Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
    Would be interesting to know the percentage of archery recoveries as related to percentage of rifle recoveries.
    From my experience it's about the same. People with bows practice WAY more (usually). Guys with rifles tend to be over confident.

Comment

my guess is that the average would be about 15-20% lost

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
        If your recovery rate is low, I suggest practicing. You owe it to the animals you are hunting to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. I know it happens, but if it happens often for you, you're in the wrong game.
        This!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          From my experience it's about the same. People with bows practice WAY more (usually). Guys with rifles tend to be over confident.
          From my experience, it's overconfidence. Trying to make a perfect heart shot...the lungs are a tad larger... CENTER MASS!

Comment

In my 30 years of bowhunting, I've lost more shot with a rifle than bow. Albeit it one and it was rushed and I never should have taken the shot.

Comment

Was in the blind two nights ago with my 4 year old and my wife. She had her bow and was trying to get one of the 15+ does we have coming in regular. 15 minutes in the stand and they came in. Easy shot, 20 yards broadside. Doe lunged forward at shot and arrow hit gut, exited liver. My wife is an awesome shot with her bow regularly practicing out to 40 yards. Its just one of those things that happens.
              Doe did three large circles slowing down each time with gut hanging out both entry and exit then crashed in a yaopon before taking off again. never found her even with a dog. she made it to a neighbor who will not give us permission to track on that side the fence.

So far this year, she is 0-1 and i have not released an arrow yet.

Comment

My guess is it's lower than that I'd bet recovery is 60-65%. Before I grew up I pushed a lot of "dead" deer and lost them. I am now a shoot and wait guy. I am sure Tim will back this up!

Comment

I have said it for years..
                  I would hate to be a deer during archery season..
                  To many yahoo's hunting with archery equipment, or any equipment for that matter, that refuse to put in the time and effort it takes learn their equipment, what it takes to be effective and efficient at killing with their chosen equipment.. There is a whole more that is required to be efficient at killing than some realize....
                  Example: We should NEVER, ok rarely, see a post describing "lack of penetration"!!! I know it happens frequently on "hunting shows" but honestly it should rarely be a issue with today's technology in bows and broadheads.. There is entirely to many hunters that are choosing speed over Kenetic energy for a flatter flight path as to help with them compensate for lack of practice and their lack of ability to judge distance.. Kinetic energy is second in importance only behind accuracy.. It's obvious that many do not get this..

Comment

I’m in the 90% or more range for my archery career. I’ve only lost one doe over the years.

And to the rifle shooter questions... I’ve never lost a rifle shot animal. I’m not bragging by any means because it will probably happen this year if I was but I also don’t take many (like 3 maybe ever) shoulder/body shots. If I pull out the rifle to hunt, it’s for meat purposes and I prefer the bang flop method.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                      If your recovery rate is low, I suggest practicing. You owe it to the animals you are hunting to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. I know it happens, but if it happens often for you, you're in the wrong game.
                      Yes practice and learn your equipment or quit. Bowhunting is not for everyone.. Also learn the skeletal structure and where the vitals lie on any animal you are hunting.. They are not all made alike. Especially African animals.

Comment

Geez guys, if everyone would just use the "slash" arrows, or something similar, we'd all have 100% recovery
                        Attached Files

Comment

Personally, between four or five antelope, a dozen or so whitetails, and a few hogs, I’ve lost two whitetail does. One hit (I don’t have a clue where) in muscle judging by the arrow and lack of any bloodtrail. One gut shot (saw the arrow after the shot) because I hit the wire on the feeder pen. I learned two lessons there. Never shoot at a deer that’s looking at you and never shoot through the cattle panels. Ive lost a couple hogs but I don’t count them simply because to me they’re vermin. I don’t bow hunt them, only take a shot if they show while I’m deer hunting. They screw up too many expensive arrows !

Comment

In the 7 years we owned our hunting ranch we found 99% of the exotic deer anf 70% of the hogs using a dog.
                            We needed the dog on 40% of the deer and 50% of the hogs. There was no real difference between gun or bows.
                            Folks really seem to struggle with shooting too far back to the point when someone said they hit it "right behind the shoulder" I carried the dog and tracking gear when I went to pick them up.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	285.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	24595930

Comment

So many variables in this I bet. There are a lot of people who pull their bow out of the case to hunt and never practice. There are also a lot of knuckle heads that go buy a bow at academy and take it hunting the next day. There are also guys who practice religiously, and have very good luck. I bet the recovery rate fore experienced bowhunters who practice regularly and take it seriously is 90%.

Comment

I am around 90% recovery on WT and that is with a rough start my first few years losing a few. I have recovered 12 of the last 13. I did however lose 2 impala’s earlier this year in Africa so even with tons of practice and confidence it happens. My average on pigs is probably 70% mainly because I don’t look as hard if I don’t plan on cleaning. Patience and good tracking skills make a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X