Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop up info needed

When setting up a pop up blind how far in advance do you set it up

I once set one up quick on the edge of a hay field in Kansas to intercept some turkeys and had a deer rub up against it 5 minutes later. But...if using for deer hunting the locals will realize it is something new and usually avoid it for a few days until they see no threat from it. Depends on location and brushed in or not and distance from where the intended target is.

Comment

I would try to have it up a couple weeks before you hunt. It’s dependent on your situation though. There are guys who will scout an area and put up a blind a couple days before. But I think you would need to brush it in really well to make it almost invisible doing this.

I used to hunt out of pop ups a few years ago. Would set up at the beginning of the season and leave them out. Wouldn’t bother to brush them in as all the brush would die and turn brown, exposing the blind even more imo. The deer get used to them pretty fast but they’re not fools. Every time they came into the feeder they would take a good long look in the blind. Any difference or movement would put them on alert and make them very hard to kill. I experimented with keeping the mesh up and this worked better but your bow needs to be tuned and your arrows using cut on contact heads. You really have to hunt the wind. Being on ground level and dealing with swirling winds makes for a challenging hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigbird View Post
        When setting up a pop up blind how far in advance do you set it up
        When I used one, I would try to get it out around the first of September. Usually on opening dove weekend.

Comment

At least a week for me.

Comment

About a week ahead of time .

Comment

I know everything and everywhere is different but the year Harvey hit I had my feeders running before but my pop up didn’t come in in time. I placed it on opening morning and had deer all over it on Monday. It was the first pop up used on our place so it’s possible the deer didn’t realize what it was and it was placed about 40 yards from the feeder

Comment

Brush it in and hunt them that day

Comment

I like a month before. Or the same time I start feeding corn

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                    Brush it in and hunt them that day
                    I agree. As long as it is completely covered in brush, I don't think it matters.
                    I do put mine up sooner if I can.

Comment

The only time I really used a pop up was on the youth draw hunts. These were only a day and half hunts. I set it up, backed it up to some brush, and my son killed deer out of it the next day. His first 2 deer were only 35 and 40 yds. away. These 2 does actually came out about 130 yds. away, looked at the blind, and made a bee line to it, checking it out. Another doe he shot was about 75 yds. away and never looked at it. Had several bucks stroll by and never looked our way. This happen when we were on doe/spike only hunts. The only time I saw a deer "spook" was when I did brush it in.
                      Who would have thought!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice

Comment

I use them on public grounds we have to take em down after every hunt just look for a solid back ground like cedars or brush an try an brush it in some never had to much of a issue just don’t put it in an open spot between trees where they are use to seeing a open area they will bust you every time! Good luck an happy hunting

Comment

Working...
                          X