Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #101
TAMU1998
Spike

Default 2019 Austin/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

The narrower spread was 16.75” and the wider spread was 21.25”.

I am trying to find out how you would measure for antler restrictions and for b&c score. Do you take the narrower measurement or wider measurement for AR? I am trying to get in touch with our local biologist to see what she has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TAMU1998; 10-11-2019 at 06:44 AM.
TAMU1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #102
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

I dealt with a similar situation last year.
She will probably tell you it’s a judgement call by whoever is scoring/measuring the buck. Because you measure the inside spread of the ”main”antler beams at the widest place. This measurement is taken at a right angle to centerline vertical axis of the skull and parallel to its horizontal axis. The person taking the measurement will have to choose which beam they think is the main beam. The other and any points on it will be scored as non typical points.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #103
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

I dealt with a similar situation last year.
She will probably tell you it’s a judgement call by whoever is scoring/measuring the buck. Because you measure the inside spread of the ”main”antler beams at the widest place. This measurement is taken at a right angle to centerline vertical axis of the skull and parallel to its horizontal axis. The person taking the measurement will have to choose which beam they think is the main beam. The other and any points on it will be scored as non typical points.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #104
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMU1998 View Post
Got this double beam last weekend in Fayette Co. Score on this deer is not what was important, but it did raise the question of how you would score such a deer. Does a double beam only have the split beam for one year? Or is it an annual formation?

That’s a one in a million deer.
JMKro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #105
JMKro
Six Point

Saw two small bucks fighting off of 389 this morning, and had what looked like an older/nicer deer semi-chasing a doe about 12:15 this afternoon. Looks like things are starting to happen.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #106
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Seeing lots of does with no bucks in sight.
Lots of scrapes being made though.
Couple more weeks on this end probably.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #107
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Seeing lots of does with no bucks in sight.
Lots of scrapes being made though.
Couple more weeks on this end probably.

I still saw them bachelored up last weekend. Hoping this full moon and front will get em going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #108
JMKro
Six Point

I ended up seeing the buck I saw yesterday afternoon during yesterday evening's hunt. He made a scrape about 50 yards away from the stand. I tried grunting when he started walking away, but all he did was stand there and look for the source of the noise. Luckily, he didn't snort or run off, so hopefully I didn't weird him out too much. Probably the biggest deer I've personally seen while hunting. Of course, my biggest buck only scored 115" (), but I'm pretty sure this one would beat that. Even had a sticker point off one of his tines. Never seen one of those before in person. Big body too.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #109
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Last week on my drive between Madisonville and Brenham I saw 4 deer that had been hit by cars. On my other 20 trips since May I ve seen 0.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #110
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Last week on my drive between Madisonville and Brenham I saw 4 deer that had been hit by cars. On my other 20 trips since May I ve seen 0.

They are definitely becoming more active lately. Ive seen a noticeable amount of deer the last week on 1094 while heading into work.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #111
JMKro
Six Point

Anyone seen any rutting activity? I hunted last Tuesday (morning & evening) and didn't notice any of the deer acting frisky. I saw the deer I want to shoot during the evening hunt, but he was out of range again. I'll probably sit a few times this week. Last hoorah before gun season starts.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #112
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

No rut activity yet. Neighbors started shooting guns this weekend.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #113
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
Anyone seen any rutting activity? I hunted last Tuesday (morning & evening) and didn't notice any of the deer acting frisky. I saw the deer I want to shoot during the evening hunt, but he was out of range again. I'll probably sit a few times this week. Last hoorah before gun season starts.

Had a nice 8 dogging a doe on Saturday. He was paying no mind to his surroundings when he ran 40 yards from us while on the porch watching football and chatting. So im pretty sure its starting to get fired up.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #114
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
Had a nice 8 dogging a doe on Saturday. He was paying no mind to his surroundings when he ran 40 yards from us while on the porch watching football and chatting. So im pretty sure its starting to get fired up.

We had one that paid zero attention to the ladies, and my son killed an 8 that had his neck stretched out, hounding a doe. I don’t think she was ready for all of that, but he was sure enough interested. It’s getting close for sure
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #115
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Checked cameras when I arrived this evening, and have a couple bucks that I haven’t seen on camera this year. 2 look like decent mature deer, but every video I have is a deer on a mission, so it’s hard to get a good look. Taking my wife out in the morning, trying to get her her first buck...good luck to everyone in our area this weekend
Old 11-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #116
JMKro
Six Point

Anyone have any luck this past weekend? It's looking like this upcoming weekend is going to be nice weather as well.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #117
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Anyone have any luck this past weekend? It's looking like this upcoming weekend is going to be nice weather as well.
Just rolled into Bellville, gonna grab a few hours of sleep before taking my wife out and trying to get her connected with her first buck. I have one real good looking high and tight and one wide sucker with no brows that I hope decide to step out in the morning. Either one will get a 7mm-08 to the chest, so I’m a little amped up to say the least 😁
Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #118
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
Just rolled into Bellville, gonna grab a few hours of sleep before taking my wife out and trying to get her connected with her first buck. I have one real good looking high and tight and one wide sucker with no brows that I hope decide to step out in the morning. Either one will get a 7mm-08 to the chest, so I’m a little amped up to say the least

Good luck with em! Hope one or both shows up.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #119
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Good luck with em! Hope one or both shows up.

So far just a young 8 pt...came out just after daybreak and cut a doe away from the group and chased her off down into the creek. But it’s a beautiful morning anyways
Old 11-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #120
Speck
Four Point

Hunt In: Cat Spring, TX

Good luck.
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 12:07 AM   #121
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Saw a total of 14 before we shut down at mid-day and headed back to pick up our daughter. 3 bucks, one legal but young, a 2.5 that’ll be really nice in a few more years, and a yearling 5 pt...the legal buck cut out the one doe and chased her down into the creek, and the 2.5 year old was trying unsuccessfully to find an interested doe

We’ll be back next weekend, but not sure if my wife will have time to hunt. It’s her families thanksgiving get together, there’ll be 75-80 people there. But if I can convince her to, we’ll be sitting in the bottom pasture in hopes that one of the mature bucks cruises through
Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #122
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Saw a total of 14 before we shut down at mid-day and headed back to pick up our daughter. 3 bucks, one legal but young, a 2.5 that’ll be really nice in a few more years, and a yearling 5 pt...the legal buck cut out the one doe and chased her down into the creek, and the 2.5 year old was trying unsuccessfully to find an interested doe

We’ll be back next weekend, but not sure if my wife will have time to hunt. It’s her families thanksgiving get together, there’ll be 75-80 people there. But if I can convince her to, we’ll be sitting in the bottom pasture in hopes that one of the mature bucks cruises through

Better luck next time. Hopefully in another week we’ll have some more hot does being chased around.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #123
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

Shot this one Friday morning. Saw 25 deer. The most ever out of my bow stand. 11 points 145 5/8. Also killed me a slick antlered buck 10 minutes later. Awesome morning.

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #124
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsticker View Post
Shot this one Friday morning. Saw 25 deer. The most ever out of my bow stand. 11 points 145 5/8. Also killed me a slick antlered buck 10 minutes later. Awesome morning.

Dang good deer! Congrats

Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #125
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Weirdest Season I have seen in a while. Zero rutting activities seen and mature deer have yet to even show up on camera. Buck movement was better this weekend but, still nothing to get excited over. With every nearby shot I am down to only 1 spike left in the area. This spike rule has to be the dumbest thing to ever come out of the AR program.
Mex. Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #126
JMKro
Six Point

I saw a buck bumping does around Friday evening, but that's been the only rutting activity I've seen in 11 sits.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #127
JMKro
Six Point

Quote:

Gettin' it dun'
Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #128
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Weirdest Season I have seen in a while. Zero rutting activities seen and mature deer have yet to even show up on camera. Buck movement was better this weekend but, still nothing to get excited over. With every nearby shot I am down to only 1 spike left in the area. This spike rule has to be the dumbest thing to ever come out of the AR program.
I agree, the whole area has been on a downward trend because of social media and threads like this. I also agree that the spike rule needs to be done away with.

And don't even get me started on allowing does to be shot over Thanksgiving with a rifle...
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #129
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
I agree, the whole area has been on a downward trend because of social media and threads like this. I also agree that the spike rule needs to be done away with.

And don't even get me started on allowing does to be shot over Thanksgiving with a rifle...
Definitely been different this year, but we’ve had hogs move in and disrupt the “normal” movement a little bit. Things are getting better though. Mature bucks are showing back up now that hogs have scattered.

I’d like to hear more about this downward spiral that the internet is creating in the Post Oak Savannah region of Texas. Sounds interesting. Please post some statistics or a link. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #130
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:

Not sure social media has the area on a downward trend as much as ranches being sold off in 20/40 acre tracts and a feeder being put on every place with non selective hunters. Although not a fan of pics being posted. People have no idea how easy it is to figure out where a deer was killed or worse assume where it was killed. You kill a big deer this year and pull the “look at me” crap every non hunted 10acres around you will have 2 stands on it next year. Small acreage and bragging don’t mix.

As for the doe season I have mixed feelings. If I don’t find a buck to shoot I can now kill a couple of does for sausage instead of killing a “cull” 3yr old (have a couple of places with probably too many does). But I also saw areas shot out when we had end of season doe season a couple of decades ago. Early season and only 4 days I’m hopeful we don’t see the same thing we did as before.

The area has also changed in what is being killed. I sit in the same stand every year opening morning since I was 10. Back then opening morning I would hear around 20 shots being fired, and this was before we had hogs in the area. Now 1 maybe 2 shots on opening morning, this year I heard 3, and 2 of those were my dad shooting hogs. In the end it’s greatly improved from my youth but still difficult watching a young 130 class deer disappear at some point during season. All I can do is feed them and hope a few decent deer make it to next year and make a big jump.

Last edited by Stuck; 11-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #131
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
I won't argue with that it seems seriously counterintuitive to what they're trying to accomplish in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
Not sure social media has the area on a downward trend as much as ranches being sold off in 20/40 acre tracts and a feeder being put on every place with non selective hunters. Although not a fan of pics being posted. People have no idea how easy it is to figure out where a deer was killed or worse assume where it was killed. You kill a big deer this year and pull the “look at me” crap every non hunted 10acres around you will have 2 stands on it next year. Small acreage and bragging don’t mix.

As for the doe season I have mixed feelings. If I don’t find a buck to shoot I can now kill a couple of does for sausage instead of killing a “cull” 3yr old (have a couple of places with probably too many does). But I also saw areas shot out when we had end of season doe season a couple of decades ago. Early season and only 4 days I’m hopeful we don’t see the same thing we did as before.
I have mixed feelings as well...but after watching closely for the last decade, we average 4 doe to every buck at most times. I will not be killing any doe myself, but I may let the kids take one or two. But I'll wait and see what the folks around us do for a year or two. I think for the most part, at least with the immediate neighbors that I've talked to, everyone is proceeding with caution. Luckily for me, we have mostly large places around us with owners who have been here for decades, and they remember what it was like to not see many deer
Old 11-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #132
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:

I tend to lean more towards predators than humans for the deer population in my area. We have 5 does that we see everyday all year long and I only saw 1 with a fawn this year. I doubt the other 4 mis-carried or didnt take. Although it is possible. But I watched a coyote run a 2-3 yr old doe into our pond and wouldnt let her out until I sent some lead his way. And even then I had to go run her out of the pond. That tells me a lot about the coyotes around here.

As for doe days, im totally against it. And im not a fan of the spike rule either. Both for obvious reasons.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #133
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
I tend to lean more towards predators than humans for the deer population in my area. We have 5 does that we see everyday all year long and I only saw 1 with a fawn this year. I doubt the other 4 mis-carried or didnt take. Although it is possible. But I watched a coyote run a 2-3 yr old doe into our pond and wouldnt let her out until I sent some lead his way. And even then I had to go run her out of the pond. That tells me a lot about the coyotes around here.

As for doe days, im totally against it. And im not a fan of the spike rule either. Both for obvious reasons.

My son and wife are both itching to take out coyotes and bobcats...so if one pops out, they’re goners
Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #134
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

Ton of coyotes this year! We have shot one and snared 3 but so far we have not made a dent. I will disagree with most on the spike rule. We kill every slick antlered deer we see each year. We consistently kill 145”+ bucks for our trophies. We don’t shoot other deer until they are 6.5 or older. Yes neighbors kill some we let go. The theory and research by TPWD back up shooting spikes. Most turn into those 6.5 year old 12. “ spread deer everyone gripes about. Can they be bigger yes. Not looking to debate the spike issue just saying what has worked for us.

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #135
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ton of coyotes this year! We have shot one and snared 3 but so far we have not made a dent. I will disagree with most on the spike rule. We kill every slick antlered deer we see each year. We consistently kill 145”+ bucks for our trophies. We don’t shoot other deer until they are 6.5 or older. Yes neighbors kill some we let go. The theory and research by TPWD back up shooting spikes. Most turn into those 6.5 year old 12. “ spread deer everyone gripes about. Can they be bigger yes. Not looking to debate the spike issue just saying what has worked for us.

Cant disagree with what works. I just happen to be one of those 20 acre tracts folks dont like so I try my best to attract and keep attracting all I can. Therefore I dont shoot young deer as I want all the deer in the area I can so I can be selective and have 6+ year old deer around. Still havent killed a deer off our place and hoping this year will be the one if the right one shows.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #136
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
My son and wife are both itching to take out coyotes and bobcats...so if one pops out, they’re goners

I used to get them on camera often but havent the last two years. Guess theyre getting a bit more sneaky.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #137
Speck
Four Point

Downward trend because of social media? Get real. I think this thread is great. Let’s me know what others are seeing. Makes me feel better when I’m not seeing anything and others are in the same boat. Celebrate each other’s successes. There is nothing wrong with sharing each other’s experiences and observations. And it’s certainly not negatively impacting the deer herd. Drought, natural predators, speeding cars, and UFOs have more impact. And Sasquatch.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #138
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

Doe days around where I am is going to drastically hurt the population I’m afraid. The part I don’t understand is if a landowner had an over population of does why not apply for co-op doe tags? Why let the ratio get so far out of hand and not do anything about it.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #139
WS_AG
Four Point

Hunt In: Washington, Austin, Burleson

Because people are afraid to shoot does! If they get tags through the co-op they don't shoot them all. State average is 40% of issuance. If people shot their mld tags we wouldn't need doe days.
WS_AG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #140
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
I used to get them on camera often but havent the last two years. Guess theyre getting a bit more sneaky.

I have videos of coyotes morning, mid day, evening, and at night...my son and I saw one on youth weekend, but he was waiting on a shot for his buck and wasn’t about to mess that up but they’re his prime target now and my wife is of the opinion that she will kill them no matter if her target buck is standing there waiting for her. She hates them more than I do
Old 11-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #141
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post

The area has also changed in what is being killed. I sit in the same stand every year opening morning since I was 10. Back then opening morning I would hear around 20 shots being fired, and this was before we had hogs in the area. Now 1 maybe 2 shots on opening morning, this year I heard 3, and 2 of those were my dad shooting hogs. In the end it’s greatly improved from my youth but still difficult watching a young 130 class deer disappear at some point during season. All I can do is feed them and hope a few decent deer make it to next year and make a big jump.
I agree with most of the things you said, but social media does have something to do with it like it like it or not. I like you have been here the entire time. Seen the best of it, and have seen the worst. It will never be better than it was 5-6 years after AR’s went in. All of a sudden I went to having zero neighbors that hunted to having a stand on every corner over the course of a few years.

You’re 100% right about the subdividing of land, now EVERYONE knows someone with some small tract of land, and most of those get hunted. This is probably the number 1a reason for the trend.

We haven’t shot spikes in many of years, and I have yet to see a 5 year old deer that didn’t break 13”. Yes, we killed several that we taped as soon as we could, and we always had 3/4” plus to spare.

You have also never seen me post a pic of a deer on social media or TBH. There is a reason for that. My neighbors that are like minded know what we have and what we shoot, and that is about it. Most of these are local that saw what I did, very few new people are like minded.

Good luck and do the right thing to all. Just remember, you will never kill a 140 if you shoot every 130 you see. Let em get old, and shut up about them when they do.

Last edited by Hockley; 11-13-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 02:06 AM   #142
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Went and Filled Feeders Yesterday Before Heading Back to work. Pulled 2 cards and Finally seen Some New Mature Bucking Moving around. If you don't Have one Tied down It could Start Heating Up a little Finally. Good Luck Every and Be safe
Mex. Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #143
Speck
Four Point

My wife and kids stopped on 36 just outside of Sealy yesterday afternoon as a nice buck walked across the highway.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #144
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck View Post
My wife and kids stopped on 36 just outside of Sealy yesterday afternoon as a nice buck walked across the highway.

Its pretty on in Austin county right now. Ive seen plenty new bucks show up and a ton of rutting activities. Had a young 10 making a scrape Sunday morning and flingin mud 10’ behind while he did it. He was all kinds of fired up.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #145
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

My father-in-law's family is having their Thanksgiving at the farm this weekend...my wife said "I don't know if I'll hunt on Saturday morning, I really need to be up and cooking" I'm gonna do my best to change her mind, I'll help her cook after we hunt...this is the prime time to be sitting and waiting for one of the old fellas to cruise thru. If she doesn't, I'll just sit and see what she misses so that I can tell her about it and make her regret not listening to me
Old 11-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #146
Speck
Four Point

a Friday morning sit is calling my name.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #147
Dushon
Ten Point

Shot 8 does this morning. Zero rutting activity so far, north Washington cty

Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #148
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
My father-in-law's family is having their Thanksgiving at the farm this weekend...my wife said "I don't know if I'll hunt on Saturday morning, I really need to be up and cooking" I'm gonna do my best to change her mind, I'll help her cook after we hunt...this is the prime time to be sitting and waiting for one of the old fellas to cruise thru. If she doesn't, I'll just sit and see what she misses so that I can tell her about it and make her regret not listening to me

Good luck with that!

Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #149
JMKro
Six Point

Quote:

But yet you post on this thread...

... I don't get it.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #150
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
But yet you post on this thread...

... I don't get it.
Unfortunately, one day you probably will.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top