Leather sheath treatment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather sheath treatment question

I have a couple of old USMC Kabars and USN Mark 1 knives with leather sheaths. The sheaths are in good shape but are starting to look their age and dry. Is there an oil or leather treatment that you would recommend to keep them from cracking and falling apart?

Someone may give you something better, but I'd just try several coats of Neatsfoot oil. The first several coats of it will probably soak right in.

Comment

I'd recommend a bath with saddle soap, once dry- pure neatsfoot oil.

Comment

Saddlesoap then Mink oil. I use mink oil on sheaths I make. I also use oil based leather dyes that tend to protect blades better and not cause rust. More info here. https://medium.com/@christinagillett...r-f02df0bbfa16

Comment

Another vote for neatsfoot oil

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
            Another vote for neatsfoot oil

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            To the point.

Comment

I like Neatsfoot oil. Just be sure to use Pure Neatsfoot oil and not Prime Neatsfoot oil. Prime Neatsfoot oil contains other additives, such as petroleum, which can damage leather. Give the sheaths a good cleaning with Saddle soap before applying the Neatsfoot oil.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input. The mink oil is appealing based on the idea that it does not darken the leather. But I'll defer to the majority and try the saddle soap and neatsfoot oil.

Comment

Working...
                X