Found a cistern?? Maybe lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
    We dropped a huge magnet but only got scrap snd barbed wire. I’m assuming this attempt failed as the water line looks like it was never deeper than it is now and we have no wells at all on the place, supposedly water is over 1,000’ deep here according to the local drilling co and county rep. We had to get county water from the fm road brought over and pay big time for it
    It isn't a failed well... people just didn't use that much water back in the day. Maybe 5 to 10 gallons a day and that will probably produce that much or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
      Yes it does or brick something hard not dirt
      Be interesting to see if you could clean it out and if its spring fed.

Comment

When I was in high school I helped a friend Redig an old well that was in his mother’s backyard. When I reflected on that years later, I thought we must have been nuts as we did nothing to shore up the sides, we just kept digging.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
          It isn't a failed well... people just didn't use that much water back in the day. Maybe 5 to 10 gallons a day and that will probably produce that much or more.
          I have to disagree with this. Ground water was much more prevalent fifty years ago than it is today, at least in East .texas. That was a lot of trouble to brick that sucker up if they didn’t get a good well.

Comment

I don’t know anything about them but that’s a pretty neat find!

Comment

Is it right next to an old house/building? In Stonewall Co every old house has a cistern beside it where they would gutter the house to dump into. Pretty amazing to see how good of shape some of them are in.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  I have to disagree with this. Ground water was much more prevalent fifty years ago than it is today, at least in East .texas. That was a lot of trouble to brick that sucker up if they didn’t get a good well.

Yessir. The water table was likely higher then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hand dug water well. There is probably some remnants of an old homestead very near it. That was the case of the well I know about on family land. That one pictured looks nice with the brick and all. The ones I’ve seen are lined with rocks from the immediate area.

Comment

We have 2 exactly like that on our lease. Keep the kids away from it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        That doesn't even make sense... I said it wasn't a failed well then you disagree and say it wasn't a failed well. Huh?

Comment

The hand dug wells that always amazed me were the ones on top of a hill. Why would you dig a well on top of a hill instead of in the bottom? Some how they knew, there was always water in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                            The hand dug wells that always amazed me were the ones on top of a hill. Why would you dig a well on top of a hill instead of in the bottom? Some how they knew, there was always water in them.
                            The one at our house in Wilson county is at the top of the hill. The well is shallower than the hill is high. At times you can see the water actually moving at the bottom.

Comment

Found one on a place I owned in McLennan County. I took a small generator and submerged sump pump and did my best to drain, clean and cover it up. If my memory is correct, it was very similar in size and depth with brick cased. The water level was not very deep, but I could never get that well sucked completely dry, even in the dry months.

I would be interested if you attempted the same, if yours would replenish quickly?

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                                Yep, theres a well about 20 yards from on of my deer stands on a buddies place, on top of a hill, and the highest elevation on the property. Used to be a house there as well, lots of homestead remnants around, old tools, bricks, etc. We dropped a weight down it and hit water at 25ft, it was almost 30ft deep. There is a 13 acre tank about 600 yards away but nearly 50ft elevation change from that point.
                                Last edited by KDinTX; 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X