Outside Spigot Leaking In Wall When Turned On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside Spigot Leaking In Wall When Turned On

My outside spigot evidently froze and busted. It leaks from behind the brick, where I’m pointing, but only when turned on. It doesn’t leak at all when turned off. Am I going to have to cut a hole in the sheetrock on the inside/backside of this to repair it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	73659A01-FBC1-4726-AEFE-D4E786C72D97.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	25242688

Replace the spigot first.

Or better yet, pull the spigot, cap it and make sure it doesn’t leak.

Comment

Well you’ll have to cut something to be able to get in there to repair it
      I, myself, would cut some mortar and remove the half bricks on the side of the spigot. I don’t really know why but I abhor messing with Sheetrock and never can make a patch look right.....bricks, stone, mortar are easy

Comment

Should be able to unscrew the spigot without removing and brick. Youtube I’d your friend on this.

Comment

That looks like a frost free spigot. It should have a long extension that screws into a fitting deep in the wall. Since it is leaking when you turn it on, it is possible that you have a crack in it on the exterior side of the extension. It could be leaking on both sides, which may be leaking down the wall inside of it as that might be a small leak until you turn it on and more comes through the crack.
          Make sure you have no running toilets and ice machine, etc. then go watch your meter. If it slowly moves, it is leaking beyond the washer. Either way, remove it and replace. Hopefully it will be just the spigot.

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
            That looks like a frost free spigot. It should have a long extension that screws into a fitting deep in the wall. Since it is leaking when you turn it on, it is possible that you have a crack in it on the exterior side of the extension. It could be leaking on both sides, which may be leaking down the wall inside of it as that might be a small leak until you turn it on and more comes through the crack.
            Make sure you have no running toilets and ice machine, etc. then go watch your meter. If it slowly moves, it is leaking beyond the washer. Either way, remove it and replace. Hopefully it will be just the spigot.
            The slab & brick below it, the sheetrock in my bedroom behind it & the floor inside behind it are all bone dry so I'm pretty sure it only leaks when I turn it on.
            I can't decide if I want to remove the brick or cut a hole in the sheetrock behind it to fix it. Opinions on that scenario?

Comment

You may have a frost proof spigot.
              If it is and was threaded in you may be able to unthread it and change it out with new one. If it was sweated in you will have to access the end inside the house to replace.
              Attached Files

Comment

Always remove hoses from frost free faucets or the faucet will break in a freeze.

Even knowing this I lost a frost free about 10 years ago because I forgot to disconnect the hose before a freeze.

Comment

YouTube is your friend.

Comment

Pontiac nailed it.

Comment

Doesent sound like it is the pipe that’s busted, but the spigot itself

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                        You may have a frost proof spigot.
                        If it is and was threaded in you may be able to unthread it and change it out with new one. If it was sweated in you will have to access the end inside the house to replace.
                        How much force should I use to try to unscrew it? I don't want to bust the pipe itself!
                        Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                        Always remove hoses from frost free faucets or the faucet will break in a freeze.

Even knowing this I lost a frost free about 10 years ago because I forgot to disconnect the hose before a freeze.
                        I knew this & still failed to remove it. It's all on me.

Comment

Chisel the mortar and remove brick. Much easier to patch than **** rock.

Comment

If it's the front of the house. I would remove sheetrock. Side or back of house I would remove brink. That's just me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

I now have 2 Spigots that are leaking and can't get them to stop dripping. Dont think they are busted from what I can see. Can these be repaired without replacing the whole spigot? If not how do I get them replaced as they are sweated on inside the brick?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X