Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
Turbo6
Four Point

Default I need my own hunting property

So this is my 3rd year on my lease and have to say it's getting a little challenging. There are 6 of us on 900 acres and it just seems like they have a completely different hunting style.

I am a quiet, get in the stand early and sit kind of guy and all these guys do is ride around in UTVs looking for deer pushing everything all over. Then come back to camp and complain that they see nothing.

Last year I put my time in and shot a nice 11 point buck. Biggest the camp has seen in years so I am told. Now all these guys want to do is drive near where I setup and look for a big one. I voice my opinions and am told to "take it easy we are all just having fun" I get in hours before sunrise then see them drive by my stand at 8:30......

We just brought on a new member on and he is looking to setup a blind.......400 yards from my setup. since thats "where the big ones are"

Rut is here and I am trying to plan my hunts and it's super difficult with this scenario. Our property has adjacent leases and all I do is hear shots going off like crazy since my members are pushing them all off.

So rant over. Next year I guess I will setup a little closer to the property line and not say anything.

Last edited by Turbo6; 11-09-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #2
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

I feel your pain...last year I was on a lease with good potential. Unfortunately, the SxS convoy was a nonstop day and night, music blaring, drunken cruise up and down the road. Apparently the rules meant nothing to anyone...I don’t give a hoot how much someone drinks at the lease, but the SxS riding while drunk and blaring music was nonsense. I decided to take a break this year and I’m hunting at my in-laws farm. Next year I may give it a shot again, I just hope I can find a place where they at least respect other lease members
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
sideways
Ten Point

Default I need my own hunting property

We have rules that donít allow you to ride around during peak hunting times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
Slicefixer
Four Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
So this is my 3rd year on my lease and have to say it's getting a little challenging. There are 6 of us on 900 acres and it just seems like they have a completely different hunting style.

I am a quiet, get in the stand early and sit kind of guy and all these guys do is ride around in UTVs looking for deer pushing everything all over. Then come back to camp and complain that they see nothing.

Last year I put my time in and shot a nice 11 point buck. Biggest the camp has seen in years so I am told. Now all these guys want to do is drive near where I setup and look for a big one. I voice my opinions and am told to "take it easy we are all just having fun" I get in hours before sunrise then see them drive by my stand at 8:30......

We just brought on a new member on and he is looking to setup a blind.......400 yards from my setup. since thats "where the big ones are"

Rut is here and I am trying to plan my hunts and it's super difficult with this scenario. Our property has adjacent leases and all I do is hear shots going off like crazy since my members are pushing them all off.

So rant over. Next year I guess I will setup a little closer to the property line and not say anything.
There are hunters.............then there are these guys..........unfortunately.....
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
limbratgod333
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

I'm with you the three of us ought to find us one.lol
limbratgod333 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

That can be extremely frustrating, but it doesn't sound like you can get them on your same wavelength. Good luck to you.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

all reasons that I bought my own place. nothing but foot traffic except after dark or on the county road while I'm hunting
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #8
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Yup that's tough. I think the right like minded group is just as important as the quality of the lease itself. I took a 3yr break and just got on 1200ac in Rocksprings this year. There are only 4 of us and one extra spot that is just paid for by another hunter. The rules are strict and include no joy riding through the woods during hunting hours. The last group broke the rules I think. These multiple strict rules made this place a **** zoo now. It is incredible! Good luck to you
PBUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 01:38 AM   #9
joel45acp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

One of the many reasons I bought my Slice of Texas. Told the wife that our place would be a non-gun hunting place so she needed to get either a bow or a Xbow. She opted for the Xbow. We dont ride around, we walk at our place. We dont shoot guns or play loud music.....ever. I can't control what my neighbor does, but I can control what happens at my place. Best of luck
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 02:10 AM   #10
Turbo6
Four Point

Another pet peeve is that magically, opening day everyone needs to drive out to their blind and swap cards, fix feeders, scout new spots, repair blind windows, etc. You literally have months to do this but wait until I'm in the woods hunting to do so.

Another one is night hunting hogs. I don't care if there is a dedicated spot to do so, but to rip through the fields at 12 am cruising for pigs is just pushing our AM deer off the land. Once again, do this during the off season.

I really don't have any place else to hunt. Would love to buy my own place but can only afford a 30-40 acre parcel and just feel like thats not large enough.
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
Geraldg6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
There are hunters.............then there are these guys..........unfortunately.....

X2. Sounds the guys I have hunted with before. Drink all day and just shoot from the road. Take a picture and tell a big story.

There are true hunters and then the guys who do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #12
BufordT
Four Point

Hunt In: Groesbeck, Grimes

[QUOTE=Turbo6;14495939]Another pet peeve is that magically, opening day everyone needs to drive out to their blind and swap cards, fix feeders, scout new spots, repair blind windows, etc. You literally have months to do this but wait until I'm in the woods hunting to do so.

Another one is night hunting hogs. I don't care if there is a dedicated spot to do so, but to rip through the fields at 12 am cruising for pigs is just pushing our AM deer off the land. Once again, do this during the off season.

I really don't have any place else to hunt. Would love to buy my own place but can only afford a 30-40 acre parcel and just feel like thats not large enough.[/QUOTE

30 acres in the right spot is plenty, believe me
BufordT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #13
DeadEyeB
Eight Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

ugh all of that sounds awful. Maybe tell the lease owner? Really there should be some basic rules since there are probably guys that don't know any better. That should be on the lease owner though. They should spell them out real clearly so that all of their tenants are happy.
DeadEyeB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #14
Trapper76
Four Point

Good lease’s and people are out there, you just gotta shop around. The lease your on is not going to change, time to start shopping. It’s like some jobs, that lease will work until something better comes along.
Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Then there are those that like to ride around all night drinking beer and spotlighting varmints and coons at everybody else's feeders. They don't seem to think that this activity pushes the deer out or affects other peoples daylight hunting. Aw, we just shooting .22 rifles that don't make no noise. There's a reason for having lease rules and one strike your out!
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #16
Slicefixer
Four Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Then there are those that like to ride around all night drinking beer and spotlighting varmints and coons at everybody else's feeders. They don't seem to think that this activity pushes the deer out or affects other peoples daylight hunting. Aw, we just shooting .22 rifles that don't make no noise. There's a reason for having lease rules and one strike your out!

......and then...........there are even THOSE clowns......... and a LOT em nowadays.

Last year I got pictures of guys walking by one of my spots with miners lights on their heads. A few hours after I walked out. Obviously running dogs and trespassing of course. It's a darn good spot too.....

Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #17
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
So rant over. Next year I guess I will get off and find a new lease without this BS

FIFY...
We got off our last lease (with family) because of BS like this...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
Stick bow
Four Point

Hunt In: Currently lease less

How about those F ing screamers ??? I was over 350 yards away on a spot and this fool let’s loose this loud scream in celebration because he just stuck a pig. Really??? You’ve got to let whole lease know every time you shoot. Then at night drinking and yelling , its mind blowing how some immature grown men act. Screamers I can’t stand em!!!
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #19
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Everyone is always manage minded until it come to actually hunting. Move on might get lucky at another place. 6 hunters on 900 ac is stupid.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Sounds like you’re the odd man out on your lease so you should leave.

Leases have to be a team effort to work. The rest of the group isn’t on the same page as you are, so I’m guessing even if you tried to put in rules, it wouldn’t go your way.

Get a new place.
BitBackShot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #21
houhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Groveton
Default Another reason to buy your own...

I bought a little 40 acre tree farm 1hr 40min from the house. Killed this guy Tuesday. You have NO idea how much nicer it is when you do your own thing. I used to lease close to where I bought land and was sick of the rules only applying to certain people and all the BS. You better believe staying quiet and stealthy helped me get this guy.
Attached Images

houhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #22
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

You are on a vacation lease, ain’t none of them fellers care about hunting. They just out there escaping work and home life.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #23
Boone44
Four Point

Hunt In: DCNF

I think that's a big reason I've hunted National Forest land for the last 33 years. I do agree if you were on a lease with like minded hunters it would be nice. Good luck.
Boone44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #24
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by houhunter View Post
I bought a little 40 acre tree farm 1hr 40min from the house. Killed this guy Tuesday. You have NO idea how much nicer it is when you do your own thing. I used to lease close to where I bought land and was sick of the rules only applying to certain people and all the BS. You better believe staying quiet and stealthy helped me get this guy.
Dang!!
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #25
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Get off and move on. Not a chance in hell would someone drive by my stand late or set up close to you after you have your area set up. To many other places for that. Let them replace you with one of there own kind
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
sideways
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by houhunter View Post

We need better pictures of that buck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #27
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Hope you get to acquire your own slice of Texas. Your situation sounds very frustrating.
No matter how big the land parcel. It is all location location location. I hunt a friends 8 ac tract that has produced literally hundreds of free range Axis throughout the years for me and many others. Some have been 30" +..good whitetail also.
I also own a small 6.5 ac tract that produced great whitetails, axis and a world record muntjac...I am surrounded by large ranches, most, low fence. I make a effort NOT to take too many whitetail on one property. Axis and exotics are fair game always.
Hope you get to have you land dream come alive.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #28
houhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Groveton
Default One more pic...

I'm at work fighting lines that need to be unplugged before the really cold weather gets here. I'll post more as I can. He's a beast for sure.
Attached Images

houhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #29
joel45acp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

Quote:

I really don't have any place else to hunt. Would love to buy my own place but can only afford a 30-40 acre parcel and just feel like thats not large enough.
Donít fall for that mentality bud. 20ac in the right place is better than 900ac with a bunch of morons breaking all the lease rules. We have elk, Sika, hogs, WT, aoudads, fallow, blackbuck and Axis running around at our small Slice of Texas. Itís all about location location location. Best of luck in your endeavors.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top