23 PM   #1204
MAP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Live Oak, Jim Wells, Dimmit Counties

I just looked up mexican plum trees, I may have to add some to my spot. I've got a spot where I'm planting figs, loquats, persimmons and mulberry trees for a turkey hot spot. Thos mexican plum trees are very pretty with those white flowers.
MAP is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #1205
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
My mexican plums that I planted in the Hill Country are doing well too. I went and trimmed them so its one single main stem, and hopefully that encourages them to grow straight up. Just be aware that coons, squirrels, etc will be hammering the trees when they mature. I would keep using your tree tubes, and put a wire fence around them to prevent deer from getting to them when they are young.
That's a good idea! We didn't want to put a wire fence around them until we saw that they would grow in our soils. Now that all 26 trees are growing fine, we will put 4ft diameter cages around each one to keep the deer, rabits, etc. away from them. They told us to keep the tree tubes until the tree is 10-15ft tall and then we can remove them.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #1206
bgleaton
Ten Point

We are still seeing a handful of doe that are still pregnant. Hopefully they have their fawns in the next couple of days. I hate going past June 15th as the later it gets the tougher it is on the fawns due to the heat and native habitat. This is why it's so important to have supplemental feed available free choice this time of year.