Labor day food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor day food plot

labor day is usually my long weekend to get food plots going in east texas. with as hot as it has been im thinking about delaying for a couple weeks. any thoughts? when are yall planning on slinging seed?

Is usually plant a couple weeks after Labor Day.

Comment

Mine depends on the weather. This is Texas, it can change overnight.

Comment

Late Sept/early October whenever there is rain in the forecast.

Comment

I normally plant one of the last two weekends of September. I'll plant later if there isn't rain.

Comment

2nd weekend in October

Comment

I'm going to shred it Labor Day weekend, and maybe lightly disc. But I'll get the process going.

Comment

9/7 mainly due to availability of time to do it

Comment

I stopped planting on Labor day quite a few years back. It seems as though we get typical rains just after labor day and then it gets dry and often very warm. This causes the plants to germinate, but they don't get enough moisture to sustain growth and they heat stress really bad, sometimes wiping out some of the plot.

Comment

I plant the weekend before dove season opens because it always rains the week of dove season and scatters the birds.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                      I stopped planting on Labor day quite a few years back. It seems as though we get typical rains just after labor day and then it gets dry and often very warm. This causes the plants to germinate, but they don't get enough moisture to sustain growth and they heat stress really bad, sometimes wiping out some of the plot.
                      This is the problem. It’s not so much that you won’t get any rain, that won’t make any difference. I’ve had success several times planting in dust. But if you get enough to germinate and then no more, you’re in trouble.

Comment

You guys planting early ...do y'all spray for army worms?

Comment

I plant in middle of October around rain, with thoughts of it up for rifle season

Comment

FWIW

I wait till 3rd-4th weekend september for all the reasons mentioned above

Higher probability for rain, less threat from army worms

i do start to get "itchy trigger" about labor day

I usually head on over to east texas seed co the tuesday after labor day and act a kid in the candy store

bill

Comment

I watch the forecasts starting the first week of September. I wait for a high probability of rain and plant the day before. I'm fortunate I can prep and plant about any day of the week if I need to and can be at all my leases in less than 1 hour. My plots aren't huge though.

Comment

Working...
                              X