Bow or crossbow????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow or crossbow????

I'm a newbie & I've never owned a bow or crossbow! Be brutal! be honest! I can take it?
    I think I want a crossbow? Or maybe a bow?
    I'm almost 60.
    Bad back and knees. I'm not a complete girlyman but I sure ain't Superman either.
    Height 6'3".
    Weight 275.
    Right handed but left eye dominate. I shoot "guns" left handed.
    New would be OK but I would prefer something used to start with.
    New under $600.00? Used ????? half that?
    God bless America plus you and yours!
    Semper Fidelis.
    BRJ
    I did have one of those fiberglass bows growing up. You know the kind you would shoot and the arrow would end up in your thigh?

Vertical bow !

Comment

My dad shoots a crossbow now versus his compound and loves it. do not buy a Barnett crossbow. You do not have to spend a lot on a crossbow to perform well.
      Limit yourself to Mechanical broad heads 125 grain wasp jackhammers perform well

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
        My dad shoots a crossbow now versus his compound and loves it. do not buy a Barnett crossbow. You do not have to spend a lot on a crossbow to perform well.
        Limit yourself to Mechanical broad heads 125 grain wasp jackhammers perform well
        Curious what is wrong with a Barnett and why you discourage fixed broadheads.

Comment

I'm now 60. Went to a crossbow 2 years ago. Started with the Barnett quad 400. Great starter X bow. Now own a Barnett vengance. Shoots lights out. Love the reverse limb technology.

Comment

I have a Barnett Raptor FX that's 2yrs old. It eats strings, I'm on #3 in 200 shots. I was having horrible accuracy problems but once I found the right combo it's deadly accurate. I shoot Black Eagle Executioners or Easton FMJs and can't shoot the same spot on a target twice or I ruin arrows. I like my Schwackers or some Muzzy Trocar Crossbow heads, fixed blades seem to be much more finicky.

I was messing around with cheap scopes and decided I needed a quality optic leading to the Nikon Bolt. With the Spot On App I can shoot out to 50yds and make hits in the kill zone everytime. I don't intend to shoot anything other than pigs at that distance.

My next bow will be an Excalibur of some sort as I'm tired of having to go to a bow shop for work or tuning. They have high draw weights but you can get a crank if needed. You may get a lot of crossbow haters on here but I care not what anyone thinks.

Anything that can draw more people into archery is a positive thing. So many vertical bow guys with crazy cams and insane let offs don't consider crossbows to be real archery. If they want to do "REAL" archery they should only shoot a wood longbow with hand made arrows lol.

The best part about my crossbow is that my 8yr old who practices every few days with his Diamond Atomic will be able to actually hunt this year using my Raptor. I'm only turning him loose on deer with his 243 but pigs are fair game with the Raptor.
            Last edited by sleepy_sleeper; 09-06-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I tried to pull a crossbow back this weekend with just the generic hand cords. If you have a bad back may want to consider one with pulley system or winch. Harder than I thought. Also, I was surprised how heavy ~ 10 lbs. Flip side, compounds are not that easy on aging shoulders if you don't keep them in shape. I feel like I am in decent shape at 50, but only good for an hour of practice shooting my compound at 60 lb draw weight.

Comment

Nothing against crossbows, I think they have their place. Personally I would look into a light weight (50lb draw) bow. There are lots of good bows out there, maybe visit a local bow shop? (I think Double G Archery may be close to you, or perhaps Archery Country in Austin.) My son has taken a few deer with a crossbow and they can be easy to shoot with very little practice. It not the easiest thing to cock/draw back though. And in some ways it scares me a little bit, as far as the danger factor once it is cocked (watch your fingers.)

Comment

Crossbow. Bought a barnet raptor and it's fun as heck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We use both, I have and use a vertical compound bow and my wife loves her excalibur micro 335. Truth be told, I like shooting the crossbow every once in a while too.

Comment

Personally, I prefer the compound bow. More of a challenge IMO.
                      I'm in pretty good shape at age 65. I've pulled at 55lbs since 2006, and harvested lots of game including bear. No elk yet, but on the bucket list!

Comment

60 yrs old myself and if I take up the bow it will be horizontal. Screwed up the right shoulder years ago trying to start a 1956 Evinrude 10 hp OB. Hasn't been right since.

Comment

Over 60 here, but shooting a bow on and off for almost 50 years, seriously for the past 20. A crossbow is more like a rifle than a bow in my humble opinion. Not to demean crossbow hunters, but it's different from archery.

I'd suggest you contact a local archery pro shop with a range, and say you want to take 2-3 lessons to try out archery, compounds and traditional bows. Have somebody who knows how to teach you how to shoot, teach you how to shoot and see how you like and how your body responds to pulling a bow. I'm a Level 1 instructor and feel comfortable teaching newbies how to shoot.

I will advise/warn you that the rear shoulder (deltoid) and back muscles you use in archery do not get much use in any other activities or sports, which is why the reduction in draw weight in a compound for the last 6 or so inches makes such a difference. I can shoot a 70# compound, but could not shoot a 50# recurve now- although I plan on working back into my 54# when I retire and move to Montana for elk.

Comment

Are you wanting to hunt by October 1? If so, crossbow. I ws going to give it a go this year with trad, but shooting it lately and my elbow has started acting up again. Bought anothwr Exclibur yesterday from Cabelas. And found KILLER deal in the Bargain Cave and saved over $500 on a high dollar Excalibur.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Comment

To each, their own.

(Girlyman)

Comment

Working...
                              X