Backup camera question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup camera question

I recently bought a new to me truck and need to add a backup camera to it.
    Not having a camera was almost a deal breaker, but this truck was so clean and low mileage I couldn’t pass it up.

I pull a trailer quite often and having a camera would make hooking up so much easier. I have done without it for years and have gotten pretty good at getting lined up in two or three attempts, but I am getting old and don’t have the patience I used to.

Has anyone here added an aftermarket backup camera to their truck?

Is it worth the extra money to replace the factory radio with one that has a built in display screen?

Should I just go with the system that has the display built into the rearview mirror? I am concerned about how small the view is with this option.

Having the display screen sitting on the dash is not an option for me. I want the screen mounted either in the dash or in the mirror.

Wireless or wired? I have read reviews that the wireless does not have very good resolution at times.

The only thing I know for sure is the camera must have night vision.

Open for suggestions.

Thanks

Wish I could help!! PM sent JerryH

Comment

Might look at Amazon!!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
        Might look at Amazon!!

Amazon does not do installation and neither am I

Comment

What kind of truck? I had a 03 2500 HD Chevy which didn’t have any of the features now days. Several years later I replaced the whole unit with one that had GPS navigation, back up camera and whole works. Believe it was a Kenwood unit. Back up camera installed to the rear plate screws and worked great and wired into factory wiring harness. Came on just like the factory ones, put it in reverse and came right on. Was a awesome upgrade and with navigation and camera it took away the new truck bug for quite a while. Any of your local truck upgrade stereo shops can help you out and install.

Comment

Absolutely worth it. I will never own a vehicle without one. I bought a double high radio that had the ability to hookup to a camera. Bought one for 50 on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
              What kind of truck? I had a 03 2500 HD Chevy which didn’t have any of the features now days. Several years later I replaced the whole unit with one that had GPS navigation, back up camera and whole works. Believe it was a Kenwood unit. Back up camera installed to the rear plate screws and worked great and wired into factory wiring harness. Came on just like the factory ones, put it in reverse and came right on. Was a awesome upgrade and with navigation and camera it took away the new truck bug for quite a while. Any of your local truck upgrade stereo shops can help you out and install.

Its a 17 Titan crew cab with only 14K miles, to me that's a new truck. My old one has 283K miles and it is getting tired. I set a goal several years ago to drive it until I hit 300K miles but I couldn't pass up the new truck.

Real world input like yours holds more value with me than some sales person at the truck shop. I an leaning towards the new radio upgrade.
              I want a clean installation and look I will be driving this for many years.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Sorry Jerry. I'm of no help. I've only been in a couple of vehicles with cams. But never drove one. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Good luck on get-n-er done. And congrats on the new ride.

Comment

We had some installed on our work trucks that where in the mirror. I would definitely go with the dash replacement one.

Comment

I don't think I would want one that displays on mirror, I have never seen one, but that seems too small. Sounds like you will probably have the truck a long time, I would replace the radio with one that has a display. You could probably get it done at Best Buy or one of the places that does car audio. Dealer can probably do it too, but would be high. If you google "your model truck backup camera installation" there is a ton of info

Now that I have had a backup camera, I would not want to be wo one!!

Comment

Replace the head unit preferably with a double din size so you can have a decent size screen. Wired will almost always be better than wireless.

Car Toys can probably get you taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                        Its a 17 Titan crew cab with only 14K miles, to me that's a new truck. My old one has 283K miles and it is getting tired. I set a goal several years ago to drive it until I hit 300K miles but I couldn't pass up the new truck.

Real world input like yours holds more value with me than some sales person at the truck shop. I an leaning towards the new radio upgrade.
                        I want a clean installation and look I will be driving this for many years.

Thanks for your input.
                        That’s what I would do, you won’t regret it. Not sure how big your radio compartment is but hopefully it’s double din size. If so your options are wide open. If not I’m sure any good audio shop will have kits to make it look factory installed. It was truly the best upgrade I did to my old truck. I’d steer clear of the chain stores and find a car audio shop to help you. Versus audio in Burleson did mine if wanted to come across town. Might be worth a call anyway.
                        Last edited by Electrican; 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Jerry you can buy a aftermarket rearview mirror with camera I put one in my work truck.

Comment

Backup camera question

I added camera to a 2001, 2002 and 2008 F150 and an 06 Lincoln LS last year for a friend and family. I installed a double din JVC radio and BOYO cameras. Yes do wired and not wireless. The truck cameras just mounted above rear plate and the Lincoln drilled a hole for camera just below trunk latch and it looked factory. I will probably be doing my 2011 F150 soon but when I do I will get the camera that is mounted in the tailgate latch. A little more but looks factory. One note is that the cameras work great day and fair at night but remember these don’t have any warning beep like factory systems. It’s just the video. It has guide lines that you can adjust on screen so that you can get a real good idea how close you are. If you want proximity warning beep you can get that but it’s pricey and you will have to drill holes in bumper.

I chose the JVC radios because oddly enough it was one of the few that had a USB jack in front which is handy for charging phone or for playing music. Most other brands had USB input but they were all in back and you would have to run a USB cord from back and have hang below dash or run to glovebox. That just seemed stupid to me. Kenwood is made by JVC and many also had front USB.

The cameras I chose had little LEDs that aided night vision. It helped some but after a lot of research I don’t think many if any do great at night. I will tell you that keeping the lens clean makes much more difference in quality at night than it does during the day. Just get in a habit of walking behind truck and wiping road grime off lens with finger before getting in.

On another note. If you have iPhone it might be worth it to upgrade to a radio that has Apple CarPlay or if Android get one with Android (don’t remember what they call theirs). Makes using the radio for phone and music easier.

I did do all the installs myself. This is my experience. Hope it helps.
                            Last edited by Mjjust; 07-21-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I recently upgraded my radio in my 04 Toyota Tundra. I went with a double din Sony with apple car play as well as a back up camera off of amazon. I could not be happier with it after installing it. I won’t have another truck without a backup camera. The apple car play is very nice as well. Hope this helps you decide

Comment

Working...
                              X