Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX
Default Pond management ?

I know this is a game management forum but habitat management and fisheries are all related so here goes...
We have a 4.5 acre lake on the ranch in Dimmit county. It is stocked with bass and bream. There were some tilapia but the freeze probably killed them.

In the last couple of weeks pond weeds have absolutely taken over. It is mostly naiads. Algae is relatively low. I have to do something about the weeds as they have made the majority of the lake unfishable. Diquat would work but there are cattails around the edge of the lake that the owner enjoys and I don't want to use any herbicide that would harm them.

Is the only option mechanical removal with a weed raker? It would be labor intensive and I'm afraid the weeds would just grow back in another 2-3 weeks.

Looking for recommendations!
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

TPWD carp permits have really helped us out.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
Sika
Pope & Young

Owner doesn't want grass carp.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Tagged
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

Aquacide co. website to identify weed and select product to kill it
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
elgato
Ten Point

Subscribe to " Pond Boss". Articles and readers write to this sort of thing all the time. Call Bob Lusk, editor and quiz him. Fine man and eager to help.He lives in your neck of the woods
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

I wouldn't be putting any chemical in someone else's pond. You do it at the wrong time and you killing the weeds could cause oxygen depletion and could kill all the fish. I wouldn't want that to happen in my pond let alone someone else's that I have permission or lease on.
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
I wouldn't be putting any chemical in someone else's pond. You do it at the wrong time and you killing the weeds could cause oxygen depletion and could kill all the fish. I wouldn't want that to happen in my pond let alone someone else's that I have permission or lease on.
I am the ranch manager so it's literally my job to manage the ponds and fish and I am seeking suggestions for a sound management strategy. The owner wishes to maintain the cattail population around the lake, maintain a healthy amount of planktonic algae and control nuisance filamentous algae and vegetation that makes the lake unfishable.

I need suggestions on how to keep the naiad plants from taking over. In my research I haven't found any herbicide to control nuisance plants without harming desirable plants.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Pm sent
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
I am the ranch manager so it's literally my job to manage the ponds and fish and I am seeking suggestions for a sound management strategy. The owner wishes to maintain the cattail population around the lake, maintain a healthy amount of planktonic algae and control nuisance filamentous algae and vegetation that makes the lake unfishable.

I need suggestions on how to keep the naiad plants from taking over. In my research I haven't found any herbicide to control nuisance plants without harming desirable plants.
Gotcha. That clarifies things. I am not familiar with naiaids. Are they submergent or floating mats? Clearcast herbicide gets the lowest ranking of toxicity in an aquatic herbicide and is good for spot treatment with a handheld sprayer. That might be worth a try on some isolated spots of these naiads. I wouldn't try spraying the entire weed area at once because of worry of oxygen depletion. Good luck with this and let us know how it goes. Getting too hot to do any raking lol
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
jt400
Four Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Terrell Co.

Blue pond dye will make the water plants pull back a lot without killing them and causing an oxygen depletion. Just doesn't allow sunlight in as much and stunts their growth. Shouldn't hurt the cat tails since they're above the water. Doesn't hurt the fish either. I use it every year. I do it early though so I don't know about doing it this late. Might want to research further. 4.5 acres initially should take about 7 gallons.
jt400 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #12
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

There isn't a good way to control Southern Naiad without doing some possible harm to the cattails except grass carp. I think spraying areas away from cattails would be ok, but no guarantees. Check out https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthrea...oard=14&page=1
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Endothall (Aquathol) and flumioxazin (Clipper) does a great job on niads and a poor job on cattails. Spray without covering cattail and you are good to go.

Or reach out to a Pond and Lake Management company to come treat. Pm if you would like my input.
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top