Anyone use a Tamron 150-600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a Tamron 150-600?

Anyone use a Tamron 150-600? If so, how do you like it. G1 or G2?

I'm looking at getting a new lens and was taking a hard look at the Tamron.

Give me your thoughts on this lens.

I rented a G1 and it's a really good lens, I would go with the G2 though as the G1 is a bit of a dust pump.

Comment

Check out the Sigmas too. I have the Sigma 150-600 sport, and I've heard good things about the contemporary version too, it just lacks weather sealing if that is important.

Comment

I would go with the Sigma sport or find a used Canon 100-400 II. I’ve used both of these quite a bit and prefer the 100-400 as it’s lighter than the Sigma and easier to handhold first long periods of time.

Comment

I have the sigma Contemporary 150-600. It's half the weight of the sport, but isn't weather sealed. I've had it in light rain with no problems.

I'd suggest getting the latest generation of whatever lens you buy if you ever plan on using it on a crop body with a high megapixel sensor.

Comment

I have had the first generation Tamron and have really liked it. It is on my camera most of the time for those "opportunity" shots that come along when I am out in the country.

I don't know what changes were made to the lens from the first generation so I can't speak to that but as a general rule, it should be a little better. I believe from a pricing standpoint, it would be hard to find another lens for $1000 dollars that has quality. The Vibration Reduction feature is really nice allowing me to handhold it for a lot of shooting.

I know Sigma has the same lens and I am sure it is equally as good, my local dealer here just happens to carry Tamron so that is what I got. I use mine on a Nikon D700 FX (full frame) camera body.

Comment

Working...
            X